KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Derek Constantine

I notice that you have signed the guest book with a few questions. I remember Maurice Jackson, still lives in Cowling, not sure what he does, maybe the mention of his name might spur him on to post. His father's name was Squire, never come across anyone so christened since!! The Wearmouth you mention was, I think, my cousin Kenneth, known to everyone except family members as Kenny. He worked for years at Keighley Lifts, and is still working, on a sort of freelance basis, in many different countries. Kenny still lives in Cowling. I have lost contact with most people in Cowling, you know how it is when you only visit parents, no time to visit anyone else, and when you lose your parents . . . . . . I must try to spend more time up there. Seems like funerals are the only contact!!
And as an afterthought to your 18%, I gave up history after "achieving" 19% in History - couldn't see any point in learning about Ziggurats, or whatever!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Barnsley

Re: Re: Derek Constantine

Maurice Jackson still lives at the same Cowling farm old Squire bought. I see him about once a year for a few pints when I go back to the UK. The last two pubs where we met (Herders on Oakworth-Laneshaw Bridge road and Black Bull at Cowling) have since closed. I hope this is not the start of a trend otherwise I'd better stay in Australia. When Maurice was young he was asked what he wanted to be when he grew up. He said "a millionaire" - and I think he has probably achieved it. He has not embraced IT so it's unlikely he will feature on this site.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-7

Current location (optional) melbourne

Good to hear from you Connie!!
We spent much time together with the Central Youth Club Rugby League team - or was it Albion, but I'm sure it was the Youth Club. Other players included the Copperweights, Big Tony from Bingley, Mike O'Neill, Terry Caddy. Ah, the good old days.
Still best mates with Tony Woodwiss whom you may remember. I'm sure you had a very attractive sister, her name eludes me. You may also remember my sister Rita, I believe you were dancing partners at the Mechanics/Temperance Hall Saturday dances.

Cheers
Trevor Pickles

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 56 - 63

Current location (optional) Geelong, Australia

Trevor. Please remeber me to Tony Woodwiss. We spent many hours in Lund Park playing cricket.
He used to live in Calby Grove, just round the corner from me.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

David, I'll certainly mention you to Tony. He and his wife live in Wellington, NZ and my wife & I will be meeting them in Tanzania in about 8 weeks time for a 10 day safari. From there we're all spending 4 nights in Zanzibar before they fly back to NZ and we return to Oz. Before Tony & Chris meet us they are doing the Mt Kilimanjaro walk and then the trek through the jungles to see the gorillas in Rwanda - they like a challenge!

Cheers
TP

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 56 --63

Current location (optional) Torquay, Oz

Re Paul Edwards comment, I have driven past the Herders a few times when visiting my parents, it doesnt look closed to me!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

You mustn't have been past it recently then Brian! Don't know how many customers could park their cars either, as the car-park is blocked by large rocks - or it was the last time I went past a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps the painted 'CLOSED' on the former main entrance could also be a clue!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

I also remember Tony Woodwiss and the day after he's caught a pike either in the North Beck (unlikely) or the River Aire. He carried it's head round wrapped in a piece of paper in his satchel. See if he remembers me and the rest of the 'gang' who used to play in Lund Park.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

These threads get twisted - perhaps the norm given Keighley's textile background. (Ahum!)

This thread is devoted to memories of Derek Constantine - not to wild colonial boys' reunions in foreign parts.

I've read Derek Constantine's visitor's book entry and observed that he is recollected as "Connie". I recall a youth "named" "Connie".

Is he the lad who Albert Braithwaite seemed to delight in singling out for sad,sick sarcasm? - a skinny, bespectacled youth? Probably now a huge, hunky weight-lifting pint-soaker(?)If the latter - I don't really live in Lincoln and don't bother calling out the boys - I'm not worth it!!

Lets hear more from you, Connie. Your recollections will bring back memories of mine. Did you ever go to Kirky?

And while I'm at it, where are the postings of the dozens of others who monitor this site - but don't post - is that what is meant by anal retention?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Does it really matter if there's a bit of tangential motion to these threads occasionally? If some correspondants are going to get all uptight about a bit of trivia then I'll simply disengage!! Goodness me - lighten up a bit guys!
Do I now have to start a new thread to talk about the Pike? - 'cause I was there when he caught it.
Oooops, sorry Terry, I do digress from Mr Constantine.

tp

Got to say I'm with Trevor on this - it's impossible not to digress, and sometimes the digressions are interesting, like this one. I know we're all grumpy old men now, and you certainly can't beat a good grump. But I think it's great that folk from kbgs are all over the world, and fascinating to think of them meeting up on safari somewhere exotic. Just don't do a Gus Cullingford and fall off Mt Kilimanjaro!

I recall while at Sunday morning training for the Central Youth Club rugby team Connie wanted to lose some weight so he duly wrapped as much of his body as he could in the then equivalent of Gladwrap (lots of plastic bags taped securely I think) and proceeded to run around the ground perimeter sweating profusely - you'll just have to imagine the image - hilarious!!
Now, was it Connie or Mel (Mal) Ingham?? - hmmm!

Do all correspondants, like me, regret not taking huge amounts of photographs in those days. If only we knew how valuable/informative they'd be now!

tp

Uptight? Grumpy? Never!
Grumpiness is in the eye of the beholder. Nevertheless I will not permit such perceptions to deter me from my innocent, erudite and otherwise witty openings (d'apres Prut) to my postings, now or in the future, even though my latest led me like a "little Lamb" to the slaughter.

Good to hear from Derek Constantine-50years ago,it seems like yesterday!Hope more classmates from our era will join in the forum. I once achieved 26% in Geography from "Charlie Peach" which was 25 out of 25 for "The coal fields of England and Wales" and 1 out of 75 on the other 3 questions. I hated "Charlie Peach". He broke 2 of my rulers, including my metal one christened "Excalibur" by Marcus Stott our Maths Teacher.
I remember "Connie" well,especially in those Music Lessons with Philip Marshall and Paul Greenwood in the basement. We were a very small music contingent, which included John Lilley, Ronald Leighton, ? Tomlinson, "Connie" and myself.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-1956.

Current location (optional) Haworth

Hey Connie, we're all talking about you - got anything to say??

tp

Re Paul Edwards comment re Maurice Jackson.
Maurice has, apparently, become involved with a website to do with the present and past events in Cowling at www.cowlingweb.co.uk - whether he is actively involved in the technology of the site is debatable!!
There are several photos credited to him on the site, and two specifically that you might be interested in of Squire at http://www.cowlingweb.co.uk/oldgallery/index.asp?offset=60
One of the photos is taken with Sam Gott, an uncle of mine, who was a local builder, lived at the top of Fold Lane.
Where's Connie??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Barnsley

When you do deign to grace us with your recollections, Connie, we expect you to present us with a full KBGS CV - especially the cheeky bits.