KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Professor Asa Briggs

Arguably the most accomplished Old Boy. A good bio of him here

Wonder if we could get him to contribute to the site?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) cpfirth@singnet.com.sg

Current location (optional) www.kbgs.com

Re: Professor Asa Briggs

Certainly our most distinguished academic Chris.
Oddly my father (84) mentioned him at the weekend, apparently he was a keen philatelist, and Dad used to swap stamps with him from time to time. Asa was in the year below, which makes him a year older than my mother and Mollie Sugden! I think that Dad can claim a more prestigious school mate than my mother ! Some difference!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Another Lalkholme Lane lad who went to Oxford was Peter Snow.He was in my year and I recall reading a piece in the Keighley News a few years back where he was inviting recollections from old boys for a book he was publishing.Does anyone recall this or have any further info?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

This URL works in case the one above doesnt anymore

http://www.kbgs.com/BriggsAsa.htm

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) cpfirth@singnet.com.sg

Current location (optional) www.kbgs.com

When Brian Mechen, mentions Peter Snow and Lawkeholme Lane, is he referring to the broadcaster and general election maestro.

See my bit in "old boys on the box" about Asa Briggs

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

No Dalesman, the Peter Snow I'm refering to is on the photo recently posted by Ian Proctor of Form 3a 61-62, he's third from the left on the back row.

For a first hand account of his schooldays see the miscellanious section of the photo dept.of the site

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Among his many experiences was teaching me at Highfield School in 1939/40 and again at the Grammar School. What really surprised me was to find him last year in a photograph taken in 1945, in a book ,I think called " Enigma", about the code-breakers at Bletchley Park. He was in a group of about twenty boffins, was unmistakeable and this was confirmed by the caption naming all in the picture. I have never seen this part of his life mentioned in any reference to his many other achievements.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1941-46

Current location (optional) IOM

Yes, a good book with the revelation you have noted. Such things were top secret for many years after the war. Fred Hoyle, a fairly local lad (though not KBGS) was instrumental in developing many new features of radar and ways of blocking it too though this was also not revealed for many years. Who knows, maybe some of our contemporaries worked on things that are still top secret, and we may never know unless we survive to ninety.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I well remember Professor Asa Briggs returning to his 'roots' at Eastwood School during the war years and addressing the Infants assembled(myself included). He was introduced as someone who had attended Eastwood as a young boy and had 'made it' all the way through to Oxford University, implying that, if we all worked hard at our lessons, there would be nothing to stop us from acheiving similar honours. He was, as someone has already mentioned, a 'Lawkholme Lane Lad', from Marlborough St or Emily St I believe, but as someone was told me, 'he was rubbish at sports'. Still, we cant be good at everything!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

I have a private address for Asa, so I will drop him a short letter and see if he will post a message.
As Mr Seeley says, Asa grew up in the Eastwood area, and is an exact contemporary of my father (who lived in Swallow St , off Parson Street, with Victoria Park at the end of the road) who remembers swapping stamps with him.

Pleased to tell you I wrote a ltter to Asa, and have had a reply. I will give a copy to Chris when Im in Singapore shortly. Maybe it can be posted. Asa was about to set off with his wife on a trip to South America (at age 84!), so unable to post a message himself at present.

Watching Tv today, I saw Asa Briggs 'trailing' a BBC4 programme due to be shown sometime during January, called 'The Barefoot Anthropologist', a documentay, hosted by Sir Richard Attenborough, on the life of Tom Harrisson. Harrisson is described as an explorer, pioneering anthropologist, guerrilla fighter and documentary-film maker. It's highly probable that Prof. Briggs will be involved in the film itself, so here's a rare opportunity to view a famous Old Boy of the School. Incidentally, when viewing 'trailer' it was hard to believe he is in his mid 80's. Maybe old footage? No exact date was given for the showing of the programme so if anyone finds out, please let us all know!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Did the programme referred to on the last post ever happen? I had been watching for it.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

For those with time to spare, a check on You tube for The Barefoot Anthropologist will bring forward the following link and allow sight of 6 segments of the programme

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVtGT6g4-64

So copy and paste, no time to waste ( Sorry Arthur )

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-55

The programmed 'The Barefoot Anthropologist'was telecast- you can get details by searching the BBC website.I may be in touch with Asa quite soon and, if so, will mention this website.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 40-48

Tom, Asa is aware of this site, I exchanged letters with him couple of years ago and asked him if you would post a message, but he never did. (He was at Parkwood school with my father and they used to swap stamps!)

sorry .....asked him if he would post............