KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keighley Buses

Those red buses of the West Yorkshire Road Car Co. Can we between us remember all the route numbers?
A few to start with, but can't possible remember all of them for other areas of town:-

6 Fell Lane (also went down to Thwaites)
17 Oakworth
22 Bracken Bank Ave (also to Stockbridge)
23 Bracken Bank Cresc (also to Stockbridge)
67 Bradford
31 Leeds.
12 -didnt this go right through from Ilkley to Haworth via Keighley?
What number was Oxenhope? And places like Braithwaite and Laycock (that one might have been No 7). Utley ??
Long Lee?? Hainworth?? Colne?? Morton Banks Hospital??
There was also another company which strangley ran to Ossett, near Wakefield . Brown single decker, no 10 I think.COme to think of it the Colne bus may also have been brown, and not WRRCC.
Must have been several more.
Also I remember playing sort of games with ticket numbers, and an associated rhyme
1 for sorrow, 2 for joy , 3 for a letter, 4 for a boy(girl in our case) 5 for silver, 6 for gold, and 0 for secret never to be told.
But how did we arrive at these, add up the numbers and divide by 7 and see what the remainder was??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Keighley Buses

I can't remember a single one! Not even the one from town to home. Other questions could be :
- When did the first double decker appear in Keighley?
-Were they always red?
-One could also bring in " sharrers" as we called them. Not sure of the spelling there, if indeed it had one.
We quite obviously followed different paths job-wise Brian!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

The Calver Avenue bus, Alan, was number 2. The Guardhouse bus was number 4; and the Laycock bus was number 7. Those were the routes nearest to home for us. The number 2 used to terminate opposite the entrance to Burgess's rec, but was later extended to the end of Shann Avenue (??), and later on to Braithwaite, I think. Only the number 7 left from the bus station. The 2 and the 4 left from the Town Hall Square, near the public lavvies. To our house in the early sixties: 4d on the 4; 3d on the 2.

Number 2!! I certainly believe you, but doesn't mean anything to me. I'm getting a bit worried ! For some reason 58 was in my head. And the prices! I really don't know how you remember. We moved from 4,Crag Street in Woodhouse on the other side of the valley, when I was about eight. That house has long been demolished. We shared a lav up the street with another one or two neighbours. I'm sure people wanted to know that.

I'm glad to be privy to that information Alan.
Regarding the buses - I thought Bracken Bank Avwnue was 21 and Crescent 22. Don't recall games with tickets, but I do recall the unholy racket on the bus home from school, and every winter I have 2 knuckle joints that remind me of the time I punched Dave Pamment in the teeth, when we were larking about on the Avenuw bus, splitting his lip and dislocating two of my fingers. Fortunately he was a St. John's Ambulance lad and got them back in for me [after a fashion]. It's a good job Vince wasn't on the bus that day.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Nice one Shaun.Took a while before it dropped.
Bracken Bank? Was that on the way to Laycock? Laycock, used to bike through there sometimes on the way back from biking to the Watchtower overlooking ..er..Silsden? Great views, great bike ride. I seem to remember a signpost for something Ford. Laycock had a plaque in memory of a little girl run over by a steamroller. Now, that might seem like folklore, but that's the story we used to believe. Now,,bus numbers.....

Suddenly thought of one route I'd go on sometimes. So here's the question : what was the number of the bus which went through Stockbridge, turned left into Riddlesden, went up a winding steep road eventually going past the Willow Tree pub, then I believe coming down past the Granby and over the canal bridge back on to Bradford Road? Blimey Brian you've unleashed a monster here.

Sorry, I'm getting taken by all this. I think I'm confusing Laycock and Gooseye? Or were they close together? Also the something Ford on the bike ride might have not been ford at all but Newsholme Dean, which certainly rang a bell when scouring one of the links on this site.
Thy kiss is sweet, thy words are kind,
Thy love is all to me;
Aw couldn't in a palace find
A lass more true nor thee;
An' if aw wor the Persian Shah,
An' thee mi Lovely Queen,
The grandest diamond I' mi' Crown
Wor t'Lass o' Newsholme Dean

