KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: irrelevant thread for guitars....

Sorry Brian Arnold Lambert's father was not the chemist. His father, Richard? however keeps up the musical link. He was the organist at Knowle Park Congregational Church.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Vernon Rooke. Head of Chemistry, Ermysteds GS, Skipton

I recollect one student on the stage in the hall doing a Chuck Berry riff on an electric guitar. Alan Dransfield perhaps.Mr Payne inspired me not one bit with his early one morning the birds were singing.aaaaaaaaaaaargh.Were we evr encouraged to listen to Mozart or Puccini or Beethoven? I know,someone is going to prove me wrong.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Current location (optional) uk

Of course David, where on earth did I get that from? I knew Richard as well. I was organist at Fell Lane Methodist Church from age 13 to 15 (approx 1960 -62) then at Lund Park Methodist Church until Uni (1962-65), following the death of Will Sunderland.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

David Lindley certainly rings a bell - well, plays a mean guitar actually! Jackson Browne's live version of Stay just wouldn't be the same without Lindley's lap steel and falsetto!
Lindley also plays on a superb track by June Tabor. It's on a CD (Beat the Retreat, songs of Richard Thompson) all performed by other artists. The title track begins with one of my favourite guitarists Martin Carthy, June comes in with the lyrics and then James Burton joins Carthy with some very delicate licks. Then Lindley joins in on electric slide and the 3 of them accompanying June Tabor is just breathtaking - especially the instrumental break. Here are 3 magnificent guitarists playing WITH each other not competing. As the track finishes, the guitarists drop out in reverse order until Carthy is again left with just his percussive style - MAGNIFICO!!!
CD: Capitol 7243 8 31482 2 6

TP

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 56 - 63

Current location (optional) Geelong, Australia

As most of you know I wasn't a guitar freak, however did any of you see that early 1940's Gibson guitar demo'ed and briefly played on TV last night on '20th Century Roadshow'. It was reckoned to be worth 'a few hundred'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

About £1500. A gibson 1940s. I wonder what they'd have valued my 1980s Marina. About £0.50.

I was given by a "gaffa" roadie after a show a Blues Harp in C used(!!) by Van Morrison on songs like In the Garden, as in the 90s. I was after a set list but he said none about but you might like this.

You'll find this heretical - but why doesn't Van the Man give all his instruments away? He's far better of sticking with the singing IMO. Somebody should do him a favour and nick that bloody saxophone! By the way, Trevor - thanks for reminding me about the June Tabor track - one of the twentieth century's best recordings without a doubt (in fact that whole album's a killer)!

Van Morrison is no slouch with any of the instruments he plays. How many times you seen him?

...told you you'd find it heretical... but I tend to think that as a guitarist, harp player and saxophonist, he's a great singer! Oh, and I seen him lots - last time being a rip off concert at the Usher Hall where they charged you twenty-four quid and had taken all the seats out of the auditorium. No good for crumblies one bit!!

St George's Hall, Bradford, first time I saw Van. Depends what your yardsticks, criteria are I suppose...re his instrument playing. Da da da da daaaa da da da daaaaaa da da da daaaaaaa and then one day you came back home a creeder all in rapture.

My yardsticks / criteria are that you play the right notes in the right order. Fortunately for Van he's got the spondoolicks to employ great session musicians who can. Love this controversy!

My claim to fame as regards Van the Man go back to the days when he was the front man for Them. I was acting roadie for the Rocking Spartans, Keighley's very own (well, it got me into the venues free anyway). It must have been about '64 when the Spartans were on the same billing as Them at Leeds (Town Hall I think). Van spat the dummy 'cause somebody pinched something from their equipment, can't remember what it was, or even whether one of our lads did it.
I sometimes think he's a bit of a 'legend in his own lunchtime' but he does wring the best from a good song, he has a magnificent voice, pity about the strong American twang though which he cultivated from his very early days.
tp

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 56 --63

Current location (optional) Torquay, Oz

Johnny Scott, Bobby Irving, David Hayes, Teena Lyle, Kate St John, Ronny Johnson, Robin Aspland, John Allair blah blah ( in Van's own words), are these the session musicians you refer to? Also Humph Lyttleton. Of course they're just session musicians who haven't been part of his band? Notes in the right order? Even after a quart of brandy and ten pints, I wouldn't accuse him of playing notes in the wrong order. You must be a purist Allan. What controversy?!

You're right, Alan, I'm a grumpy old purist!! Fortunately there are still things to please the grumpiest of purists out here in Grumpyville. An example is this weekend's Stamford Guitar Festival which brings to these shores for the first time ever the world's authority on the guitar styles of Blind Blake, Blind Lemon Jefferson and Blind Boy Fuller. Cheating somewhat because he's not blind himself, Ari Eisinger is a great guitar player and if you're in the Stamford area you should go and see him!

Allan,I've just looked up the website for that festival and it really does sound amazing. I'm in that area so I will investigate further. Believe it or not, I'm also very interested in the workshops they've got on....take one's own guitar along. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll get back to you if I go. Needless to say, and I hate to admit this, I've not heard of one single performer on at the festival !!

See you in the nearest curry house an hour and a half before the first gig!

Maybe we should all try playing with our eyes closed, there does seem to be a trend there! Mind you, sometimes it sounds as though I'm playing with my eyes closed when they're not! - oh well!!
Have to admit, the names at the festival are all new to me, must look them up on the 'net for any sound files!

tp

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 56 --63

Current location (optional) Torquay, Oz

Just back from Stamford Guitar Festival - and what nice it was to get a (brief!)sighting of Alan Britten. We last saw each other in 1968 or thereabouts and I know you'll all be ready to believe that neither of us has changed a bit! Well, at least we're still, relative to one another, the same size... And we've both got black leather jackets. He reckons I've got a Scots accent, and I reckon he sounds like he's from the Midlands. Neither of us thinks we talk any differently than when we were at school and we're both wrong. Late Sunday morning I was gazing covetously at some old guitars when a voice from stage right said "Think you could play Peggy Sue on that..."? A fine moment in a totally memorable weekend. Worth coming over from Australia for without a doubt.

It was a fine moment indeed Allan. I still haven't come to terms with the fact that we've met again after 35 or so years! And quite correct, we haven't changed a bit. I can't remember our first words. You may well have said "Bloooooooody hell!" And I may well have used slightly stronger language. But,even though for a short time, it was excellent. Hope your recording went well. And for the rest of you out there, I think we agreed that one of the wierd things about this site is that we imagine us as we were way back then. And of course, we haven't changed! (Some great guitars there too).

I have it on very good authority that you gave a storming guitar performance last Sunday, Allan !!

On behalf of all posters and lurkers I'd just like to say how amazing it must have been for you two to meet up after over thirty years. Perhaps a meeting like this defies words, and this is why no one has commented. Not that they should.Does seem bizarre however....strum, pluck, boing.

Got a guitar from the guy selling Welks (Welkers!).It's a Seagull Grand Artist Parlour. Great sound, but as the more I play it the more I'm realising these parlours are picking guitars, the blues. Despite it having , as they say, a great top end (!) I could do with something a bit fuller.....for my 3 chords. ( But as someone said, don't knock 3 chords ).

Hey, Geldof's got three chords and he causes traffic jams in Edinburgh! Definitely - don't knock three chords!

Rose of Allandale,Lakes of Pontchatrain(sp), Barbara Allen...songs for today

Not to be missed next week on BBC2...Scorsese's documentary on Dylan. Amazing that someone filmed that Manchester concert with " Judas" on.

So what was made of the Dylan programmes? The letters page of the Glasgow Herald was inundated with fors and againsts. I thought the Scorsese films were brilliant - and they certainly brought back a lot of memories and a sense of the excitement about being a teenager when all that was happening. I'd forgotten how awful Peter Paul and Mary were. Not to mention Pete Seeger (fine geezer though he is - but never to be forgiven for murdering Goodnight Irene together with the Weavers in 1950)...My eighteen year old son sat through both episodes too, and although he'd have made different things of the films, I got the sense that he learned a lot, not only about the different strands that influenced Dylan's music, but also about the extent to which that music aroused passions in people that some of today's offerings couldn't begin to dream of. And what's any of this got to do with KBGS? It was part of the soundtrack.

I was disappointed with the usual format : interviews with the young protagonists having aged. Bobby Neuwirth I could hardly recognise.The footage was astounding, both concert and interview. What came across for me was the immense pressure Dylan was put under. No surprise he had a break after that tour. Only speed could have got him through. I was surprised how coherent and lucid Bob was now, having seen recent stage performances. But great stuff.

Django Reinhardt, Stefan Grapelli, Larry Adler, together. Recorded about late 30s. Magic.

Found these two sites by chance - thought they could interest this coterie of posters:

www.chordie.com and www.guitaretab.com

Strum you win; strum you lose.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Saw Steve Tilston last night at the Otley Folk Club - still as good on the guitar as he was 30 years ago but no instrumentals now. Shame. He's doing stuff similar to Martin Simpson now. Good value though.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Shaun - what about a separate thread on folk clubs? They were such important/alternative/political places to hang out in the sixties and they have mostly died out over the years, having failed to replenish their audiences. Whatever happened??? Nice to hear the Otley one is still happening. But what's the average age of the audience?

I went to Keighley Folk Club once, in 1969, upstairs in the Albert, to see bluesman Dave Kelly. He didn't turn up. Finally saw him in Haworth a couple of years ago.
There is an excellent blues club in Keighley, held monthly at the Catholic Club.
www.bluesinkeighley.com
Future attractions include Chris Farlowe who, I am sure you will remember, was no.1 when we won the World Cup.

MMMMMN...blues club, eh? Maybe they'd give me a gig? I got the blues living in Keighley, so it'd be good to take them back!

This year's Stamford line up here:
http://www.stamfordartscentre.com/phase1asp/default.asp?page=guitar%20festival.htm
You popping in again AB??? Hopefully this year for longer?

I've given myself a project of learning 2 instrumentals by Xmas this year. If I can learn them to my satisfacton I aim to treat myself to a new acoustic guitar. The 2 tunes are Blind Blake's Rag by Ralph MacTell and Sunwheel Dance by Bruce Cockburn. I'm well on the way. Yep, I'm a slow learner but I learn them well.

Trevor

Let us know if you make it, Trevor - maybe you can persuade Chris to set up a performance corner where you can post an mp3...

Great idea - more incentive to get stuck into it!