KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Northern/Southern Hemisphere Rugby

Old Boys of KBGS, who have a passion for rugby, owe much of that to Frank and Gil - and the policy decision of T.P.Watson.

From these postings, it is clear that many old Keighlians have crossed the line and reside south of the Equator - where, it appears from the last Lions/All Blacks Test, there is a difference of approach to the game on the issue of what is permitted violence in what is in honesty a violent game.

In my day the only inducement to "violence" that was promulgated from KBGS staff were the words of Phil Croft who urged you to get your first tackle in hard and early so that you could smell the breakfast of your opposite number - and he would part with the ball in quicksticks when he next saw you approaching.

The dumping (spear tackling) of the Lions' captain (albeit an Irishman who never attended KBGS) on his head/shoulder, with a serious injury an almost certainty, when play had moved a phase further - in the first minute of the game - is hardly in the spirit of the game.It would have been more discreet to have done it in the tunnel before the game.

Is this northern hemisphere pommish wingeing? Or, with the boot on the other foot (or should it be the fingers "inadvertently" in the other mouth) would this be an excuse for another "bodyline" colonial revolution?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Northern/Southern Hemisphere Rugby

Living in Victoria, which is an Aussie Rules State, I was absolutely delighted/surprised to see that I would be able to watch a recording of the game at 6am on the Sunday morning. When my good wife nudged me with her elbow and said, 'er, Trev, it's 7.30' I was not a happy camper!! So, I did miss the said tackle which has caused so much controversy down here but my good friend Tony Woodwiss who actually went to the game, and who is unapologetically a one-eyed All Black supporter, said that Umaga & Mealamu should have had at least a 6 week suspension. The general distribution of opinions appears to me to come down on the side of those who thought the tackle was out of character for Umaga but nevertheless a dangerous tackle that should have reaped a serious penalty.
If the 1/2 hour of the game I did manage to watch was any indication of the previous hour then I did myself a favour by sleeping in!!
And yes, I'm supporting the British & Irish Lions.

tp

It was a pretty ugly tackle and no credit to the two guys involved.A lot of "letters to the Editor"in our papers are quite critical---- the actual replays during the match didn't show much but the next day we saw a different lot of slowmos which clearly showed the lifting.It raises a few questions,not the least being the system in place for citing foul play and the judiciary.The guy making the judgment was brought in from Sth Africa for this one match,made his ruling and promptly flew off back to Sth Africa the next morning.The touchie who should have seen the incident and kept quiet is the ref for this Sat.in Wellington,and he refuses to discuss it saying he is focussed on the coming match.Having said all that-the Lions were rubbish and not fit to be out there.I don't know if you are seeing the reports from former Lions but guys like JPR Williams,Willie John McBride,are scathing.There are 7 changes to the team for this weekend so that is an admission from Woodward that he got it wrong.Trevor--would you like me to ring you to wake you up in plenty of time????????? Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

ps-I forgot to mention that the weather forecast is for a good day on Saturday---quite the opposite to last weeks terrible southerly storm.We even had hail in Auckland which is pretty rare.Cheers.

Whilst I didn't see the actual tackle, and therefore cannot pass comment, my personal view is that it is the well known 'expert' on 'the Game' (another former Keighley lad I understand, Alistair Campbell) who is to blame for the continuing publicity.

It will be interesting (will it?) to see what he's got to say in his article in tomorrow's 'Times'.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the offer but it would be wasted, the game is being completely ignored by all free-to-air channels here in Vic. Even the Australia v France game is only being shown as a delayed telecast at 5am, Sunday. That's how shabbily rugby followers are treated in this State!! I stand to be corrected but I believe this is the first time the Wallabies are not being shown live free-to-air. A letter to Channel 7, who hold the rights to televising rugby, is about to be penned!!
Pay TV has a lot to answer for - GRRRRR!!!

Alistair Campbell - a Keighley lad? I read he supports Burnley, as did a lot of Keighley folk in the '50s and '60s. Can you please supply some more detail, Dave?

Campbell, I think, moved to Keighley with family when a lad, but don't believe he attended KBGS. Whatever, it's a bit of a joke he's been recruited by SCW (cringe at that knighthood). And yes, he did suport Burnley, which is one thing I have in common with him, as I went through a period of getting the bus over the hills to see the likes of Pointer, Adamson, Morgan, Connelly, Elder, Angus..bloody hell I can recall almost the whole team : I must have enjoyed that period.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

The inside forwards either side of Pointer were Jimmy McIlroy, and (?Jimmy) Robson. Goalkeeper was Adam Blacklaw. And wasnt the centre half called Cummings?
So we have 10 altogether, who was the other winger?

Blacklaw
Angus Elder
Adamson Cummings Morgan
Connelly Robson Pointer McIlroy ???

They won the league in 59-60, but lost 1961 Cup Final to Danny Blanchflowers Spurs. 1 - 3 Im afraid.
That day was my fist as a fill in for Knowle Park seconds , we were playing at Denholme and I got 3 not out! So I missed seeing the match in the TV

Sorry this is football rather than rugby, but AB started it!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Don't worry, Brian.
They were all talking about Rugby Union - NOT real Rugby.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I'm afraid that there's not much REAL rugby in Keighley nowadays with the Cougars propping-up National League Division 2.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Morgan (Willy) was a winger who later went to Old Trafford. I remember seeing Spurs play Burnley at Turf Moor.The score was 2-2. Playing for Spurs were Blanchflower, Mackay, the Welsh wizard winger er..Cliff Jones, in fact the whole double winning side, apart from a thug named Frank Saul for Spurs who I recall "nutted" Alex Elder to the ground. Turf Moor with 40,000 in. " Times have changed". Don't recall one of your inside forwards Brian. Yes, I digressed from the "rugger" but going off at a tangent is one of the beauties of the nostalgia of this board. But I do take full responsibility Brian!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

I recall seeing Burnley play Lincoln at Sincil Bank in a cup replay. One Burnley player by the name of Brian (?) Flynn took exception to Lincoln's centre forward (of the old school and built like the proverbial) Percy Freeman. Flynn attacked him furiously giving him light bruising to the shins and knee caps.

I remember Tommy Cummings at centre half for Burnley about 1953------ great player--- I'll never forget him under pressure,playing back to his goalie in a cuptie--- from the edge of the box--he fired it back like a shot-straight at the keeper.great stuff--

Back to Rugby---- I hope Trevor manages to see a replay of the second Test AB's v Lions---- it's just finished and what a good match.Lions got it together better this week but completely outclassed.I think the AB's would have beaten any team on tonights form.Cheers.