KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Take Care

Did KBGS have a caretaker? I don't recall one.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re: Take Care

Nor do I, cant visualise one at all.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

There was Sam, till about 1965/6. He was succeeded by Watson Barnes.

During the days in the Mechanics site, there was a team of men (and the occasional woman) who did for the Mechanics and the then school site. They were based on the bottom corridor (under the Mechanics Hall) in a room next to the Prefects' Room. Their duties must have been shared between the municipal and the scholastic. I remember they put up the milk crates and cleared them - in the area at the foot of the Old Man's Staircase. As prefects, we got to know them quite well - I can see their friendly faces now - but names escape me. They were very cooperative when it came to maintaining good school/town relations. They covered up well for one particularly boozy Prefect's Party (Christmas 1959) in the "new" library (Prut's Joy) when the dad of one of our number provided ales from the excellent but now defunct Rose Brewery of Malton - one time suppliers to The Granby at Riddlesden.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

The old school closed at Easter 1964, or did Sam transfer to Oakbank?? Was his surname Riley by any chance? (tongue in cheek)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re. Watson Barnes - Just to let everyone know that Watson celebrated his 90th birthday recently. He is/was a stalwart of the Steeton Male Voice Choir for many years. Baritone I believe.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 63 - I forget

Current location (optional) Keighley