KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new pics

A couple of interesting (for me) new pics in the photo section. One is a review of the '64/'65 rugby season by Gilbert Swift; and the other is a pic of the inaugural game at the Oakbank playing field against Ermysted's. Good to see all those scowling faces again. And typical that the photographer would set up the pose with me next to the thinnest geezer on the team. I have absolutely no recollection of the match in question, other than that we were required to wear our reversible rugby shorts inside out given the similarity (for the colour blind) of the two schools' strips. Presumably Gilbert's article was written before the creditable performances at Harrogate and Ilkley Sevens that year. I don't think we came close to winning, but didn't do too bad either.

Re: new pics

...did I say "shorts"?? I meant "shirts"...and i've just remembered: the reversible ones weren't the school strip, but rather the everyday ones that were solid green on the other side. The white side was never really white. Unless you had a Persil mum.

Unfortunately not Allan (written before the Ilkley 7's).

Strange though it may seem, Gilbert did not mention either the Ilkley or Fylde 7's.

That said, looking at my programmes, it was 1964 when Hemsworth beat us in the semi-final but in 1965, after beating Nunthporpe 11 - 5 in the preliminary round, we went down 0 - 3 to Morley Grammar.

I'll scan Gilbert's 1964 notes and post them.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay

There was one year when KBGS won the Ilkley sevens, a couple of years prior to our time at the school. I think it may have been 1956. Anyone have recollections of it, maybe could be started as a new thread.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Dave,I am not wishing to be confrontational, but are you sure that Ermysteds match was Sept 1965?
I am as certain as I can be it must have been 1964.
I was still at the school and I remember it, I left at Christmas 1964. Also Allan Jones, John Bracewell, John Brigg (R.I.P) Dave Harding (R.I.P) Dave Pamment of others from my year must have left school in summer of 1965. I am sure Allan will verify this. Of course we moved to Oakbank in April 1964, so it would have been the first rugby season there.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

That's right Brian - this game would have been in the '64-'65 season.

No, you're right.

Don't know how I 'up-cocked' that.

It was September 26th 1964.

Didn't we win the Ilkley 7s in 1965? I remember going on several occasions, the most memorable being when we popped into the Star (Ilkley, not the North St dosshouse) to wet our whistles and somehow never made it down the road to the rugby.

Sorry IW, but it wasn't '65, but, as Brian says, 1956.

I've scanned the 1964 results, when we lost in the semi-final to Hemsworth, who got through to the final without conceding a point.

I've also scanned the 'Results' page from the 1966 programme and mailed them to Chris so they should appear in the 'Pictures' section in the next few days.