The lady gay may heed that not,
An passing by may sneer;
The upstart squire's dowers laugh,
When thou, my love, art near;
But if all three Shannon' sovereigns
War warred o' satins green,
They mightn't be as handsome then
As t'Lass o' Newsholme Dean

When yellow autumn's lustre shines;
An' hangs her golden ear,
An' nature's voice fra every bush
Is singing sweet and clear,
'Neath some white thorn to song unknown,
To mortal never seen,
'Tis there with thee I fain was be,
Mi Lass o' Newsholme Dean

Oh drat, who cares for kings or queens,
Mix'd in a nations' broil,
They niver benefit the poor-
The poor mun ollas toil.
An' thou gilded spectre, royalty,
That dazzles folks's een,
Is nowt to me when I'm wi thee,
Sweet Lass o' Newsholme Dean.

High fra the summit o' yon' crag,
I view yon' smoky town,
Where forten she has deigned to smile
On monny a simple clown;
Though free fra want, they're free fra brains;
An' yet no happier I ween,
Than this old farmer's wife an' hens,
Aw saw i' Newsholme Dean.

I've a feeling that the Colne bus was No 9, Sutton was 8, Skipton 10, Silsden 11, and there was a bus that ran from Skipton to Bradford which might have been 65. We could ask Keith Lowcock - he lived at Steeton and could have caught any of these into Keighley (but most of them were full!!)
The Keighley-Colne service was run jointly by the red West Riding buses and Burnley, Colne and Nelson Joint Transport - the latter's buses were a sort of cream colour in the main, with some broad brown stripes. These could be spotted from the old GS buildings in town, travelling along North Street.

Current location (optional) Barnsley

It's Slippery Ford.
No2 Was the Black Hill bus, I should know I put my girlfriend now wife of 36 years on it often enough. It's stand was adjacent to the Town Hall Square opposite what was the Keighley & Craven Building Society (now the Abbey)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

The bus (usually a model known as "the piggy bus") was No. 13 that turned up Granby Lane and turned round at The Willow Tree, Riddlesden, returning by the same route. I think the fare was 5d; and 2d to Stockbridge. I occasionally got off at Bar Lane (when the bus was full) and would then run up the hill (taking a straight route while the bus meandered and stopped for alighting passengers), crossing the bus on Banks Lane and just getting to The Willow Tree as the bus arrived. We was poor but we was fit - and 3d to the good.- Alas no more.
Wasn't the No: 58 the bus that took the alternative route to Bradford via Cross Roads and Denholme?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Slippery Ford sounds very familiar.Funny you should talk about running up to the Willow Tree, Terry. I used to run up from town to home. Think I'd need oxygen cylinders and crampons to make the ascent now.......but there is a Newsholme Dean? I'll have to search out my OS map I bought once years ago on a visit back to the homeland. Should be some great names on there to conjure a few memories.Here's your prize Terry for answering the question. . Can't find beer.

Quite right-no 12 ran from Haworth to Ilkley.No 18 was the Oxenhope bus.The single decker bus to Ossett was maroon,and the double decker to Colne was green.I believe there was an occasional cream one on the run too.Terry,I think you are right about 58 being the Bradford run through Cross Roads,Cullingworth and Denholme. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

You're right Alan, Newsholme Dean did exist and made a great day out with picnic- but I can't remember where it is.
My favourite bus routes were:-
The one I used to take over't tops to Leeming to visit my aunts shop - can't imagine where the route went after that.
The little old bus that ran to Oldfield on Wenesdays and Saturdays - morning into town - evening out. Only 1 bus each way.
Best of all the single deck boneshaker that ran to Stanbury via Haworth going up the amazing cobbled main street. A wonderful trip, and I never heard of any driver hitting the buildingd st the top of Main Street even though clearance on each side was less than 6".
Can't recall any of the route numbers though.

Same here, Shaun - but I think the first step was a bus to t'top o' Fell Lane and then you legged it. As a kid, you just tagged on behind your parents and neighbours whining "Ah we theer yet?" so I can't remember the way. There was a caff at Newsholme Dene where you could buy pop and crisps, and if I recall aright, swings and lots of open space for running around and laiking daft games, like rounders and pise ball (same difference). Can anyone offer an explanation why the "pitcher" (US term) in pise ball (Keighley style) was called the "pieser"? It was prime position 'cos you didn't have to run after the slogged balls. And if there were lots slogged - you fair got slagged. Answers on 5 sides of foolscrap, please.

