KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reunions?

It seems there is no formal association for old boys anymore. Why did it die out, and who (if anyone) arranges reunions these days? Or is the KBGS old boys network already dormant, never to reappear except on this Website?

Current location (optional) www.kbgs.com

Reunions, an odd business

This reunion business is quite odd in some ways. Another nearby website, the defunct Bingley College one, which closed in 1977, has a terrible turnover of posts on their message forum. On the other hand, KBGS until recently had a very healthy number of subject threads and postings. And much funnier and wittier. But the former Bingley College crowd, also getting on in years, have hosted two successful reunions in recent months. Off course the college crowd have women as well as men who may be more amenable to such gatherings. Anyway that's my tuppence worth.

Re: Reunions?

I was invited to a reunion of sorts a couple of years ago, but never bothered as it seemed to be organised both by and for the rugby paying contingent. I'd rather chew my own leg off . . .

I raised the issue of reunions and the Old Keighlians (see image of my old tie)some time ago but don't believe there were any responses. Thought these events withered on the vine back in the very early '90's and all that remained were the odd boozy get togethers for 'the usual suspects'at the Queens Head or similar around Christmas time.
Likely to be the same old story of a good idea but someone needs to formally organise. Although now retired and living in Norfolk I would certainly attend such an event. Let's hope Chris's latest message promotes further discussion and maybe some acivity on this front.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-68

John Waddington-Feather revealed to me some of the unsavoury events affecting the old school when the conversion to comprehensive took place. I understand that in its wake came the dissolution of the Old Keighlians Association (and allegedly the sequestering of its funds)and even the destruction of some of the old school memorabilia such as photos from the panorama stable. This could account for the problems Chris met in running to ground some of the earlier panorama photographs.
Although I would commend to old boys the site www.worldschoolphotographs.com to fill any gaps.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) terrymarston@hotmail.com

Flying fire extinguishers

IW (Silsden's finest), you talk of chewing your leg off. But I remember when you suffered a grievous blow to your foot at the halls of residence in Gas Street Basin, Birmingham. I believe you were hit by a flying fire extinguisher. Very painful.

At some point maybe we should organise a kbgs.com users "reunion"!

Current location (optional) www.kbgs.com

Yes it would be interesting, problem is we're scattered round the country rather, though a good few correspondants are still in West Yorks. In my case Im usually staying in Leeds area one night per week every week, but live on the Wirral.
I would be happy to try to arrange a mini reunion mid week in West Yorks for those who can easily get there (Shaun Pye and I have met a few times for a drink, and Ive also met up with John Ackroyd), maybe just a dinner or something, but I would always be struggling to get to something at the weekend.

Apparently the next official KBGS reunion is on 9th September 2005 at 12 noon at KRUFC, Utley, Keighley.

If anyone is interested I could email them the contact details of the organiser.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm in Oz I'd be happy to take on the organizing role of a reunion - bit difficult from here!
Now I know this is a big ask but it'd be great if someone could take some group images at the reunion, preferably with names, and post them.
My wife & I are tentatively looking at a trip back to the 'old dart' in 07 so prior notice of any reunion then would be appreciated. If that can't be organised I'd really like to meet up with some of you guys who regularly submit to the forum.
Incidentally, and quite a departure from this thread, I'm (quietly) thrilled with the Hatton win over Tszuy, great guy though Kostya is and I hate to see him hurt, but it's just so good to 'hear the silence' from some of these Aussies who gloat excessively every time they beat the English!

tp

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 56 --63

Current location (optional) Torquay, Oz

Christ Brian, we’re in the 21st century now! ‘maybe just a dinner or something’. We’re ‘old boys’ not ‘The Old Contemptibles’!

I’d prefer the ‘or something’. A pint and, if the next reunion is actually on a Friday lunchtime, a snack would be far more preferable than having to sit down to eat.

Hope the Club is providing some snack food so that those attending can purchase if required to 'feed the inner man'.

Chris, can you supply any further details?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

>>Chris, can you supply any further details?

I have a name and phone number but don't want to post it here without his permission (and he's not on email, as far as I know). But if anyone is interested I could email them the info.

I’ve just spoken with Robert Bracken (1938-46)who is going to send me more information about the next Reunion that he is organising. He said that about 50 attended the last one a couple of years ago and hopes that more will attend this year's.

The Keighley Rugby Union Clubhouse has been booked for the second Friday in September {which makes it September 9th) and a buffet lunch will be provided by the Club at a cost of £11.75 per head.

If anyone is interested in attending, and to save Robert postage, as soon as I receive the details, and obtain his permission, I will scan them and email them to Chris Firth to add to the ‘Photo Album’ section of the KBGS site. Anyone wishing to attend can take a copy and send their cheque to Robert.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay