KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gilbert's Swift interesting use of language

I talked to a current schoolmaster at Oakbank Grammar only last week. He said that Gilbert Swift's authoritarian approach to games is still occasionally talked about at Oakbank and generally seen as an example of extreme conservatism. However, reading his school rugby notes I find his language quite modern, lucid and frankly not far from what a modern coach would use. In fact, I think in rugby terms he was very much on the ball. Also, I used to like the way he cleaned his car in office time.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 61-69

Current location (optional) London

Re: Gilbert's Swift interesting use of language

"Craig"...could you post using your real name, thanks! I've already been threatened with legal action once because of a bogus posting, so i'm not going to allow un-attributed postings.

He was also a stickler for correctness and didn't seem to be too fond of the local vernacular. I remember once offering a suggested explanation for some missing cricket kit - beginning " 'Appen it w..." That was as far as I got before he butted in with "Perhaps". To finish seemed superfluous.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Didn't Gilbert teach a little English anyway? I'm not certain of this because he never taught me in the classroom. Can anyone confirm?
Frank Wellock taught me RE (called "Scripture" at the time) in Form 1C.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 -65

Yes he did teach English. He used turquoise ink as well, which was vile.

When playing away for School at rugby, half-time refreshment, provided by our hosts, was invariably pieces of orange.
Gilbert trumped that. Playing at home, School always offered both teams a plate of sliced lemon. Frequently, there were cries of "ugh" etc from our visitors who were noan suited and not all our visitors took the refreshment.
Was this Gilbert's psychological gamesmanship?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Most probably, Terry. Though when I played (1964-65) he'd progressed to oranges. Maybe that's why we lost so many games. Another Gilbert memory of mine concerns the straightness of his back when standing on the sidelines, allowing himself the occasional cigarette! Wouldn't be allowed nowadays. Straight backs.

I hated 'sports' and had many run ins with Swift. My best rugby moment was when he asked us " We are short of players for the under 15s, so who is under 15?" I put my hand up and he said "Ah, Howe, yes we need tall boys for the line outs" and I replied "I'm sorry, sir, I'm leaving for New Zealand on Friday!"
And I'm still here!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1961

Current location (optional) S. Island New Zealand