KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Six and out!

Now that the cricket season is on us again, I wonder what memories you have of playing local cricket. My own memory's getting dimmer, but two thoughts come to mind at this moment in time : playing for Riddlesden C.C.,along with Allan J., but we were pretty much juniors; and I recall one rainy windy evening trecking up the winding road from Riddlesden,I think,to reach some far away club ground on the tops,but fail to recall the name. A nostalgic topic for me: I continued my love of cricket ( without achieving greatness) but will venture to Trent Bridge this summer......if I can get a ticket.(p.s. if anyone has a good solid top acoustic for sale, let me know !)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Current location (optional) uk

Re: Six and out!

a.b.'s alan britten

Alan, I think the cricket ground in question might have been at Baildon. I've got memories of walking to play cricket there on one of those warm-ish light nights you get in May/June (warm-ish, that is, if you don't live in Scotland). I think the most runs I ever scored in my entire cricketing career was thirteen, consisting of byes and cow shots. But I could occasionally take a catch - apart from the ones I dropped. David Atkinson's dad was the team manager. For some reason...I don't remember why???...we decided to call him "Hippo". He was probably a fine guy, giving up so much of his time to encourage the youth of the day to do something positive etc. etc. But he made me crap myself every time he looked at me. Also, his son was ninety feet tall and big with it. He broke the sound barrier when he bowled (too many baked beans?) - and you knew he would bowl one right through you if he caught you slagging off his dad. With me, Hippo always had the last word. I remember playing agaist some team or the other and, in true Eddie Paynton style I could have saved the day if only I could hold on to this sky-high catch which, right now, was dropping from the clouds at a speed of two millimeters per half hour. This gave me plenty of time to contemplate what would happen to me if I dropped it. At the last second I caught sight of Hippo out of the corner of one eye. The rest is history, as so, nearly, was I. "Jones, yer war na
mi'arse"! Hippo's wise and accurate words have stayed with me for many years, ensuring at all times a bright and confident self image...As far as solid acoustics go (depends what style and price) I don't think you can beat the Washburn parlour right now, £239 on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2385&item=7319201040&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I can't for the life of me remember Dave Atkinson's dad!!!But your anecdote re the 12 mile high catch has me laughing. I remember Dave Atkinson was very big and very fast. I'm wondering if it was at Baildon that,from a bowling height of about 12 feet he propelled a ball, down the slope,short and in dimming light, straight into the teeth of a very courageous,very short, while we were no doubt wincing from the safety of the wooden hut, as it no doubt was. Baildon..mmmm..you may well be right. I've been looking at Tanglewood TW73s on ebay and the Crafter 050.You've obviously tried one of these Washburns?About £200 is my budget.

that should read "very short lad"...Sorry for talking guitars Chris!

Suppose you're right - shouldn't be talking guitars as they have nothing to do with kgbs. Except, if it weren't for kgbs we wouldn't be talking guitars, right? Don't know the Tanglewoods and Crafters, but yes, the Washburn's a lot of guitar for the money IMO...

The ground at the top of the winding lane that you are thinking of is probably Morton at the top of Street Lane.The Ingrow St John's club moved there a number of years ago.As for Atki's dad, he is probably best remembered by members of other teams for his umpiring decisions. When David was bowling the oft heard cry was "how's that Dad?" followed by "thats out son!"

Oh happy memories.I played for Knowle Park Juniors, there was an Wednesday evening league, 20 overs a side. (Later I got a few games with the Saturday 2nd team). We were managed by Frank Sugden (Judith's Dad)
The ground referred to was indeed Morton, as opposed to Morton Banks CC, (like Riddlesden down by the river), and I also recall David Atkinson,-his mother and mine were in hospital together as our birthdays were a couple of days apart. I also remeber his Dad's ridiculous umpiring.
Other guys in our team,(all better than me, I was just a makeweight) were John Bracewell (+ cousin Robert), Jim Hall, Bernard Tennant, Robert Gaines, et al. Other teams we played against included, Ingrow St Johns (Joe Gordon), Haworth Meths and Haworth Baps, Oxenhope Parish, Wilsden, Cullingworth, Harden, Denholme.
I recall Dave Atkinson, and John Tetley were among the better bowlers in the league.
Small correction Allan, it was Eddie Paynter, not Paynton. He came from Ingrow originally, but if I remember rightly he played for Lancashire and England, not Yorkshire.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Not the least bit interested in cricket but the description of a solid top acoustic has me intrigued. I've played fingerstyle acoustic guitar for nigh on 35 years and I've never heard of the above. Isn't it EITHER solid or acoustic? Can't be both. Or are we talking a solid timber soundboard as opposed to a laminate? I'll look up the Washburn though.

Cheers
TP

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 56 - 63

Current location (optional) Geelong, Australia

OK - should have looked at the website first, you mean timber not laminate. Beautifully made guitar going by the pic, excellent purfling and shown off to perfection against the bucket of cows..t in the background.

tp

I stand corrected on both Morton and Paynter...yes, absolutely right on both counts. I'd forgotten, too about Atki's dad's umpiring decisions, but yes, again, they are the stuff of legend. The Bracewell boys were great cricketers, I seem to remember. One of them (I think it was John) was a classy spin bowler who could really make the ball move in the air as well as spin off at crazy and unpredictable angles when it landed. my own favourite cricket memories, though, have to have been at Burgess's "rec", where I always seemed to do better with the bat than when playing in a 'proper' game! Trevor, as you're in Australia, let me know if youever get to try out a Donmo tricone resonator...especially the one made of galvo!

Yes.Morton.I'm trying to picture the ground and I believe it was on the left going up the road. A desolate place with,no doubt, a fair sprinkling of cow flap. Morton Banks was down by the river.Thank you Brian for reminding me. I probably scored 0 there. You're right Allan : we scored legendary runs,took amazing catches, and splattered the wickets down the rec : everything seemed so much easier there, a bit like golf balls on the practice ground and standing on the first tee. So,tp, what acoustics you play?

By the way, does Riddlesden Cricket Club still play down by the river? For someone like myself who moved away from Keighley, the placing of grounds and the routes we took to get there are now vague to say the least. What teams would Riddlesden have played against? I've a feeling I didn't play many games for them.

Have a look at the Chet Atkins series on the Gibson Website - the original solid top acoustic. A ****ed sight dearer than the Washburn though.
Riddlesden CC were kicked out of the Craven League a few years ago for being uncouth.

Ingrow St. John's used to play on a lovely field at the bottom end of what became the KBGS site at Ingrow. They moved to a field down near the river somewhere behind the Hope and Anchor. A fellow called Percy Something-or-other ram the club and always ensured that excellent sandwiches were available during the break between innings. Never played at either ground myself though I saw many matches at the original site.
I played for Oakworth for a couple of seasons and saw a number of grounds. Riddlesden was a good ground to visit, as was Haworth Meths, though there was a very unwelcoming fast bowler at Riddlesden.
Haworth Baptists was in the back of beyond and about a three day round trip.
Regarding good cricketers (as opposed to my kind) the best pound for pound hitter I remember was a lad called Martin Shuttleworth who played for Oakworth seconds - about 4ft tall but prone to dumping unsuspecting opposition bowlers over the boundary before they realised that the "little lad" was no pushover.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Spot on Allan - I was looking at the Donmo site just a few weeks ago - brilliant stuff, talk about a great clangy slide - whew! An African safari is taking up a fair bit of my spare cash this year but once recovered from that a Donmo may well be on my shopping list - unless of course I find a bargain in Dubai!

It was Percy Hardaker, Shaun.
He was I think the secretary for the entire West Bradford League.
Surely the fast bowler you recall was the aforementioned David Atkinson.
Just remembered another team we played, - Long Lee.
Their best cricketer was John Tetley., who later played for Keighley.
John Bracewell as you say a good spinner, but actually Bernard Tennant later made Edinburgh Uni's first team as an off spinner, and later played and coached regularly down in Christchurch,Hants where he is a dentist.

A few further points re the West Bradford League.Ingrow St Johns played for a few seasons at Mariners Walk, a poor replacement for the ground on the Oakbank site before moving to Morton.
Percy Hardacre was the League Secretary for many years and I can remember taking him our score books every Monday night when I was secretary at Morton Banks (who were eventually kicked off the lower field at East Riddlesden Hall by the National Trust).
Ex KBGS lad Ronny "Tatty" King was a formidable junior fast bowler at Morton Banks, he moved out of the area to pursue his career in the Fire Service but did return to play with the first team for a time.Unfortunately the league was eventually disbanded and most of the teams joined the Craven and Bradford Central leagues,

Some lovely recollections here - I just wish you had all put some dates to your memories. I remember a boy called Atkinson playing for Riddlesden juniors - big (dare I say podgy) and bowling off-spin. (Laker was still in fashion). His dad ran the team - and I recall the famous appeals when dad was umpiring.I played at Morton Banks where they had long-handled nets stationed on the boundary for fishing the boundaries out of the Aire. There was a large, mature tree growing on the square leg boundary and in almost every match the ball was lofted into the tree and there would be a lengthy argument with the umpires and the other team as to whether it was a six,four or one to run for. Once a fielder from the visitors (and in the field of play) caught the ball as it rebounded out of the tree. There was an even longer argument - six, four or out??.I learnt my cricket in the back streets of Lawkholme, the Eastwood school yard and the top bandstand in Vic Park.At 11+, my game went back to the drawing board in the Frank Wellock school of the straight bat.Trying my luck in the West Bradford League for the Banks, I learnt a lot about life, gamesmanship and cheating. Batting against St John's away, I stood back to allow the wicket-keeper to receive a throw from the field. I waited a few seconds before I lifted my bat. The keeper, wearing a silly hooped striped hat, still had the ball in his gloves, removed the bails and successfully appealed for a run-out. Batting against Oakworth, the noise of clicking fingers in the slips as I played and missed was almost deafening. Comments from fielders changing at the ends of overs and loud conversations when the bowler (usually someone fast like Norman Wetherhed) was running up did little to enhance concentration. But I did enjoy the sandwiches and cakes and the urn-tea.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) terrymarston@hotmail.com

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Gamesmanship - not to mention intimidation- were all part of the game. As a new batsman at the crease you were inevitably crowded for the first over (I didn't often manage a second)by crouching slips and silly mids on and off. They would variously scowl and/or smirk as their team's fastest bowler pounded up for each delivery. Other armaments in the psychological war were: the height of the fielders' quiffs; spikyness of said quiffs; amount of brylcreem used to make said quiffs stand up straight; and that good old favourite, the white shirt collar erectus (do they still do all of that stuff)??

Interesting to read that the National Trust got rid of Morton Banks playing down there, and some great stuff on developments of the league.I suppose mine and Allan's time was in the West Bradford League. I seem to remember Daveowzatdad Atkinson did bowl off-spin too. I also recall him bowling to Barry Whittingham( of Notts and Old Boys) down on Keighley's ground. I'm still letting my imagination get the better of me with Morton's ground and having visions of a windy open ground worthy of Cathy and Heathcliff's stumbling over wet boulders (sorry! getting carried away!). A lot of what people write about here recalls to mind that wonderful book "England their England" where the village cricket match is described...a must read for any lover of cricket nostalgia..and hilarious too. Brylcreem on the quiffs!! reverse swing existed then..then. Yes,the upturned collar "erectus",a mark of toughness and cool in those days.I suppose you thought you'd made it when you got your own plastic box AND personal pouch briefs, instead of having this shared box shaking about down your trousers. And own pads!! well,that was it wasn't it! saved all this scurrying around for the best pads at the beginning of an innings and,if you were unlucky, you ended up with a pair of stiff short thin ones as modelled in old photos of Gilbert Jessop.The road just goes on and on...

Just one more cricket recollection and I'll shut up.
I was fielding at mid-on on our own ground up Occupation lane. The batsman played the ball defensively to about half pitch on the on side, and I moved in smartly to retrieve. But he came out of his ground , picked the ball up and threw it to me.
I appealed and he was given out 'handled the ball'
He called me "a right f*****r", and then was threatened with being reported to the league by the umpire. I kept out of his way after the match!

Remember the old wooden slip cradle?? Don't think I've seen one since school. And scorebooks ! They haven't changed much. I expect all old scorebooks from school are kept in some airtight vault somewhere.

It seems your enthusiasm got the better of you, Brian! Very ungentlemanly conduct. He was quite in order to call you a " right ******". Perhaps he had a quiff and an upturned lip.Now if it had been a match against Bradford Grammar, I could understand it.Mind you,he would probably not have deigned to pick the ball up.

Talking about gamesmanship and the Morton ground.Those not living locally will probably not have read the reports regarding a Sunday "friendly" game there 2-3 years ago involving an Asian team from Bradford.While they were fielding, a car load of other Asians arrived and started knocking the wicketkeeper around with a baseball bat.Apparently the main perpetrator( who eventually got a prison sentence) had been given a dodgy lbw decision in a previous match against them.I'll have a look round for a copy of "England their England".

While looking up "England their England" (a good read and laugh) try "Tales from a Long Room" by Peter Tinniswood. It was given to me by a visiting friend when in hospital in 1982 - I nearly burst my stitches laughing. You have to be of a northern and slightly left of centre persuasion, socially to have the biggest belly laughs. The tales have been read on BBC radio by Robin Bailey (Uncle Mort in a TV series whose name I cannot remember). Enjoy!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) terrymarston@hotmail.com

"I Didn't Know You Cared".
Just to clarify - it's the name of the TV series.

I 'eared that! Pardon?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 -65

I did play against David Atkinson and he could be formidable. He opened the bowling for KBGS, Riddlesden but only for Bingley Seconds. Worst place was Eldwick and Gilstead, Their juniors employed Council house intimidation. A certain Chris Robinson (also KBGS) from Harden was attacked after a match and so was his father. A veritable war zone.

Before the school moved out of town, House matches were played at the Keighley CC ground at Lawkholme which was divided from pavilion to opposite boundary by cricket stumps. The "2nds" (upto 4th year) played on the side nearest the Rugby League stand. "Six and out" has just reminded me of an occasion (versus Brigg) when I plonked a soft long hop for six over square leg. The ball seemed to hang in the air for an age before it smashed a window in the stand in what I assumed was the bar because there were some spirit bottles revealed. I gorped at the umpire, Fred Catley, who merely shrugged his shoulders and called "over". First window I ever broke without clearing off pdq.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

I remember playing against Bradford Grammar, probably at U14 level, down at Lawkholme. Lovely ground. If I recall there was the scoreboard down at the bottom end. Ah the smell of the inside of a scorebox. Only true cricket fans would appreciate it.I can't recall House matches or where they were played, before or after the move.

I almost feel like an intruder with all of you youngsters !! There are a few memory joggers for me in this thread--- Percy Hardacre was Secretary of the West Bradford in my day--what a great servant of the game.In my day I played in House matches out at the Girls Grammar----- the reference to Eddie Paynter----coincidentally,last Saturday I visited the Bradman museum at Bowral,NSW and there is a small theatre running constant highlights of old matches of importance,such as the bodyline tour---- imagine my delight when on came THE test where Eddie Paynter left his hospital bed to win the Test for England.Was it '38 or '39? I know we were told about it by Gilbert Swift. In my day Eddie was the publican at the Roebuck at Utley and was the Keighley pro.His son was a year ahead of me.The ground up the hill was probably Morton--they were in the same league---it was almost as windy as Oxenhope and Haworth Baptist.Trevor---didn't make Geelong this trip--- Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Bill, thanks for sharing that. The Bradman museum ! I found this Eddie Paynter obituary :
"Eddie Paynter, who died at Keighley on February 5 aged 77, was a left-handed batsman who averaged 84.42 for his seven Tests against Australia, a figure which no other Englishman can approach. This in itself would entitle him to a place among the great, but his figures become even more remarkable if his innings are analysed. In three of these matches he came to the rescue at a grave crisis. On the first occasion, the third Test in 1932-33, he came in at 186 for 5, not a good score by the standards of Tests in Australia in those days, and made 77, adding 96 with Verity for the eighth wicket. In the fourth Test at Brisbane, he was taken to hospital with tonsillitis and doubtless, had all gone well with England, would not have batted. But all did not go well, and at 216 for 6 he emerged from the pavilion, refused Woodfull's offer of a runner, was still there at the close, and returned to bed in hospital. Next morning, he was not out until he had scored 83 in nearly four hours. On this occasion he and Verity put on 92 for the ninth wicket. Normally quick on his feet and a fine driver, he had conserved energy by waiting for opportunities to hit the ball to leg, preferably to the boundary. Few innings in history have so captivated the imagination of the public. Moreover, Paynter insisted on fielding for a couple of hours before retiring and then, as if to show that he was none the worse, in a brief second innings he finished the match with a 6.

In 1938 at Lord's, he came in a 31 for 3 and helped Hammond in a stand of 222, of which his own share was 99. In the previous Test at Nottingham he had broken the record for England against Australia in this country with an innings of 216 not out. In all Tests, Paynter's average was 59.23. In the series in South Africa in 1938-39 he averaged 81.62 scoring a hundred in each innings of the first Test, and 243 in the third. Yet Paynter was 24 when he first made a hundred for Lancashire II, and between 1926 and 1929 he appeared only 11 times for the county without any success. It was not until 1931, when he was 30, that he made his first century against Warwickshire at Old Trafford, gained a regular place, and reached his thousand runs. In 1932 he was inconsistent, but on the strength of some notable innings was selected for the MCC side to Australia. He had been picked for the third Test against New Zealand in 1931 but scored only 3.

It was four years after the 1932-33 tour before Paynter played for England again. Meanwhile, he had made plenty of runs for Lancashire, and in 1936 actually scored 964 runs in August; unfortunately the side for Australia had already been picked. In 1937, however, he could be denied no longer. He scored 2,904 runs with an average of 53.77, including 322 in five hours against Sussex at Hove, and 266 against Essex at Old Trafford, and played in two Tests against New Zealand, missing the third because of injury. Two years later the war virtually ended his career. He resisted pressure to return to the county side at 45, but in 1947, in a couple of festival matches at Harrogate, played innings of 154, 73, and 127, the last taking only eighty-five minutes.

A small man, Paynter was by instinct an attacking batsman, particularly effective against slow spin, but also a fine hooker and cutter who did not spare the fast bowler if he pitched short. He was one of the great outfields of his day and almost equally good at cover - a beautiful thrower with a safe pair of hands. This was the more remarkable as early in life he had lost the top joints of two fingers in an accident. At Lord's in 1938, when Ames had broken a finger, Paynter kept wicket through the Australian second innings of 204, and though he had little or no experience of wicketkeeping conceded only 5 byes and held a catch. A wonderful cricketer.
Wisden Almanack 1980"

Strange to think people from different parts of the world recall the windy heights of Morton's ground!! Best wishes to you.

Re the Eddy Paytner thread, I remember when playing at Morton Banks one of our members who knew him saying that he was prepared to offer his services as a coach for 10 bob per week plus beer money.The committee in their wisdom turned the offer down.It would probably have been worth the money just to listen to his recollections in the Marquis of Granby after net practice.

Alan--thanks for filing the obituary---that clears up the dates for me.I can remember going to watch the Testimonial game put on for Eddie by Keighley CC.Not so clear on the year but it would have been late '40's or early'50's. Keighley CC Invitation X1 versus a West Indian Invitational X1.Keighley included Alan(?) Coxon,a pretty brisk fast medium Yorkshire opening bowler and he rattled through the all star Windies team which included the 3 W's.The score was something like 18-4 with two W's out and the third put up a dolly catch the Keighley capt,George(Lionel?) Skirrow,who promptly dropped it--shades of WG Grace--The Windies team also included Sir Learie Constantine who was the WI High Commissioner at the time.The refreshment kiosk had the sign over it "bowl a maiden over----buy her a Drivers ice cream !"Cheers.

I thought I would just try to recall all the West Bradford League teams some of us played for:-

Knowle Park Congs, Ingrow St Johns, Oxenhope Parish,
Haworth Methodists, Haworth Baptists, Ingrow, Morton, Morton Banks, Riddlesden,
Long Lee, Crossflatts, Denholme, Cullingworth, Harden, Wilsden. The one who played down at Worth Village (was this Prince Smiths?).

Have I missed any??

Definately Prinie's who played at Strong Close Park in Worth Village.I was once told that the square was to County specification.All the sports facilities there were to a high standard and followed the format of the times of having Football/Rugby Pitch, Cricket Ground and Bowling Green as at Lalkholme Lane,Bradford Park Avenue,Halifax Thrum Hall,Huddersfield Fartown,Headingley etc.

Yes, you missed one, Brian.
Oakworth.

Current location (optional) Leeds

Damn. how on earth did I miss that one!
Just to revert to Strong Close Park, Knowle Park Second team got to the final of the second teams cup one season and the final was played at Strong Close. I think we lost, but I was only 'reserve cum scorer'for the final, but I still got a 'cheapo' small shield as a memento. Did anyone else win anything? If I can find it I will phtograph it.
I think this ground was the only one with proper revolving drums for a score board. At other grounds we only put up the score on hooks using painted tin sheets every 10 runs , or when a wicket fell. Usually showed how many the last man got. Many ground had a scorers position where you climed up a ladder into a 'dormer window' affair on the changing hut.

Another team missing is Cross Roads who played at Sugden End in those days.I was in the Junior team(thirds)which won the League Championship in 1952.Still have the photo and plaque which was the biggest success in my life at that stage.Other Grammar lads in that team were Malcolm Walsh,capt;Derek Stow(who was only the second student to play for KBGS 1st X1 whilst still in the 3rd form,the first being Ian Mickelthwaite),Bob Powell(who went on to break world potholing records),Jimmy Feather(of tripe shop fame),Malcom Smales,and Donald Edmondson.Thats from memory,I'll have to look out the old photo to see if I have missed anyone.Cheers.

Yep, I missed that one too. One memory of Cross roads, was that if the wind was in the wrong direction, you could get a foul stink coming from Robertshaws tallow renderers nearby, or the rubbish tip (ot both) which scandalously filled in an important example of a glacial overflow channel (As Geoga teacher Mr A P Wilby would have told us)

While thinking of Eddy Paynter I am wondering if any other Test or County players ever trod the Lawkholme cricket turf. I believe there was a Mike Halliwell(?) who played for Keighley CC and Birmingham City at soccer, and I remember he later worked/owned the newsagents opposite the Essoldo cinema, or somewhere round there. Wonder if Sidney Barnes or suchlike ever played there.

Well there was one last month, Gareth Batty played for England recently. Together with brother Jeremy (Surrey)and their father, who's name I forget, all played together for Keighley CC.
P J Hartley, (now an umpire), played for Keighley, also JJ Whitaker, and Paul Robinson, all played County Cricket. These are just ones spring from the top of my head.There must be loads as other Bradford League teams have contributed many Yorkshire and England players, and so will have played at Lawkholme. One that springs to mind is the late David Bairstow.
For the record, Keighley CC had a great win yesterday - despite being in the second division (They are currently top)they beat East Bierley (Second in Div 1) in a Priestley Cup match, and are also in the semi finals of the 'Heavy Woollen Cup'

This is mostly on the strength of what me dad told me - but Learie Constantine (later Sir) played at Lawkholme in the years just after the war (I saw him once)as did a fast bowler called Martindale (West Indian test bowler)whom I recall seeing with his wife and "several" of their children in the pavilion at Lawkholme. My dad told me of Frank Wooley (Kent and England) who played for Keighley and had the distinction of hitting a ball from Keighley to Skipton - a six out of the ground landed in a goods train which terminated at Skipton - I think they must have been playing on the Keighley Albion rugby ground where I once saw a ferocious game of hurling between Keighley Shamrocks and a touring Irish team - Jeez!!!
Arthur Booth (Yorkshire (and England?) played there after the war - left arm - standard yorkshire legger. Yorks CC never would employ the right arm leg break bowler - Eddie Leadbeater excepted - (what if Shane Warne had been born in Keighley???). When I watched Keighley (!949-52) they were very much a muck or nettles team - the one steadying influence was Eddie Paynter who allegedly had his eye on the cap going round the ground... I once tossed a penny in missen.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Terry, the Frank Woolley story sounds a bit dubious!!

The Trent Bridge Test and the mambers bar to the left as the players walk up the steps : on the wall in the bar is the photo with Barry Whittingham. Made me think of it. Has to be the best cricket ground in the country, just pipping Lawkholme. I'd be interested to know of the Aussie press reaction is to the series.

I have to be careful, surrounded as I am by rabid Aussie cricket fans, but I'm thrilled the way the English are performing. Please, please keep it up and take back the Ashes!! Last night at Rotary I copped a hammering about the replacement policy, particularly as the replacement fielder took Ponting's wicket and that's being blamed for the loss of the 4th Test. I really had to bite my lip, but the Aussies will blame anything for a loss rather than the fact that they've been beaten by a better team - so far!!
Goldilocks Gillespie is even complaining about the rude crowd - goodness me, he should know all about that with the unbelievable Sydney and Melbourne crowds - they are positively hostile to visiting teams!!

tp

Hi Trevor- here is some ammunition for your next Rotary meeting--- the 10 minute rule was brought in to counter Dennis Lillee going off for a shower before the new ball was due--- your Aussie mates have selective memory !!!!! Cheers. ps which club do you belong to? Torquay or a Geelong one?

Talking about dubious tactics. Bodyline is cited as an example of English dirty tactics to defeat Bradman and his team, but Lillee and Thomson were far more brutal. And no apologies for injuring our chaps, sans helmets! The wimpish way Ponting and Kaitch complained about the current English strategy just shows what we all know. The Ockers can dish it out but can't take it when the pressure is on. Let' s hope a 3-1 defeat will shut them up for at least 18 months before the next series in Oz.

Quite right Bill! - I remember that series very clearly. I also recall the same D.Lillee attempting (but thankfully being denied) the use of a metal bat in an Ashes match around that time.
"As ye sew, so up you", or however the saying goes!

Ponting was more aggrieved at being run out at a crucial stage. Hoever, despite history, I reckon England are bending the rules : as soon as a bowler finishes a spell he's off for a whatever. They also have possibly the 2 best fielders in the country fielding in crucial positions. Ponting was also no doubt venting his fury at Martyn, who really ran his captain out. Prediction : Aussies will win the Oval test, barring weather intervention. It is true England have pressurises the Aussies and won most of the sessions. Pressure and bad form and very poor decisions ( Martyn for one, two shocking lbw decisions ). England could well have been 2 tests down going into the Oval test.

Well, you know what they say: 'The All Blacks never lose at rugby you just score more points' and as regards cricket there is no way that this England team will be beaten by the Aussies at the Oval. It will be a batting pitch. Click your heels, Ockers!

Bold predictions indeed in the previous 2 postings!
I'm certainly not sticking my neck out, particularly as the "match drawn / no result", once so common in test matches, now seems almost consigned to history.
A.B. is right in saying England could easily have been 2 down at this stage, but we could just as easily have been 2 up. Despite the niggles, and whatever the eventual outcome, it's just great to see us actually competing with the Aussies again after 2 decades of repeated humiliation.

Yes, the Oval will be a batting track, which will make it hard for the Aussies . However, who would have predicted the amazing denouements(ugh) of the last tests. It will take a special performance from Oz, who have, yes, been outplayed. But, as a parting glass, world-class players don't lose it overnight. Ok..Ponting and Martyn to score hundreds and Warne to do the batsmen again ( poor sod, he's virtually had to take on England on his own : look how any wickets he's got..and runs... let's admire him while we can : who else could have bowled like he did on the final day at TB? No one.)ps anyone got a spare ticket?

My favourite line of commentary from the Trent Bridge Test was when one commentator said, early in the match, "Warne looks full of beans today." and the other replied "Yes, and pies and beer too."

I'm in Torquay Rotary Bill. I'm not really a cricket fan but one is forced to endure the taunts here whether one likes it or not.
Now I know this is a cricket thread but just an interesting note on Rotary - thanks Bill!!
I had only been in Rotary a short time and for those in the know my very first 'make-up' (on a holiday back in 2000) was at the Keighley Rotary Club at the RUFC clubrooms. Imagine my thrill to see all those former schoolmates in photographs around the walls - I had quite a lump in my throat I can tell you. Brilliant!!
OK - back to cricket.

tp

Hi Trevor-- yes we'll stick to cricket-I'll send you a private e-m re Rotary.Here is some more ammunition for you----McGrath,who predicted a 5-0 whitewash before the series started---- jumped in to support Ponting saying something like" if you are not fit enough or are looking at ways to keep your players fresh,I think it's not in the spirit of the game". This is the same McGrath who decided to bowl full pitch and wide outside offstump four years ago when NZ looked like they were going to snatch a win---Cairns was the batsman------ It was McGrath who spat at Brian Lara not long before that.Greg Chappell in '82 instructed his brother Trevor(what a name!)to bowl underarm-last ball-NZ needed 6 to win--MCG-longest boundaries in world cricket---The NZ Prime Minister at the time,Rob Muldoon came out and said--it is no co-incidence that Australian team colours are yellow !!Steve Waugh's go slow against the Windies at the World Cup in '99 and again instructed his bowlers to bowl wide of the crease in 2001------ all in the rules of the game(except the spitting)--but the spirit????Cheers.

The taunting of Warne and misguided comments re his being overwight are misguided and more s reflection on the utterer of the words : he, Warne, is quite trim and fit for his 35 years. He is also a master of leg-spin, who shows unbelievable control WITH variations on his theme under extreme pressure. Sure the Aussies ( and other teams )are guilty of past transgressions of the spirit of the game. Here we are talking of one aspect of play, the use of the best subs in the country, in crucial positions in the field, and England bowlers going off at regular intervals, usually after a spell of bowling. Imagine Frank Wellock's reaction if I nipped off after a couple of overs for an ice cream. He'd probably have endorsed it saing " You were never any bloody good anyways." ( can't remember how he talked).