"Newsholme Dean is the valley in the upper reaches of North Beck, Keighley".

Having consulted my OS map, Newsholme Dean is situated between Goose Eye and Slippery Ford ( wonderful names!) and the theory that it could be accessed on foot from the top of Fell Lane seems correct. There were other ways, which brings me back to my earlier post about biking, via the Tarn, to the watchtower and sometimes on returning taking the wheels through Laycock to make it a round trip, as it were : on such a return I would have seen a sign for Slippery Ford and.....perhaps, Newsholme Dean. Elementary my dear Watson. I'd like to find that corner of the universe on my next visit.

Anyone remember the X67 to Bradford? A real rocket ship, it only stopped three or four times en route. We always gave a regal wave to the lower orders, waiting patiently for a regular bus.

I think that buses to Silsden were no. 12, not 11,and an hourly service did a little tour of the village via Dradishaw Rd. I used to jump off outside our house when the driver changed down to crawler gear up the steep hill.

As a student, post KBGS, I eagerly sought well remunerated holiday jobs. The best I could do for a time was as a cleaner with the West Yorkshire Road Car. I well remember sitting in the canteen in the bus station in 1962 listening to the news that Yorkshire had won the County Championship wresting it from the grasp of Ingleby-Mackenzie's Hants. They had a good side then - I saw 3 days when they stuffed Warks at Scarborough. Perhaps some new threads should ensue - ie jobs with WYRC; student jobs; Yorkshire cricket.

One summer, I cleaned (ie spring) all the rooms in the bus station. It kept me in close contact with the 'bus crews who divulged the "goings on". One was the invitation to join the "Botherers" which I came to understand meant bothering with the other sex. Sadly I never got the invite. I did , however, learn of the scam operated by some cheeky chap. The early evening bus for visiting the Keighley Vic Hospital was parked on Lawkholme Crescent, next to the "Old Mans' Park", by a crew who went off shift. The ticket machine was stowed under the stairs. Some enterprising ne'er do well waited until the bus was filling with folk going to see sick relatives - and then (in civvies - as some staff worked) went round the bus taking fares and issuing tickets making sure he cleared off before the next crew came on duty. The passengers (being Keighley folk) objected strongly to the invitation to pay twice for the same ride.

One thing I remember from the scores of trips I made on the No 17 to Oakworth - after snowfalls the bus wouldn't stop at the end of Lawnswood Road, it would stop at the bottom of Fell Lane but then keep going until it reached the top of Oakworth Rd. So you either got off at the bottom and walked the rest of the way or you jumped off as it passed Lawnswood Road - could be hilarious if you didn't land straight on your feet!
Newsholme Dean - yes, I can smell the bluebells right now!
Nice lyrics Alan, sing them to the traditional tune - Sweet Rose of Allandale!

tp

Well I hardly expected 20 replies in a couple of days!

Just a few comments on what has been written:-
AB - 'Sharra' came from the french 'charabanc' for a luxury vehicle.
Shaun, - I still think BB Ave was 22 that passed your house, and I think there was both a 21 and a 23 with slightly different routes to BB Crescent, but these went along Halifax Rd then up Ingrow Lane.

To get to Newsholme Dean you got off the Fell Lane Bus at its(then) terminus, by a small pond with ducks (just below John Ackroyds). Cross the road through a stile and down into the valley, known as Holme House Woods, but which was usually corrupted to Old Mouse Woods. From there you could follow the North Beck all the way to Newsholme Dean and onward to Slippery Ford.

Thanks for jogging the memory - the Old Mouse Woods trail to Newsholme Dean has now been reprogrammed and you are right about the 21,22 and 23.

Wasn't the Bradford bus, via Cullingworth, Denholm, etc. number 57 (not 58)? I used to catch it more regularly following the move to Oakbank because, although the end-to-end journey took longer than the 67 (via Bingley), you avoided the extra trip into town and connection hassles by walking down to Ingrow.
The 67X, which someone mentioned a couple of days and 100 postings ago, would have been a great time-saver (X standing for "Express"?), stopping at only about 3 places en-route. Unfortunately "West Yorkshire" had this perverse policy of terminating the service about a mile from the Bradford bus station - thereby ensuring its exclusivity and negating the advantage for plebs like ourselves who needed a connection to the Halifax bound "Hebble".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 -65

BM..yes, I had a tiny soupcon about charabanc!!

As a Queensbury lad, the 67 to Bradford was our daily means of transport. The X67 was favourite but if you got detention (as some of us did regularly)it was on the ordinary service back home.
Coming in the morning, at least when I was in the VIth form, we had a flashy coach which Keighley West Yorkshire hired to run a special works service to Bradford and then recouped some of the cost by using it as an X67 on the way back. From Bradford up to Queensbury, we used the Hebble number 17 which ran on to Halifax. As a Uni student, I worked a summer vac as a conductor for the Hebble, the highlight of my career being when my driver took his double decker into the single decker section of the garage!
In response to Alan Britten's comment, the spelling is "chara", being a corruption of "charabanc" which comes from the French "char à bancs", ie cart with benches.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 51-58

Current location (optional) Cleckheaton

Brian C - yes absolutely right, there was a 57 which went to Bradford via Cullingworth, but I'm not sure it went to Denholme, didnt it then go via top of Wilsden, past the Ling Bob pub? But there was a bus to Denholme, so maybe it was the 57.

I think it's time for the definitive list of numbers of buses and their routes.

This 'bus' thread is brilliant - I think it should be sent to Michael Palin as a script for another series of Ripping Yarns - it all reminds me so much of Eric Olthwaite and his Spear&Jackson No5 shovel!

tp

On reflection, "our" buses and drivers performed heroic deeds way back then. Many of them would find the Monaco Grand Prix a piece of cake. In winter, when conditions were icy and snowy, they for the most part still got us around, admittedly with the odd wheel spin and skids. I believe they used chains when it got really bad. Wasn't there the tale of the driver who regularly did the Haworth route taking his double-decker over the Simplon Pass in blizzard conditions? Heroes, the lot of 'em.

Brian M.
The 57 I'm thinking of (if indeed it was No.57!), after leaving Cullingworth went on to Denholm and Denholm Gate, turning left at The Brown Cow pub (Keelham Cross-roads) before continuing down via Thornton village. From there, it ran in parallel with the BCT trackless ("trolley bus", for any ex.pats with short memories!) straight through Fairweather Green, Girlington, etc. into the City centre.

This thread has brought back a memory of when the school moved to Oakbank,which coincided with my final term.Arriving into the Bus Station on the 67 I suddenly realised that I wasn't quite sure which bus I needed.Being already late there was no one around so I finally opted for the Bracken Bank which started from the top side of the Town Hall square.Being the first day I assume that no one worried too much about late comers.
Further recollections were that the No 14 went to East Morton, and with reference to Hebble buses I remember they used to run a service from Bingley over "the tops" to Bradford starting from the terminus on waste ground at the top of the Main St.

I'd forgotten about the "over the tops" Hebble service, Brian. Never caught it myself, but I believe lads from areas like Harden and Wilsden used it as a connection to the W.Y.67 in Bingley.

Brian Craven has it right--the 57 did go through Denholme and turned left at the Brown Cow----One of the most bizzare bus rides to school I recall was about 1949-50 and it was probably the worst pea soup fog I've ever known.The conductor walked in front of the bus all the way to Keighley,waving a torch back at the driver.We were picked up late at Cross Roads and it was way after 10 o'clock by the time we got to school.There were stories in the Keighley News about people getting lost in their front gardens.Sounds unbelievable when I think of it,but it really happened.Cheers.

Don't forget thr number 16 to Oldfield

A few have mentioned Slippery Ford - I passed through there today on my way back to Barnsley from Cowling. Extensive work has been done on the bridge there (Allan J and a few more probably remember that area as it's at the bottom of the lane leading up to Keighley Moor's gamekeeper's house (Higher Intake), and was used by the Land Rovers that used to ship us out for the beats). For interested anoraks, Multimap.com (the 1:25000 version) shows both Higher Intake and the Shooting Box, where we had our sarnies (spelt 'snap' in Barnsley!)
Sorry this has nothing to do with buses!
Incidently, I've not heard of the whereabouts of John Bailey since leaving school. We went our separate ways, ie to Uni (infinity) and beyond.

Current location (optional) Barnsley

Where's this definitive list?...................................................................Brian? Or is it not compilable yet.The trip over to Leeming Bar was excellent. Blubberhouses way, I believe.I'd go that way to see relatives in Durham.

2 Calver Ave
4 Guardhouse
6 Fell Lane -Thwaites (via the town)
7 Laycock
8 Sutton
9 Colne
10 Skipton
11 Silsden (though the 12 also passed through)
12 Haworth - Ilkley
13 Riddlesden (Granby Lane)
16 Oldfield
17 Oakworth (and Hebble 17 to Halifax)
18 Oxenhope
21/23 Bracken BAnk Crescent
22 Bracken Bank Ave.
31 Leeds
57? Bradford via Cullingworth
67/X67 Bradford (some went through to Skipton)

What number was the Stanbury Bus?
Im also sure there was a No 1, and I think there was also a 5. Dont remember a 3 though.

PS I am on holiday from next Wednesday for two weeks.
Back August 4th if you wonder where Ive gone!

Mention of the Hebble bus also brings to mind the Yorkshire Woolen district number 2 to Ossett.

Brian, as mentioned you can add No 14 - Morton

What about the 13A West Riddlesden bus that terminated somewhere near the end of Scott Lane West.
Bonus marks for anyone who can locate and identify the terminuses (termini) of these routes in the town.

The Haworth Terminus-no.12- was the first one in on the left as you approach the main building.Silsden/Ilkley in front of that with Bradford via Bingley the front one.
Next to the coffee bar--Colne-next to that Bradford via Denholme---I'm not quite sure whether the Ossett bus shared that stop or was next door.The Oxenhope was the end one near College Street.Someone else can fill in the rest--it's over 51 years since I left Keighley ! Cheers.

What about the greenbus to Todmorden and Hebden Bridge?
We who lived at Cross Roads preferred to get the Toddy Bus at 4.05pm as it usually arrived home at Cross Roads earlier than the 4.05 Haworth bus,due to fewer stops en route.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-56

Anyone remember the ‘16’ to Oldfield and the ‘26’ to Stanbury. Can’t remember the Hainworth service number but the fact that it only ran on market days!

Brian’s ‘brown’ bus to Ossett was in fact red and operated by ‘Yorkshire’ out of Dewsbury.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

There's a bus no-one's mentioned yet - and I'm not entirely sure whether it mightn't be a figment of my fevered imagination...it was the Broster Avenue bus that turned left half way up West Lane then disappeared into deepest Guardhouse. In my memory of it, they often used a single decker. In response to Brian M's missing number 3 bus, I think this might have been it. Anyone else remember this bus, or am I making it all up??? Again.

Well, thanks for the extra comments, though I'm not going to type out the whole list again. Would someone else like to have a go?
The more I think about it , the more I am convinced that there was a number 5 to Victoria Hospital. Of course quite a few of us would have been born there.

Fell Lane no 6 terminus in town was outside Willis Walkers in Cavendish Street, and the Bracken Bank services(21,22,23) were along the North St side of the Town Hall Square.

To broaden the scope of this thread a little, does anyone remember the little chap who sold the Telegraph and Argus in the bus station during the early to mid 60's? Looking not unlike Wilbur Bloomfield, he always wore a shabby topcoat and turned-down wellies, whatever the weather.

Can't say I remember him but I bet he had a look-alike in every town in the UK.

And, of course, "under t'bus station clock" was the place to meet on a Friday or Saturday evening prior to sampling whatever delights Keighley had to offer . .

If he had turned down wellies and a grubby mac it was probably Teddie Reynolds. He got all over the Lawkholme/Eastwood end of town. He could be heard crying "pay-po" outside the railway station. He used to follow up his roundsmen(boys)in lower Eastwood offering a choice between the "Yorkshire Evening Post" and the "Telegraph and Argus". Saturdays he sold "Star Finals". Teddie had very poor sight but he could give change unfalteringly using his hypersensitive thumb and forefinger to identufy the coins. There were several unkind quips that the local lads used to call to him - but he was a popular character - wish we still had similar today.

Yes, IW (what's your full name?)I certainly remember the little old newspaper seller under the clock of the main bus station building-(usual rendezvous for meeting one's talent from the Girls' Grammar School!)Wasn't there also a sweet shop/kiosk in the building opposite the enquiry office? Used to catch the 67 or X67 limited stop from just down from his 'pitch'.
The buses I caught from Bingley were normally one or other of these but occasionally the 31 Leeds bus - wasn't there also a X33 but I can't remember the route?
Found my bus pass from the late 1960's which I've scanned and sent for posting on the photos section.This 5-day ticket was only valid of course during term-time up to 9.30 am and surprisingly 7.30pm,issued of course by the West Yorkshire Road Car Company.This was for use to "Keighley School" and obviously I had to catch the 17 Oakworth bus from the next stand down and opposite the Bradford one.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-68

I was going to add, when coming from the Town Hall Square to the bus station, you had the Post Office to the right and the Milk Bar to the left, with Terry Hollindrake spotted occasionally with ladder and bucket,and you went through the arcade to the Clock, on the left being a ticket office, and to one's right a ...another ticket office? Weren't there public toilets near the Clock? Opposite the Clock there was a newsagents with kiosque type counter serving you as you were on the pavement.

For my sins ( and a weekly pay packet) one summer's holiday I had the task of cleaning, amongst other rooms, the bogs in the bus station . I would put a notice on the door and lock myself in. It was essential to ignore the banging on the door from the incontinent. The curses fron the "ladies" and the reading on the walls of their loos were my first introductions to proper pornography.

As regards the paper seller - we had a lad in our class by the name, I think, of Billy Jessop. His dad was a paper seller round that area and we used to hear him hollerin' out when we were still in class. We used to have a good laugh about it with Billy.
Billy was a poor lad, as you can imagine, and I often wondered what became of him - I hope he did well!!

tp

Just had a quick look at the '58 panorama and Billy Jessop is in the 2nd front row and directly in front of Cockerill. Anybody else remember him or know what became of him.Steering away from buses I guess (pun intended).

tp

Alan--the office to the right used be Cooks Travel if the old memory serves me right.Cheers.

In response to Brian's request .....

KEIGHLEY BUSES

1 Utley Spring Bank
2 Keighley Black Hill Corner
2* Keighley Ossett
3 Keighley Broster Avenue
4 Keighley Guardhouse Avenue
6 Thwaites Fell Lane
7 Keighley Laycock
8 Keighley Sutton
9 Keighley Colne
10 Keighley Skipton
11 Keighley Crosshills
12 Haworth Silsden
Silsden Dradishaw Road
(50 minutes past the hour)
Ilkley
13 Keighley Ridlesden - Willlow Tree
13A Keighley West Riddlesden
14 Keighley East Morton
16 Keighley Oldfield
17 Keighley Oakworth
18 Keighley Oxenhope
21 Stockbridge Bracken Bank Crescent
22 Stockbridge Bracken Bank Avenue
23 Utley Bracken Bank Crescent
26 Keighley Stanbury
31 Keighley Leeds
X31 Keighley Leeds (Express)
57 Keighley Bradford via Denholme
67 Keighley Bradford
X67 Keighley Bradford (Express)

Still some missing though.

Current location (optional) Embsay

A Sterling effort David!
Can anybody confirm that No 5 just went to Victoria Hospital?

My father worked on the buses.

The X67 terminus was John Street in Bradford, rather than the usual Chester Street terminus.

To get to Newsholme Dean, there is a path from Newsholme village (up above Slack Lane and the crem. or you can go several ways from Goose Eye:

1. From the Turkey turn right across the road bridge, ignore the cobbled road and take the stile on the right just before the road starts to go up steeply. then follow the path along the beck past teapot dam.

2. Turn left at the Turkey and left again at the end of the terrace. The road/path goes part way up the hillside and then drops down into Newsholme Dean.

3. There is vehicular access via a windy little road at the top of Goose Eye Brow (it drops to the left after the Laycock road on the right). Part way along you drop off to the left on a track.

Incidentally Newsholme Dean has a nice stone (single stone span) footbridge, like the one washed away and replaced horribly at Bronte Waterfalls. I like to look at the Newsholme Dean bridge and ponder how it was built, and also ponder why it was necessary to use a helicopter to replace the one at Bronte waterfalls.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 60-67

The X67 Keighley- Bradford had a time of 28 mins +
2 mins turnround.IT STOPPED AT CROSSFLATS, BINGLEY and SALTAIRE.28 mins meant that the driver was up in 555mph/the max that a DX BUS(that was WYRCC typing meaning DOUBLE LODEKKA)would do in 5th gear.The 2 old busses on the Stockbridge-Brackenbank routes were
I think KDB26 and KDB 27. Sometimes they were on the Guardhouse run. If the driver missed his gearchange from 1st to 2nd by the catpark in DEVONSHIRE STREET IT WAS 200 yards screaming in firstgear until he could try again.I was one of the drivers 19667/1967. I never drove the piggybusses to Riddlesden,when I was there they were one man opperated SMAs With 1 SMP, This was a special with a Perkins engine and a DAVID BROWN gearbox, it went like the clappers if you could find the gears

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 54/58

Current location (optional) SWEDEN

This thread is becoming deeply sad, as my son would say.

What a topic and what a wonderfull lot of names are popping up. Fisrt to answer one query no 5 bus was to Victoria hospital. I am back in the 1940's and the services ran from the new bus station and also from adjoining the square. the latter to Guard House and Victoria Hospital.I used to walk round Guard House in 1938-9 whan it was a building site. Had to go through it to Holme House Wood on the way to Goose Eye Brow , Newsholme Dean ,where we stopped for tea and cake and then to Slippery Ford.
There was a bus service used some lovely cream and brown touring style buses which put all the others to shame .on the Osset route , was it the Woollen Co or something similar.
The West Yorks ran double deckers with the open platform at the back which was brilliant for jumping on and off at corners, traffic lights or any suitable situation. Howwever if you missed the stop and were rushing to get off and the damned bus was moving off and you jumped staight out you were flat on your face in a flash.
At times we went to another spot with a curious name "Flappit Springs" A pub in the Cullingworth area.
Finally in reply to Terry re the thrower being the "Pieser" at rounders, we used that expression but I have never heard it anywhere else.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

The reminiscences in the previous posting, concerning "legging off" from the rear platform of buses, reminds me vividly of one such incident involving maths teacher Jim Wilkinson.
I've recounted the tale as part of another thread, I know, but it was a rare treat for us pupils on the 67 that morning. Jim,who regularly boarded the bus in the Stocksbridge area, had a neat(up to that day at least) trick of legging off, carrying a loaded briefcase, as the bus rounded the corner at the top of Cavendish Street. The story from here on is pretty much as recounted above. It was difficult to tell which part of Jim's sizeable anatomy was reddest during that morning's assembly

There certainly was a Yorkshire Woollen Bus Company and I believe it did have the tasteful cream and brown livery. There was also Yorkshire Traction Bus Co. but I'll be blowed if I can remember its' routes or livery.

There was a cream/brown bus which I believe was used to pick up workers for the mills at Denholme--it came from Keighley via Cross Roads where I used to see it and had a picture of a sheepdog on the side and the name "Shep" or similar.
Mike you brought back a memory.At Cross Roads we had a park keeper called Ernest Astley----likeable chap who lived near us but he did enjoy a pint or two and his favourite watering hole was the Flappit,mentioned above.He used to catch the last bus from Bradford to Keighley,via Thornton etc. One Sat night we were talking(Kalling)outside the butchers at Cross Roads when the bus came down from the Flappit,went slowly around the bend to stop outside the pub but Ernest had already left it.In his innebriated state he fell off the back step in front of us,rolled a few times on the road,picked himself up,shook himself and staggered off up Bingley Road,apparently unhurt.It was that incident which educated us to the fact that if you are drunk you are less likely to hurt yourself in a fall because of your relaxed state.That was about '50/51 I guess. Cheers.

Horsfall's of Glusburn ran a works bus between Keighley and their mill (Hayfield Mills). It left North Street from the bus stand roughly outside the Regent. I seem to remember it was blue - but as I was usually half asleep when I legged it up Lawkholme to catch it just as it left at 0700 I can't be too sure. That was in the mid-50s. From achieving age 15 (the then school leaving age) I don't think a school holiday went by when I didn't have a holiday job - some of them with the West Yorkshire Road Car Company. I recall that as some of the fares had a ha'penny in them, the ha'penny was the basic unit for reckoning up a clippie's takings. This gave the figure that could be read from the underside of the machine and that they could be seen copying on to their return sheets at the terminus. No such problem with the Horsfall's bus. Spinners, doffers and twisters all travelled buckshee.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

The Flappit pub has been mentioned twice on this thread. Maybe this should be on the pubs thread, but I was asked once how the name originated (by a guy who lives in Scotland who had been in the area). It was originally Flaypit (The field opposite has a deep gully but the stream has gone) where hides used to be 'flayed' before being sent to the tannery.

I see KDG 26,a classic`bus about Kly.There is a bus museum etc.in Kly but the bus in question is back at K and D bus depot.The sight of the `bus always evokes memories of KBGS times and when I used to catch this `bus to and from the Grammar School.Happy un P.C. times.

Current location (optional) Haworth

Yes, Terry, ha'pennies were the currency. The half fare on the bus from Ingrow to town was three ha'pence. Amazing. I'll bet it's thirty bob now.

Here it is Brian.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Was there a '19' to Leeming?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 -1966

Current location (optional) Lancing

Yes , you may be right Dave

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

In my time at School, most of the 'fifties, Bus route 1 was Ingrow-Stockbridge AND Utley-Stockbridge. In town, going in the Stockbridge direction, it left from just outside School - well the old Art School actually - and if you went along the B corridor to the Music Room there was an (forbidden) exit which then led up five or six external steps to the bus stand. Handy for those of us who lived down Stockbridge. The buses, I remember, were every ten minutes and this illicit exit from School could get you an extra ten minutes at home at 'dinner' time - which was vital if there happened to be a test match on telly...

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

What was the point of the Osset bus? Did anyone ever go to Ossett? Why were these two great towns linked?

Was it so that people could get out of Ossett?

Who remembers trolley buses starting at Crossflatts? When did they stop running?

I also vaguely remember seeing a khaki bus on the Oakworth,17, route in the 40s.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Briggus

The trolly buses started at Cross Flats just after the war . We used to go to Bingley to see the cricket ,they had a team in the Bradford League . We admired the quiet running and speedy acceleration compared to the rotten old buses we had to put up with at the time

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

This site tells the story of the Crossflatts’ trolley buses
https://davidbeilby.zenfolio.com/p42153356

That busty brunette conductress on the Denholme route

The old bus routes are good to visualise. But what about the busty brunette that was mainly conducting on the Denholme route. The sexy conductress could be seen strutting her stuff around the bus station on occasions whilst displaying her uniformed attributes. That D-stream lothario Neville Lumbers claimed to have had brief fling with her on the back seat upstairs on a late night bus to his home village of Denholme. A salacious story to savour back in the day.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-68

Current location (optional) Bingley

Re Buses

A mate of mine at junior school lived on Oakworth Moor, beyond White Hill, alongside a few kids from neighbouring farms and a special Bronte bus was laid on for Oakworth scholars. There was a bus turning space a'top gate on his unmade access lane.

His farm was below the Big Dam and had running water but no electricity but it did have its own energy company - a peat dig.

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Re: Re Buses

With the back access double-deckers it was easy to leg-on and off.

P Lancaster
With the back access double-deckers it was easy to leg-on and off.
...and fall over.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55/60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

One day when I was about 16 I was walking round Church Green towards South Street with a mate (could have Been Dave Pamment but I'm not sure). The buses going out of Keighley along South Street would often slow down and stop opposite the end of Church Green. Was there a zebra crossing further up the road? That day a bus did just that and there was a young woman wearing a kilt type skirt leaning against the rail on the platform. She decided to leg off the bus. Somehow her skirt must have become entangled on the rail. As she legged off the skirt didn't, and the bus then took off. She ran off up the road, obviously trying to catch up with the bus at the next stop, covered in confusion ............. and not a lot else. Moral - don't leg off a bus, you can do more that fall over.

Yes Shaun, I have a feeling there was a zebra crossing next to a pub at the bottom of Goulbourne Street?