KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Wuz Revisited - to paraphrase Dylan

Great to hear Wuz has turned up!
I tried to contact him via Friends Reunited a couple of years ago but he either didnt get the message or didnt want to contact me. I recall a fairly stocky build and curly fair hair.

Who's this Wuz? I always thought it was Wiz, 'cos I was a wizard at Maths!!!! We can all be wrong sometime? I've had many laughs looking through the content of this site, and hope for many more.
Thanks, Shaun, for getting me to look at this forum, it's the first time I've ever been enticed onto such a public platform, although there is a photo of me aged about 8 dressed as Sir Walter Raleigh somewhere out there! It was at the Cowling Gala in about 1955.
Stocky and curly hair, Brian, yep, still the stocky, less of the hair now!
Sorry about 2 years ago, don't remember getting anything from Friends Reunited?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) albcingu2000@yahoo.co.uk

Still a mass of curly hair, Brian. Though I wasn't wearing my glasses when we met.
Oh, and is it Alan or Allan? Could I have got it wrong for 40 years?

Well, Wiz, for the record I always thought it wiz Wiz, not Wuz - so glad you've put the record straight!

Hi Allan,
I always remembered you playing guitar and brag. Still into both? I think I picked up how to play 'House of the Rising Sun' from you.

Yes - still playing the guitar, and occasionally bragging about it. Or did you mean the three card variety, twos floating??

A Red Herring I know, but oddly I had to play the 'House of the Rising Sun' in church on the organ last Easter. Would you believe it? It fits to the hymn 'There is Green Hill Far Away' The original words are hardly suitable for church though, but for some reason the Minister (URC) wanted that tune!

I remember a lot of KBGS boys going grouse beating. I remember Mr.Wearmouth Snr.and his dad ,latterly known as Ghandi, with affection might I add.I also remember a certain KBGS boy falling into a peat bog up to his waist. Never saw him grouse beating again. Saw Mr W. a lot on Kly. moor. Think he was counting sheep as well as grouse beating. He had a very dry sense of humour.

What year was the grouse beating incident, JF?? I only ask because on the one occasion that I went grouse beating I did just what you describe: in the peat up to my waist. I was wearing a fetching pair of black and white, dog tooth check, Billy Bunter trousers at the time...

Yes, Green Hill does go remarkably well with the Rising Sun, not just the timing but the tune too. We've done it a few times in church, to guitar accompaniment. Sounds quite eerie with electric guitar. Unfortunately, we couldn't find anyone to do the organ part. Maybe Waggy's cousin??
Grouse beating was one of the few things I could do at that age, maybe 10 or 11, maybe older, that I was paid for. The Wearmouths, Snr and Ghandi, my father and Grandfather, were both farmers, and had sheep on Ickornshaw Moor (should the 'had' read 'kept'?), so the reference to sheep counting whilst grouse beating was appropriate. I always had a soft spot for you, Allan, sorry you landed in it.

In reply to the peat ducking I simply don`t know except it will be the early sixties.