McGrath a right bastard!

Ageing rocker Mick Jagger in an article in the Sunday Telegraph said that Glenn McGrath is a right bastard! I agree, his prediction of a 5-0 victory for the Aussies was mind boggling. But I have noted his arrogance before and am not surprised. At least Warne is more generous but what the hell I just want to see the Aussies grovelling at the end of the last test. I recommend all the English fans hoot their car horns outside the Aussie hotel in London before the final test.

Jagger says MacGrath is a right bastard. he he.That's rich! This thread is hotting up, kicking in. I sense a strong whiff of Aussie bashing. Not from yours truly however. The Aussies do not become a bad side overnight. I don't know. Jingoism. Pah!

For anyone interested there is on cricinfo.com an article on Majid Khan, one of my own cricketing heroes when I was young.

Alan Britten asked about former Test and County cricketers who have played at Lawkholme Lane. In the 1940,s clubs in the Bradford League could play up to four professionals and as the war was on, there were plenty stationed in the forces in Yorkshire, and others not able to pursue their chosen career at the time. Here are some I watched in those days.
Len Hutton, Wilf Barber,Arthur Mitchell,Arthur Wood,Frank Smailes,Maurice Leyland,W.G.Keighley,Ted Lester,Arthur Booth,Ellis Robinson,J.H.Wardle,Cyril Turner,Don Brennan,R.Aspinall,Harry Halliday,Gerry Smithson,Frank Dennis,Fred Jakeman,J.V.Wilson, Arthur Booth,Alec Coxon----all of Yorkshire.
From other counties were Les Ames,Eddie Paynter,
Maurice Nichols, Tom Goddard,Reg Parkin,Dick Pollard,Winston Place,N.W Howard,Jonnie Lawrence,Jack Oakes,Frank Parr,W.Barron,L.F Townsend,Wally Keeton, C.B.Harris,G.V.Gunn,Bill Copson,A.D.G.Matthews.T.B.Mitchell,Jack Iddon,Ken Fielding,Arthur Fagg and others. From the West Indies were Learie Constantine, Manny Martindale,and Ellis Achong and I saw Cecil Pepper of Australia But cannot remember who he played for.
We were lucky at Keighley to have Paynter (who sometime about then was landlord of The Jolly Sailor in Addingham) ,Martindale Gunn,and Goddard to watch every other Saturday,when the ground would be packed,and with collections for a fifty, or six wickets for less than six runs each, the pro,s supplemented their five or six pounds a game most weekends.
From school I can remember only Frank Wellock playing in the first team, once keeping out Achong to save the game, and Spike Rannard who bowled occasionally for the 2nd team.I believe Duncan Townson and Dick Elmsley returned to the area and played for Keighley for some years, but I am sure there were others .
Yo can add Braithwaite to your list of teams in W.Bradford league: they played in a field about 100yds short of the Tarn,and it must have been the coldest ground in the county,especially when you were fourteen and still in shorts as I was !
Finally there is no comparison between wet and slow Lawkholme Lane and Trent Bridge--I played quite a
lot on both. That,s about all I can remember for now,and I must say I am enjoying the contributions to this Forum.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1941-46

Current location (optional) IOM

Like Peter, I enjoy reading all the postings - but I wish each poster would give his name and also his years at KBGS. It would make all contributions so much more meaningful,open and understandable to all readers - and not to just a coterie of contemporaries. If cap fits, weear it - but let's all be oppen about us postings. Or has the litigation culture reached this level?

Having just posted the above entry, I find my dates at KBGS are not included although I posted them. Can the Webmaster resolve this? A query not a complaint. Thanks for all your work in supporting this site.

Having just posted the above entry, I find my dates at KBGS are not included although I posted them. Can the Webmaster resolve this? and thanks for all your other services.

A most welcome post Peter, and full of names that stired the memory. I seem to remember JVWilson being captain of Yorkshire, in the days of Stott, Don Wilson, Trueman, Doug Padgett, a young Close and Illingworth. So you played Trent Bridge many times. A county player? The Upper West Wing is my favourite spot for viewing, down mid off or third man etc. So you must have heard of Barry Whittingham.I don't recall Braithwaite having a team near the Tarn. Perhaps it folded?

>>Having just posted the above entry, I find my dates at KBGS are not included although I posted them. Can the Webmaster resolve this? and thanks for all your other services.

to see those click the little icon on the left of the posting (underneath the name, and shaped like two stacked boxes)

Yes Braithwaite did have a cricket team. My father who is now 96,was the secretary for many years. They actually played in the Craven & District Leugue.They hired a coach for all their away games but this became too expensive as they had to travel for what was considered quite long distances in those days. So in 1939 they quit the Craven League for the Keighley & District League. At that time the Keighley & District was a lower standard and many players left. This was the start of the demise, but the real crunch came when the farmer who owned the field and leased the ground for a peppercorn rent, found out that they had changed their name from Braithwaite St Matthews to Braithwaite. The farmer, a chap called Joe Wilkins, being a religous man, didn't like this so they got evicted. They did try to get other grounds but eventually the team disbanded in the early 40's.
My father tells me that their first pavilion was burnt down by a disgarded cigarette from a courting couple using the veranda of the pavilion. The pavilion was replaced by one donated by a fellow called Newsholme who was the secretary of the defunct All Saints Church cricket club. They played on one of the many fields adjacent to Keighley CC down Lawkholme. They dismantled it and transported it by cart to their field near the tarn.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Let battle commence....

The Ashes are getting nearer. In the expectation of victory and revenge I have no doubt the Aussies and their broadcasters will advertise this as the greatest test series ever. England's injuries mean we will go into the maelstrom less confident than last year. But a new England is emerging....

Safe predictions : England will not win one Test; Aussies to win 3 or 4 to zero;Ponting to knock about 700 runs in the series; Monty to be hit out of the series early on;Warne(if fit) to get bagful of wickets again. England have lost the plot.

Well, if you're to be proven correct Alan, the Aussies might need Gillespie to do a damn sight more than he did for Yorkshire this summer!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 - 65

This Ashes series will go to the wire. England will treat it as a military operation irrespective of injuries. And no ball tampering crap.

"Military operation"? Interesting.You mean in thestyle of the bodyline series? I don't see the South African Pieterson being military material, nor Fintoff for that matter. Rather I believe, as with the last England series win here, most of England's success will depend on the fitness and performances, especially bowling, from Flintoff.

Much was said earlier about the old West Bradford League. Whatever its called now, it was the final of the Cup competition at Keighley CC on Saturday. My parents went.
Oakworth (favourites) were defeated by Cullingworth.

Does the use of the passive mood in his report indicate a preference (BIAS) on Brian's part?

I have no objection to that.

Military operation

By 'military operation' it was meant 'well prepared' with an England 'second string' playing in the Perth League. Also psychological 'war games' will be calculated. England will still have to perform above the call of duty but nothing will be left to chance.

Incidentally, I don't think an All Black win in the next World Rugby Cup is a racing certainty.

Yes,no stone unturned.However, I would question the selections of Giles and Anderson. The former has played no cricket this year, is still unfit, and one can only assume he is one of the top batsmen in world cricket.Anderson to my mind has always been a liability.For one reason or another he hardly plays any first-class cricket, but he's off to Australia.

The poet explains the batsman’s repertoire to his grandson

Now, come on, show me how you stand.
Good! Feet slightly apart, pat the crease.
Shoulder forward. Good! Head facing full to the front.
Good, you have it.
Now watch me! Stand well back!

The forward defensive stroke
is a Trojan gate denying access
to the venomous and spiteful Greek.
It should be vertical to the second and impregnable.
It is a barn door, a bulwark, a bastion;
a Yorkshireman's inheritance.

The back defensive stroke
is Custer's last stand, a Thermopylean stroke,
Spartan defiance.
The red beast, snarling at the gate, repulsed,
bails still intact.

The off drive, back past the bowler.
dominant, dismissive and arrogant.
The magnificent riposte!
A shot of grandeur and gesture.
The stroke Imperial!
A statement, a challenge, a taunt!

The on drive
should be as elegant as an Euclidean theorem.
Balletic!
A princely stroke, apparently effortless
but eloquent and enobling.
Aah! The crowd sighs with deep pleasure.

The cover drive
is a gentleman's shot
smoothing its way to the boundary,
bisecting floundering fielders.
Poetic!
O, that final flourish! The glory of that follow-through!

The square cut,
( not to be considered until after April),
is a scythe, a scimitar,
smacking of Flynn and Fairbanks.
A flashing Saturday-morning-pictures shot.
A vibrant pulse of satisfaction through the forearms.
The rich crack of wood on leather.

The late cut
is a shot that is all eye and wrist.
A shot that smuggles runs from the stumper's gloves.
An after dinner liqueur for the connoisseur;
a master's stroke;
a flickering baton conducting applause.

The leg glance,
off the back foot,
is Oriental wizardry. A stroke for a wand!
A sleight of hand! An illusion!
Victory plucked from defeat.

The pull.
A bully's shot, a cudgelling shot!
The Executioner's shot, blade and block.
A roundhouse punch!
Brutish backstreet thuggery
but played by a Bradman, four.

The hook.
A thump! A clout! A heave!
High over despairing hands.
A swirling shillelagh of a shot!
A breaker of windows, a scatterer of ladies!
A six!

Terry, I have no bias toward Oakworth or Cullingworth, I was Knowle Park Congs! Didn't like that David Atkinson ('owzat Dad) though, even if our mother's had us in hospital within a day or two of each other.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Arthur, we are of course grateful for your literary contributions on non-academic subjects. But who is the poet who describes the art of batmanship in such elegant terms. They are masterly and relevant today.

I can almost hear that Barnsley maestro Geoffrey Boycott echoing them verbatim. Especially the defensive shots!

Thanks, Arthur, a comprehensive summary of the batsman's weaponry and a wonderful melange of imagery - ranging across most of the areas of man's finest and bravest achievements - but not overlooking the Yorkshireman's self-belief that he could do it all. Could I commission an ode to the wily bowler - someone with the talent, guile and variation of a Bob Appleyard - the like never seen before or since - and a West Riding lad to boot.

Ask him to submit ,'For Freddie', for your delectation and delight. A little something he 'knocked together'after watching Flintoff hit a century against the Aussies last season. I can read it over and over again and it still gives me great pleasure- as most of his poetry does.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

The upcoming Ashes series should be interesting on a couple of counts. One is that we were cruelly robbed at the last meeting - in fact we dropped the series by just two runs with Kasprowicz given out when his hand was clear of the bat - and the second is that for the first time in a number of years the Poms have several players who would fit neatly into an ideal Australian side.

There have not been many of these over the years; players whose ability is matched by their attitude to the game and crowd. Ian Botham was such a player; one of the alltime great allrounders in the mould of Keith Miller. Trueman, of course, would have been an archetypal Australian player. Darren Gough was half a chance but unfortunately was not a great bowler. But today Flintoff and Petersen would walk into our side. Each has the fine disdain for the situation and opposition that stamps an exciting and entertaining cricketer. I wish players would remember that they are highly paid and that their job is to put on a show. Garfield Sobers, the greatest cricketer of all time (note I didn't say greatest batsman) was a consummate entertainer in the days when cricketers were paid peanuts.

On the other side of the coin are batsmen such as Boycott who had great technical ability but little regard for anything other than his wicket - and, on occasion, his head. He didn't fancy Thomson and Lillee one little bit, and poor old Colin Cowdrey, all 430 kilos of him, had to try to do the job. He tried with all the grace that a fading, fat legendary cricketer can muster and his courage was never in dispute. Edrich and Close were other brave players,and had Derek Randall been more consistent his exuberance would have won him a spot in an Aussie team - we liked him. But for a number of years until the last Ashes series the priority of the England side has seemed to be avoiding defeat rather than forcing victory. To be fair there have been a number of senior Australian players who also have not honoured the true symbolism of the baggy green cap.

I suppose having spent 41 of my 64 years in Australia I have acquired a degree of bias but I am confident that with the exception of a few wicket-protectors Australia - win or lose - have adhered more closely to the spirit of the game than the old enemy. I trust both teams will focus on what cricket is all about in this series, in which case we should have a great summer for our autumn years.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

A good response Paul. I like that reference to the gargantuan Colin Cowdrey of Kent. A toff from the South alright. He was once knocked out by Sylvester Clarke a lightening quick bowler from the West Indies in the eighties. Anyway, it took six men to carry him off the pitch.

The Slug, as we used to call him. Still, his timing was impeccable and his cover drive a joy to behold.

Yes, IW, Cowdrey was very underrated - particularly in Yorkshire. Probably because he batted as though part of him was sitting in a deep leather armchair sipping port and lemon. But he was an accomplished batsman and one of the best slip catchers I've seen - up there with Phil Sharp and Ian Botham.

That reminds me of John Arlott's 'There's Cowdrey, in the slips, legs apart, waiting for a tickle'

Despite his physique, he was also a county standard squash player, which speaks volumes for his hand/eye co-ordination. Good at dominating the T, as they say in squash circles. Probably dominated the tea as well

You have asked for it -- and you are going to get it.

Arlott at his best: 'The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey'.

And that famous cricket statistic:

'Lillee, caught Willey, bowled Dilly.' It's true!

Nice one(s) - but didn't "Johnners" fit in there somewhere?

The bowlers Holding etc was I think Arlott, but the other one was Johnners.
Another Johnners one was when Botham lost balance and caught the stumps with his leg. He said Botham tried , but failed to get his leg over.

One more from that way over the top David Coleman at a long ago Olympics:

'The big Cuban has opened his legs and is showing his class'!

That was Alberto Juantarena!

Didn't the late Ron Pickering once say, of a rather large and suspect eastern European female shot putter, that she was about to enter the ring and pull out a big one.?

A real test

Who said: 'You are nothing but a bunch of suet puddings and cream puffs?' Not Jonners, not Arlott, not Coleman, but whom?

First one gets a squeeze from Miss Riley. Alright a quicky from Silsden's finest Marilyn Cannox!

Sounds like something from Monty Python and the Holy Grail ..... anyhow, my favourite was from Jonners. Botham was out hit wicket in an unusual fashion - hooking, I believe, and then trying to leap over the stumps as he knocked a bail off. Jonners comment was that Botham had "not quite managed to get his leg over". Cue fits of hysterics in the commentary box. Mind you, it must have been the only time in Botham's career.

'Cream Puffs' -- it was Gilbert Swift who verbally chastised those who refused to play rugby and preferred cross country running.

As requested by Terry Marsden.

In Memoriam: Frederick Seward Trueman

There was summat honest
about the way he walked back to his mark
rubbing the ball on the front of his thigh,
the red smudge there for all to see.
Mark of his trade, that was.
Nowt picked at in corners,
no muck rubbed in,
no bloody Brylcreem-
just good honest sweat
and the constant polish
of a thewed thigh,
owt else was, well.
just not cricket.

There was summat honest
and above board about the way
he walked back to his mark
the black forelock swept back,
the legs bowed,
the toe of his right boot scuffed with drag,
then the turn
and that sweet unleash of stride,
the gathering pace, poetry of muscularity,
the unleash, perfection
the follow through, lyrical power,
the result, glory.

‘Tha knaws,
if it wuh one of those days
when there wuh nowt in’t wickit
Ah’d get through mi overs,
tryin’ summat new,
oddin’ t’ ball different,
deliverin’ wider of t’crease,
that sort o thing.
Ah found mi off –cutter that road
one Satdi aftunooin at Old Trafford
in a Roses game of all places.
Tuk mi three hundredth Test wickit wi’ that wun.
Neil ‘awke that was.’

There was summat honest and defiant
about the way he clamped his pipe into his jaw
and looked out from the pavilion balcony
across all those green and shining years.

Watching Sri Lanka's Lasith Malinga taking four wickets in four balls recently in the World Cup in the West Indies, reminded me of an even more remarkable feat of bowling during a match in which I played when in in the RAF at Drifield in 1954(I think).A new arrival at RAF Driffield was an up-and-coming Yorkshire, left-arm fast bowler called Mike Cowan. He was fast, accurate and could really swing the ball. Needless to say, he was a cut above anything we would likely to meet at RAF Camp Team level, and so it proved one particular sunny afternoon. I had the doubtful honour to be stumping that day as our previous 'gloveman'(Johnnie Parfitt-Norfolk 2nd XI)had been demobbed and no-one else put their hand up, so I 'volunteered'.They were put in to bat. Cowan opened with a maiden and after a few more overs, did a 'four-in-four' dismissing the first four batsmen in the opposing team. Our Captain, an officer,of course, sensing an early finish, 'rested' Cowan and the batting side then managed to score a few runs whilst losing a couple more wickets to other bowlers. When Cowan finally returned, he did another 'four-in-four', clearing out the tailenders. Mike Cowan went on to play for Yorkshire and I believe toured with the M.C.C.in India with limited success. Injuries caused him to retire early from the game but he became known as popular after-dinner speaker in later years. I'll always remember him for playing hell with me for stopping the ball with with my stumper's pads, from poor throw-ins. 'It takes all the shine off the ball',he said. And he was right,of course.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Hello David.
I might be able to help out with your dates. It would have been before 1954 I think, because I left Keighley for Australia in Jan '54,and I saw Michael Cowan play I think his first game for Yorkshire against the 1952 Aussies at Park Avenue. He opened the bowling with Coxon (Arthur or Alan?)and I think it was the 5th over before they scored a run off Cowan. The openers were Arthur Morris and boy wonder Ian Craig. Later in the innings, the great Keith Miller hit a straight six back over the bowlers head and cleared the football stand.
It must have been a great experience for you playing with such a good bowler.Cheers.

1 2