KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ken the Lop-sided Barber

Posting a note earlier about the Broster Ave bus service I was reminded of the left turn the bus took, half way up West Lane. It was at he junction with (I think) Devonshire Street West. At this junction, Devonshire Street West is higher than the steepish incline of West Lane, and there was a wedge-shaped row of shops tucked underneath. The first of these housed Ken's the Barber's shop. Ken had one leg shorter than the other. Unfortunately a popular haircut in the late fifties/ early sixties was the "square cut". You can imagine the rest...Ken also had loads of pictures of handsome geezers with flash friseurs. Didn't matter which one you chose, they all came out looking the same. Ken was good at the semi-crew, a kind of hedgehoggy looking effort that was popular for a couple of weeks. There were "things for the weekend" to be had there (Paul Helliwell explained to me the recreational activity they were designed to facilitate). Ken had wondrous black and chrome hexagonal squirty brylcreem machines. Brylcreem was invariably offered, towards the end of the haircut(and just before you ventured onto West Lane feeling chilly round the neck and itchy everywhere else), with the phrase "Dusta want paste on, lad"? Does anyone know what happened to Ken? Are those shops still there? Do kids still annoy the owner by jumping up and down on the flat roof, easily accessible from Devonshire Street West? Does anyone remember the name of Ken's assistant? Do others have stories of memorable Keighley business-people?

Re: Ken the Lop-sided Barber

What? Like the legendary monumental mason and chain smoker Aggie Bailey, alleged owner of a Stradivarius?

I think you made all that up,Allan. Sounds like a scene from the film "Goodfellas" or suchlike. Or "Godfather 3". They all get the brylcream and chestfulls of bullets.( But yes, I have a vague memory of it).
There was the scrapmerchant near Lawkholme. Can't remember the name. Allegedly made millions.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Tommy Holmes. The scrapyard is still there.

Tommy Holmes, blimey, there’s a blast from the past, from the flolklore of Keighley. Something mysterious about that place and him, to my young eyes. Did he really exist? Perhaps he was something of a Howard Hughes figure, hating the sight of rust and flying biplanes over Ilkley Moor in his later years. I suspect Rita Hayworth was once an ice-cream girl at the Essoldo.

Allan Jones is leaning on an open door here. Just wait till the Aussies and the Kiwis wecken up and there will be loads of "jer remember?"s.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Wonderful novel, incomprehensible Yorkshire dialect, JLCarr's "Month in the Country". Recommended.

Tommy Holmes was a director of Keighley RLFC. A neighbour of ours drove for him. Tommy, when he saw kids in the streets around Lawkholme,would throw handfuls of pennies at them and enjoy their scramble for them. It was said he was searching for talent for the Keighley pack who some seasons were starved of ball. There was a scandal involving his family and the club but the details were never understood.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln