KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cross Hills in My Lifetime

Cross Hills in My Lifetime, An Account of Cross Hills Trade & Businesses by Robert W. Laycock. This account describes "the village as it was, during most of the twentieth century."

Click here.

Re: Cross Hills in My Lifetime

Anyone posting here came from Cross Hills or know any KBGS boy who did? Which local school would a boy from Cross Hills attend before moving up to KBGS?

My paternal family came from there...were listed in the 1901 census living in Cross Hills too.

There are two primary schools in Sutton, C of E and County, and schools in Farnhill and Eastburn. The current Glusburn Primary was a Secondary Modern until South Craven opened in the late 50's.

Tony Pickles [58-65] was from Crosshills - sadly I've not seen him since. Any news would be welcome.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

I WAS BORN IN SUTTON-IN-CRAVEN AND ATTENDED THE C. OF E ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, KNOWN AS THE CHURCH SCHOOL, PRIOR TO KBGS.
THE OTHER SCHOOL IN THE VILLAGE WAS REFERRED TO AS THE "BOARD SCHOOL"

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 42-46

Current location (optional) SUTTON-IN-CRAVEN

Stretching the topic slightly...

I have my grandfather's walking stick, which is engraved with his name and then "Junction".

Is that a place in / near Cross Hills ?

There was a Barry Pearce in my time at KBGS-late 40's early 50's---- he is the only lad I remember from Cross Hills.Good bloke too.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

I used to be the H.T.at Kildwick School.I had pupils from the lower end of X-Hills

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

Yes, the 'Junction' is where the road to Colne (ie Glusburn/Cowling} branches off the Skipton Rd at Crosshills . Isn't the pub called The Junction, perhaps ? Can someone confirm?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

It was, Brian, but it's now called the Dalesman, or something close to that. I'll check next time I pass.

The Dalesway. A dump. Respectable drinkers go to the Old White Bear, just up the road.

I guess we should be back on the 'pubs' thread now, but I seem to recall the best Taylors pint was at the Malt Shovel in Crosshills, or may be Glusburn. It seems to have diasppeared, or did it change its name also.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

The Dalesway it is - not been in for years, so will take your word for it that it's not the best pub in the area, allegedly. The Old White Bear does seem to have a good reputation, a cousin of mine used to spend a lot of time in there when he lived in the area. Malt Shovel I've not heard of, either in Crosshills or Glusburn. The best pint of Landlord that I had in the area was at the Black Lane Ends pub, on the Colne/Lothersdale road, but again, that was a while ago!!

Brian,the only Taylor`s pub I can think of in the area of X-Hills is The Dog and Gun on the outskirts of Glusburn.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

The only Malt Shovel I know in this area is in Wilsden. Certainly not in Crosshills. Come to think of it I'm sure someone told me it had closed down.
Anyhow, don't get me started on pubs again, anyone would think I was a alcoholic, Hic!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1964

Current location (optional) Keighley