KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gallery

While browsing the gallery I realise that I can add a couple of names to those missing.In the part panorama of '46---- the third master on right from Bill Midgely is Harry Harpin the art teacher.He lived at Swartha nr Silsden and used to publish a magazine called "Zest".A popular chap with many interests--I once saw him at Odsal speedway,and he told us of his adventures when he visited the Holy Land after the war.
A question re the same photo Terry.You have named Frank Wellock next to Daddy Hurst.My recollection is that Frank did not start until '48.Maybe someone can confirm that.Looks like him though but he didn't have a 'tache.
re u14's of '46---3 in middle row.Missing name is Jimmy Inman next to Frank Jagger.When he was in the 6th form Frank Jagger rode a motor bike to school and was envied my most of us younger ones.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Re: Gallery

Just a further note about Frank Jagger. In the late 50's he was very involved with Lund Park Methodist Sunday School which I attended.
He moved away from the area and I beleive he was killed when a mast from a boat he wa sailing hit an overhead power cable

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

I've had another look at the 1946 Panora photo. I can't be sure it is Frank Wellock, Bill. However, I believe there was a time when he sported a 'tache.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) terrymarston@hotmail.com

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Yes it is Mr Harpin. His 'real' first name was Hildred and someone once told me he later became a Catholic priest.His lessons were original to say the least and he spent much of the time talking about his travels. Since this was towards the end of the war I guess many of the journeys he told us about were those he had made before 1939. He probably did more good than he would have done had he tried to teach me to draw which, to give him his due,would have been a hard task.I often wish he had tried a bit more though. An original man however and I salute him for that.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '40-'48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Picking up on Tom's last point; it's long been a source of irritation to me how dismissing untalented pupils as being unworthy of any effort or attention is adopted as the preserve of certain subjects in schools.
Why is it universally acceptable to ignore these individuals if you teach art, music or sport (to quote 3 specific examples), a practice which would never be condoned in "core" subjects?
I've found the situation particularly irking during my own tenure in education, always being involved with subjects which didn't afford me such luxury.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 - 65

I agree with Brian. Only a few weeks into "Music"at KBGS, Paul Greenwood determined that there were some "grunters" when our form was singing. He was right about (sorry,lads)Dick Watson and Wadsworth - but only partially correct about me. He branded us as "tone-deaf" and we were told to "bring a book next week". That was huge fun for us when Greenwood was roasting the rest of 'em over their poor appreciation of his explanation of the rudiments of music - key signatures etc. We would follow with interest some of his more (but infrequent)interesting music appreciation lessons - but missed out on the torment - and never got a music report in our books. Reflectively, I feel I was robbed of an opportunity to learn much about the practicalities of a "subject" that interested me and was later to become a keen activity. The strange proclivities of some teachers, sometimes passed off as "character", often abide with their "victims" into much later life.

Absolutley spot on Terry. Greenwood also picked out at least two 'grunters' in our 1A form too. I wont identify them as one is a regular correspondant here, howeveer he if wants to come clean....

Well, I'll hold my hand up to being labelled with the "grunter" tag, but never as one of your 1A classmates, Brian (by far the greater of 2 evils, most would agree I'm sure!).
Actually, I acquired the tag at primary school, before coming under Greenwood's influence (if it can euphemistically be called such). The instruction there had been to mime the vocals during choral pieces, and to bong a percussion device at appropriate junctures, if I could stay awake long enough to count the "beats" (or "bars" or whatever they were called) during instrumental performances.
Similar lack of interest was reciprocated during my weekly visits to Westall's art emporium!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 -65

It was me! It was me! I admit it...though my memory tells me it was 'growler', not 'grunter'. I'd have remembered if it had rhymed with 'Bunter', as I'd have probably had to survive school with the nickname 'Bunter the Grunter' if that'd been the case. I must admit I've always been surprised by the accolades bestowed on Paul Greenwood. I thought (and still think) that his 'grunter/growler' nonsense should have had him fired. Ah well, at least it saved me from ever becoming a typewriter musician like he probably was - able to read the notes and press the right key at the right time, but probably devoid of any kind of feeling for what he was playing. Yours libellously, etc

Could've been you Allan, but it could've been me too although my recollection is that I was a "groaner".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Didn't Sinatra nickname Crosby "Old Groaner"?

Well I didnt expect two of you to own up, Brian and Jonah. Actually I was thinking of Jonah.
The wrost grunter I ever knew, right back to Ingrow Juniors was Joe Gordon. He couldnt pitch a note at all.