KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who is this?

In the page on Faculty I have this photo

oka1962

can someone identify it so I can lable it properly, thanks!

Re: Who is this?

Big man in centre is chemistry teacher Mr.Stockdale : his retirement presentation?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Current location (optional) uk

The chap with the medallion is local dignitary John Stanley Bell (former Head of Silsden CP School). To his right is Joe, and the chap with the clock is possibly Mr Stockdale. I'd hazard a guess that the occasion is Stockdale's second retirement, as he filled the breech for a while after Ben Trenouth was knocked down and badly injured on a school trip in Germany.

Between Joe and Stoker is Dave? Pemberton, and to the left at the back peering over the fellow with the thick glasses is, I think, Jim Hall. So it must have been 1964 or 1965 unless they were invited back for some event or other. Maybe they can confirm what was going on here.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Second row back on the left is "Ginner" Aspinall (ace cross-country runner)- I think he was in the 4th form when he first won the event which he repeated nearly every year upto leaving. Next to him is Paul Haskey - 1st XV. Went on to Cambridge where I met up with him and we both had a riotous weekend as the great freeze began to thaw in 1963.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) terrymarston@hotmail.com

Current location (optional) Lincoln

It's definitely Stockale holding the clock, probably, as has been suggested, at his retirement do.
If the photo dates from 1962, then it would be Stoker's "first" retirement, his return to cover the unfortunate Ben.Tren. being in '64 or '65. I clearly remember being taught by him in U6 at Oakbank around that time. Can Brian Moate confirm this, or had you already left by then Brian?
Jim Hall?! Come on Shaun - it's nothing like him!
I don't recognise any of the others in the photo, apart from Joe, of course.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 -65

I agree Alderman J Stanley Bell, Joe Watthey, and Leonard 'Stoker' Stockdale as people have said. Certainly no Jim Hall. Oddly other than the three , I cannot identify any other person on this photo.
I left school at Christmas 1964, having got an unconditional place at Nottingham Uni (got a job at Harrogate I.C.I.). I think, as I cant recognise anyone, this must have been Stokers second retirement in summer 1965.
As a red herring, I recall Stanley speaking at the wedding reception of Mike(Tosh)Towers to Jennifer Little (Jennifer's Dad Donald was a mate of Stanleys on the Council), he said whenever you have to make a speech in front of lots of people, and you are nervous, just close your eyes for a moment and imagine some of them sitting on the toilet!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Strange for you Brian, as you usually get them [identities] wrong anyway! I thought that you might at least have had a guess. Anyway, what have your other ramblings got to do with 'Who is this?'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay