KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sunday Dinner

Since we have a thread on Sunday Tea......

Did anyone 'start'(ie as a first course) Sunday dinner with Yorkshire Pudding that had been made by putting the mixture in the bottom of the meat roasting tin, then the oven to its hottest, so it rose very quickly into a delicious crispy mass. It was cut into squares, and as kids we liked to put some sugar on it. Grandfather always used salt.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Sunday Dinner

No such luck in our house. Sunday dinner was often accompanied by parental rows. The meat was done to death. The veg boiled to within an inch of evaporation. One delicacy that my old man favoured was to drink the water the cabbage had been boiled in with malt vinegar. A recipe for longevity? In his case, sadly, not.

Ah - those big chunks of Yorkshire Pud served up as a course in their own right - to die for!! The piddly little lumps you get here, served on the side almost as an afterthought, are a disgrace.
We always had our main roast dinner on the Saturday, and it was my job to mash the taties. I was always called to duty by my grandma with 'where's t'muthers little masher then?' Used to hate it then but have a good giggle about it now.

tp

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 56-62

Current location (optional) Oz

>>We always had our main roast dinner on the Saturday

We did likewise...as good Yorkshire Methodists we weren't supposed to work on Sunday, which excluded preparing an elaborate dinner.

Although we never actually attended church on Sunday either, so this could be just a family myth.

Saturday dinner was about the only meal I really enjoyed...rounded off with fresh apple/rhubarb/cherry pies as pudding. Wish I could find a place that still makes them like my Mum did!

Sunday dinner would then be leftovers from Saturday.