KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
long lost public houses

Someone mentioned the footy table at The Marquis of Granby - I am looking for a photgraph I have of Dave Pamment and David Harrison, among others, actually playing on that table. Watch the photo site!!

I think the password system is fine - no big deal and it'll keep the riff-raff away, I hope.
Cheers
TP

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) tpdesign@primus.com.au

Current location (optional) www.studiofour.com.au

Re: long lost public houses

As Dave Pamment has been mentioned, someone told me(was it you Shaun?) that he had become Buddhist and was in Bristol area. Can anyone confirm this?

Sort of, Brian.
I told you Dave lived in Bristol.
You told me he had become Buddhist. Don't know where you got it from.

Hi Trevor - at doubles in the Granby I often played backs to Dave Pamment's forwards. He was a good player. But together we were no match for the guy who made up deficiencies in the finger department by having the fastest wrists on the planet.

Finally found the trannie, scanned it and posted it.

That's Dave Pamment taking centre stage with Jimmy Harrison looking on with a match in his mouth. Barry Worsnop can just be seen behind the lad on the left(?) and I don't recall the name of the well dressed gent to the right either!

tp

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 56 --63

Current location (optional) Torquay, Oz

I believe Timothy Taylor brewery has been in Keighley for many years. Don't suppose there were any official (or unofficial) school visits there!?

Chris,

There were many official visits to the brewery. They were ostensibly for the Science Sixth but Arts Sixth members were usually able to tag along. The visits were on a Saturday morning. The highlight was always the Sample Room where smallish glasses of various brews were tasted. I believe that Alderman Taylor was Chair of the Governors when I was at KBGS and I assume was the access for the visits.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 51-58

Current location (optional) Cleckheaton

Yes, Alderman John (?) Taylor (West Riding County Council?) was Chair of Governors during my time in school. He was to become a prominent member of the Yorkshire Tories - and was rewarded by Thatcher with the title Baron Ingrow for his work for the party fundraising. I was in the Arts 6th about the time of Anthony Simpson - but never got wind of the brewery jolly.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

"Baron Ingrow"?? Is this a wind-up? I can't believe it's true. Sounds like it would sit neatly with Lord Guardhouse - now, Jonah, there's a thought for when you are ennobled.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Yes Shaun - "Lord Guardhouse"...rather like it....but not if it means joining Alderman Taylor's party (political, that is- not the parties he obviously held for those and such as those at his brewery). Anyway there's a thing - an eminent Tory who could organise a ****** in a brewery!

Guardhouse...Keighley's equivalent of the Bronx.Wonder what it's like now.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Current location (optional) uk

I think he was actually known as Lord Taylor of Ingrow in the ocunty of West Yorkshire.
As the bottom of our garden came within about 30 yds of Taylors brewery wall, I have to say I have never been in the establishment, nor do I remember any school visits. A good pint of Landlord bitter, and indeed sometimes Goose Eye bitter, can still be had at the Arcadia Wine Bar , right beneath my office in Headingley! Very handy.
That reminds me - school educational visits, I remember a few and will start another thread.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

In "A tribute to Lord Ingrow" in "The Telegraph and Argus", February 15th 2002, Kathy Booth wrote "John Aked Taylor was awarded an OBE in 1960, a knighthood in 1972 and given the title Baron Ingrow in 1982 when he was made a life peer."

Not sure what's happened to the image I emailed. I know it wasn't exactly a 'school' image but I thought it was relevant to this particular thread - KBGS lads at a well known hostellry, playing on the actual gaming machine that had been mentioned.
My apologies Chris if you've simply been too busy!!

Cheers
TP

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 56 --63

Current location (optional) Torquay, Oz

Yes- I've been looking out for it daily too - hope it hasn't got lost in the Bravenet world!

i must have missed it, can you re-send it, thanks

Any news re the old pic taken in the Granby Tap Room?As a regular attender and, as stated previously,a member of the table football team I was interested to take a look.

I have re-posted (to the Webmaster) the image of the KBGS lads at The Marquis of Granby - see my comments May 28!

Cheers
TP

I think the lad next to Dave Pamment is Brian Exley

He is indeed Brian Exley.

That certainly brings back lots of memories of a misspent youth, Trevor! On the other side of the table there's the elsewhere-mentioned David Atkinson. And in the background Jim Harrison (?). Great to remember that we existed in colour as well as in B&W ! Dave Haig tells me that he was in touch with Brian Exley well into the 1990's. Brian was living on the south coast in either Devon or Cornwall and had been a teacher most of the time, with spells traveling abroad in his younger day.

Seems hard to believe the photo was taken 30 or so years ago. The quality is excellent. Is that the Dave Atkinson the fast bowler? It's really strange seeing that photo. It's like being transported back. Notice the ties. I was never really part of that "crowd", perhaps because I didn't play for the 1st XV, or whatever. However, I knew Dave Pamment and Brian Exley.Our form used to have table-tennis matches lunchtimess at Oakbank, putting desks together.

I remember playing table tennis in the classroom at lunchtime, not necessarily with Dave and Brian, but with the guys of double maths persuasion in the maths room at the old GS buildings in town. With the old desks, we always aimed for the ink wells – a sure winner!!
Can’t remember the name of the head of maths in the pre-Hughes days (Mitchell??) but I remember him coming back from skiing, probably at Feb half term, and not being able to fathom why he should return with a tan from an area where it was snowing. How the hell I got Geog O Level, I’ll never work out!

Current location (optional) Barnsley

Yes it was 'Tex' Mitchell, Alan, he had slightly bowed legs (like me!) , but he used to say that vertically opposite angles were named after him, because what was really meant was verTEXically opposite angles

When I said "our" form played table-tennis, I'm incorrect I believe. More a mixture who would assemble in one of the corner rooms overlooking the playing fields. Ian Proctor I recall was pretty handy at ping-pong.

Bottom floor, corner classroom, overlooking the playing fields - Maths 6th form room.
We bought a table tennis table and stored it in the room, dartboard too. Now that's what I call education - not a miserable National Curriculum level in sight.

Current location (optional) Leeds

So it was an actual table tennis table? Not desks put together? Or were there two rooms overlooking the playing fields? Where's John Haygarth when I need him? Or "ace" ? Remember the phase of everyone clling evryone "ace"....on of those schoolboy things.

Alan B - I had an email excahnge with John Haygarth in June 2002,(which I have just found) in fact he was asking me if I knew what happened to you. But this was before you first posted on this site. He lived in Woodbridge, Suffolk, and had just I think retired early from a teaching post. I cant find an address for him now in Suffolk using www.192.com (electoral roll search) though.

David "Atki" lives about 200yds from the Granby and still drinks there.I saw Jimmy Harrison when driving through Silsden a few weeks ago.Next time I see him to talk to I'll mention the site and also ask what became of his brother -ex head boy David.
In response to the query re Dave Foulger mentioned elsewhere,as far as I know he still lives locally, but I haven't seen him for a year or so.

Brian, are you saying you can find out the whereabouts of anyone through this electoral roll site? I'm a bit worried ! Isn't there some privacy law regarding all this sort of thing? I'm no expert.
I'd like to know what became of David Harrison ; never knew he had a brother.

Interesting message on the blackboard - darts at the bar for 2/6 - must have been pre - 1971.

About 1965, I'd guess.

Yes, the photo at The Granby would have been 64 or 65 as I emigrated in early '66.

tp

Alan B re Electoral Roll.

This info is Public Domain. You can search via www.192.com or they also offer a CD (UK Info Disc) updated annually.
I have the 2004, and use it mainly as a company search facility. It used to contain also telephone numbers (If not ex directory) but this has now been stopped.

This link may be of interest -
http://www.simplesite.com/Keighleyhistory/6795719

Current location (optional) leeds