KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another of our year turns up!

I have lived in Cheshire 17 years, but only for the first time yesterday visited Tatton Park, you know the sort of things you do with family in Bank Holidays. Having visited the Mansion we walked the half mile or so to the Old Hall. Whom should be selling the tickets at the door but ALAN SPENCER, wearing a name badge otherwise, I couldnt have been sure it was him. He did not recognise me either. But I knew he lived in Northwich, so at risk of embarrassment I asked. Of course it was him! Didnt have time to talk much as he was busy, but I will email and tell him about this site.
Alan was one of the Ingrow/Lund Park area brigade together with Shaun , Bernard Tennant, Brian Shuttleworth, Jim Hall, Bracewell family, and myself among others.
He reckoned we last saw each other when we watched the 1966 World Cup Final

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Another of our year turns up!

Always wondered what happened to 'Spanner'.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay

There may be a bit of confusion here.
I knew an Alan Spenser very well. He was my mentor in the "jig and tool draughting dept" at Prinnies. He was a very clever fellow, and what I learned from him has enabled me to earn a very good living. His nickname was "Spanner". He was very memorable in appearance owing to the fact that he had a glass eye.
In the late 50's and early 60's he was a fixture in a clique that would be in the back room of "T'Lord Rodney". He had a tendency to relate highly coloured stories about his escapades, and we were all aware of it, so whenever he was in full swing, the rest of us around the table would be pretending to shoot rifles in the air..."shooting the sh*t". From approx. 1957 he lived on Cark Rd. in Showfield. Prior to that I believe he was a "Lawkholme Laner".
Spanner was a real character but at the time didn't fit with what was considered "cool". I had respect and admiration for him but of course wouldn't dream of telling him so.
To the best of my knowledge he did not attend KBGS
Spanner, if you are still around, and reading this, now you know. I miss you lad!
I think

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA

errata.........
Spenser should be Spencer.
"I think" ............delete.

No confusion Bernard. Just another Alan Spencer. The AS that Brian refers to in his original posting must have been about 5 years younger than the one you refer to - lived in Selborne Grove.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

You are right Shaun. "Put brain in gear before engaging keyboard". It was the "Spanner" part that threw me. I should have realised that "Spanner" would be a common nickname for someone named Spencer.
I am going make amends for my mistake by having a stiff gin and tonic.

Message for B J
The Alan Spencer ("Spanner") mentioned by yourself, used to live off Parson Street and moved to Cark Road.
He had several sisters (Kay being the only one I can bring to mind, at present)
Alan attended Eastwood School and is shown in a photograph on the Keighley Schools Page on the http://www.keighleyhistory.org.uk/ site. (5th picture down on the left, he is pictured 6th from the right in the middle row ,wrongly listed as Colin)
Alan lost his eye in an accident whilst playing in Victoria Park.
He tried to watch the flight of an arrow fired by a friend and unfortunately the arrow made contact with his eye, with disastrous results.
His sisters attended KGGS and may well be known to other members of KBGS.
Any further information will be added at a later date.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

I think I recall Alan Spencer -certainly I recall his sister Kay who was roughly contemporary with me at Eastwood Juniors. I haven't been able to find him on the picture you refer to, Derek. More guidance please. I remember a tall, slim blond/fair youth who would join in the games in Vic Park - and also went to Marlborough St Congs. Is he the one?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

To T M
The photograph on the Keighley and District Historical Society
( 20th subject from the foot of the left margined subject list)
as previously described, was taken in the Eastwood School "Senior" playground just in front of the air-raid shelter at the Parson Street end of the playground.
The teacher is Miss Sugden.
Alan Spencer is standing next to Eric "Oscar" Redmen. (Middle row wearing a "regulatory" boy's wardrobe check pullover) Alan is to Eric's right as you view the photograph.
Other Bradford Street/Marlborough Street/Parson Streeters are Kenneth Turner, Joan Smith,Yvonne Harness, others were from the Caledonia Road, Cark Road, Aireworth Road, Dalton Lane and Worth Village areas of the town.
BTW Eric Macdonald asks to be remembered to all ex Bradford Streeters !!
Full list of pupils is shown at the foot of the photograph.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Billy Biggins has turned up on Friends Reunited. Another ex Ingrow lad of my year. I have dropped him a message but he hasnt replied. I know Shaun will remember him.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

I remember Billy Biggins very well. A great name, I always thought - and he was a nice, funny guy too.

Wasn't he in Lord of the Rings?

As a Christmas "treat", in the last week of term, Prut brought the usual hostilities to a temporary cessation (albeit an uneasy truce) and read to us from "The Hobbit". We enjoyed the facial expressions and the "googling" eyes more than the tale which he seemed to equate to panto. He was about 4 decades before his time as an impressario.What would he have made of Harry Potter? - or the fact that I have taken time from my busy life to recount his doings?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Surely not "googling" Terry, or had Prut anticipated the internet by a few decades?

Thanks to Brian Moate's investigations I have been put in touch with another of the '58 intake with whom I was friendly - Steve Shires. We met up yesterday at Threshfield to watch Wharfedale play Cambridge at RU and had a pint or three. Lives near Bedford and works as an architect. A good day!

Re: Re: Another of our year turns up!

Some of you in the '58 intake may well remember Howard Buckler. Last I heard of him was in 1965. Just had a (very brief) e-mail from him. He lives in the US. I know no more but asked for info. and will advise him to visit this site.

Current location (optional) leeds

JUst posted this but it appeared higher up for some reason :-
Some of you in the '58 intake may well remember Howard Buckler. Last I heard of him was in 1965. Just had a (very brief) e-mail from him. He lives in the US. I know no more but asked for info. and will advise him to visit this site.

Correction.
Howard is only temporarily in the US.

...... or almost turns up.
I was out for a walk at the weekend and passed the site of the former Hallas Bridge Mill (q.v. in another thread). Got talking to a woman there who turned out to be a good friend of John Pike's sister. John is apparently living in the Malton area and is, she believes, a solicitor. Maybe he can be persuaded to visit this site.

I am still waiting for John Hammond to turn up

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

John Hammond lives in NZ also. I met up with him a few years ago for a brief visit. He knows about the site I think. He was mentioned on here a couple or more years ago. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

A few years ago I did exchange emails with Pete Messenger and Rev. Brian Goodall. If I can find th email addresses maybe I'll try again.
My brother-in-law Mike Boothroyd occasionally sees Darrell Camm and Kenny Andrews around in Keighley.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

One of my regrets at finding this website so late is that I have missed out on some interesting topics.If anybody ever goes back to this defunct topic I knew spanner very well. He did go to Eastood but having said that was as bright or brighter than many at kbgs including probably me.I got to know him as we were both members of a brag school which used to convene at the con. club several nights a week.The trick was to get a last pint at the Rodney about ten then get to the con. club before offical closing time.We could then stock up with beer and play cards until the steward got fed up and kicked us out.Spanner was no mean card player and very generous in that he used to run us all home after the session.I last saw him about about 12 years ago in the fish shop at the top of Lawkholme Lane.I dont think he recognised me and he wasn with his family and myself with mine so I didnt let on.I regretted it after.In the unlikely event that Spanner ever sees this sorry I didnt speak and thanks for all the lifts home.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-1961

Current location (optional) Filey

It's never too late to participate.
All you need to do is find the topic that interests you and send a 'reply'. This will place the topic at the top of the list and should elicit responses accordingly.

Just been in touch with John Miller and have given him the web address. Maybe we'll see some posts from him.

..... and now Dave Pamment. Had a long conversation. He has visited the site but never posted.

.... well, not quite our year.
I was at Bempton Cliffs today to see the seabirds and afterwards was in the RSPB shop having a long chat about Red Kites etc. with a young man who had recently started working there. The discussion ranged around, as is often the case when people get to my age, and it transpired that he is the son of Alden Phillips. Alden lived a couple of doors from me in Ingrow when we were kids and attended KBGS. I think he was in the '57 cohort.
Anyhow, if you're reading this, Alden, your son is a smashing young fellow - and a keen birder, which is always a plus.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Don't think that 'Ollie' (Beak) as Stuart Bird and his brother (David) used to refer to him, visits the site but I've copied him in. Both he and Anne will be pleased to hear that he's doing well.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Current location (optional) Embsay

Baldwin was a common name at KBGS.

Current location (optional) Eldwick