KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What happened to the "Divi"

Much of the shopping that went on in the 50s was undertaken by us kids at the local corner shops - of which there must have been hundreds around Keighley. But the most memorable shopping trips were to the "Kworp" as the Co-Op was known locally. It was a wonderful bureaucratic experience with percentages to be calculated and entries made in the Pass Book, totalled and maybe redeemed some day. Could have been invented in India. I suppose it was as much a political statement as anything to shop there. Still, at least if you said "Have you any caster sugar?" you didn't get some gormless oik saying "Have you looked?" as you do now.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re: What happened to the "Divi"

Didja ever have to go and collect your mam's divi in Keighley? I think the queue started in Hanover Street on a day in January when it was allus wet and dreary? (This is starting to remind me of queueing to collect "gas coik" at the gas works depot in another street which began in the bus station and ended in Low Street (Help!!)) It was like nirvana to reach the doorway and begin to ascend the stairs to the office window where your credentials were examined and your credits registered. This was a less successful introduction to the world of shares than that foisted on us by M. Thatcher Esq. Going back to the Cworp point of sale, a "cheque", about the size of a bus ticket from the machine with a winding handle, was issued with each purchase. These were stuck on a card by your mam until you had a full sheet. If I recall correctly these sheets were presented to the organisation and contributed to the amassing of a full share on which the divi was based. I remember the divi being declared often above a shilling in the pound. Anything above and there was much rejoicing. Now it's just points on a card - may as well go to Tesco? Incidently, according to my "History of the Coop Movement" Keighley was the only Cooperative Industrial Society which had an iron works - between Thwaites and Parkwood as I recall. They also had a good team in the Keighley Cricket League.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

The Co-op ironworks was on Halifax Road next to the Kings' Head. There was a small public garden nearby and a gents' toilets where a young woman was found murdered in the [mid ??] fifties. My father worked at the ironworks from before WW2 'til the late fifties. There seemed to be limited regard for health and safety in those days. It was possible to wander in to see your dad fairly freely, though there was a strict rule that it should only occur during tea break. One of the senior managers was a fellow called Jim Somethingorother who was, I think, prominent in the local CoC. The ironworks made tank parts during the war and later switched to other types of large castings. I'm not sure when it closed - probably in the 70s along with most of the rest of Keighley.

Oh--the nostalgia for the old days !!!! Our Co-op was Cross Roads and the once a year divi day was a big day for the mums---a nice little windfall.The payout at the Coop Hall office(now virtually derelict)was almost a social event when the queue started up the steps.I can never forget my mum's number--112---.

Terry--I think it is College Street you are trying to think of.The North Eastern Gas Board office and showroom was in Cooke Lane and the back door was a big yard where the workshops were and the Coke yard.On Saturday mornings there was a steady procession of prams to wheel the coke home in.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

To clarify - the offices for the ironworks were in Halifax Road. The works itself was up Goulbourne Street [pronounced Golban Street]. I think the place in Parkwood was a tannery (or possibly a glue factory). It certainly had an obnoxious, if rather compelling, smell.

"Kworp" indeed! I was always mystified by my father's pronunciation of this. So it wasn't just him then!

Just to let you know Im back in circulation after a holiday.
I expect you all remember our mothers also collecting stamps from Brooke Bond dividend tea. Green packet, with an orange stamp. You cut them out and stuck them on a card. i seem to recall a full card was worth 5 shillings, though that may seema little high!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

The reference to 'Kworp' reminded me of Bernard Tennant's wife, Jan, who was mystified for years by Bernard's dad's constant reference to the 'Kworp' or 'Quarp'. Just emailed a recent letter to the Yorkshire Post to Chris on the same subject and, whilst nothing to do with KBGS, it does reflect the local dialect and how easily it is for us from 'God's own town' to baffle outsiders!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay