KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sunday Schoo'il

What memories of t'Sunday Schoo'il remain in the conscious minds of posters? My recollection of lots of the lads at KBGS is that, as well as contacts with cricket clubs etc, they also had sunday school/church/chapel allegiances. Not always a sign of commitment, more a sign of respect to how they wor brung up.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Sunday Schoo'il

Well, I was certainly brought up in a Sunday School tradition, at Lund Park Methodists - Infants, Juniors, Seniors, then a Sunday School teacher (despite coming bottom with 26% in a school RE exam set by 'Snakey' Emery). Youth Club Saturday nights, Youth Fellowship Group Sunday nights. Then Organist.
But one lasting memory was having a fight one Sunday School afternoon with a guy called Keith Varley, who attempted to hit me on the head with a bible, but to whom I gave a bloody nose. Later his mother came to see mine, but as we were talking at the door the teacher Desmond Jackson was just passing, and took my side, saying it was all Keith's fault. Mrs Varley soon returned home.
Seriously, Sunday School was good for us, teaching us a good Christian ethic and respect for others. Each year we had a prize giving based on attendance record. There were occasionally outings, sometimes to Morecambe, others of the picnic type. Pity I accidenatlly slammed a rail carriage door on to Bernard Tennants thumb, what a mess it was. He wasnt too happy either.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral