KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hiking the Hills

In my memory there were regular and frequent hikes over the hills. Some were organised, like the midnight hikes starting at the Town Hall Square [it must have had an official name too] organised, I think, by the Council's Recreation Committee. There were also hikes organised by Lund Park Youth Club [on one of which Ann Fearnley nearly deposited me in tha river at Bolton Abbey].
The best, though, were the unofficial ones that we oragnised at the drop of a hat. These were quite often late Saturday night after the pub had shut and were usually in the general direction of Oakworth / top end of Fell Lane - very pleasant on a summer's evening. There was the added benefit that after a couple of hours walking over the hills we were a little less "one over the eight" on our return. Can't recall who the usual suspects were other than Graham Nolan.
I do recall one sunny summer Sunday when Brian Moate and I decided to walk over't tops to Colne and get the bus back. It was baking hot and we stopped at a farm and bought all the ice-cold milk we could drink from the farmer for 3d. After tiring of walking in the heat we hitched and got a lift from two young women in an open top car - paradise for a 13/14 yaer-old.
You must remember this Brian given your powers of memory.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re: Hiking the Hills

Jeez Shaun, where on earth did you drag that from??
I cannot remember it at all.!! Did they seduce us??
Maybe we can discuss further next Monday!
(Shaun and I are meeting for a drink at the Arcadia Wine Bar near to Headingley Post Office on the main Otley Rd (my office is above it!) 8pm if anyone else wants to surprise us and turn up. If its unduly busy in the Arcadia, we will move on to Haleys Hotel. From the Arcadia walk towards Leeds, through Headingley traffic lights , and after about 200 yds turn left into Shire Oak Rd. Haleys is on the left.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Or the right - depending which way you look at it.

On re-reading your middle-aged wishful thinking on the second line, I have to conclude that it must have been Graham Nolan I was with.

To return to the midnight hikes I mentioned - does anyone know who oragnised them? And which other KBGS lads went on them? The only one I can remember is Graham Nolan. And when were they? Summer holidays? Whitsuntide? Easter? {Oh ... and does anyone know where Whitsuntide went to be replaced by the "spring bank holiday"? And what was the prize for the winning team (there were teams of 3 I think)?

Shaun, I think most of the ones we did were just local Lund Park YC affairs, but there was one big one organised which involved all the town, many of those taking part were from the Scouts. This one went from Keighley over the top of Ilkley Moor, then up Wharfedale to Bolton Abbey, then I think to Barden Towers, and back into Skipton via Embsay. We ended up for breakfast at a transport cafe called the 'Tomato Dip' on the Keighley Rd out of Skipton. (Theres a smart restaurant called 'Henris' on this site now) I think I was with John Ackroyd and Brian Shuttleworth and I recall we came 12th out of about 50. But I think one Lund Park team beat us and was 10th, maybe you?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Yes Brian. Graham Nolan, Phil Nolan and myself - we came 9th after running the last three or four hundred yards racing three scouts whom we beat. Miracles do occasionally happen.