KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: The magic of Haworth remains

If it's weird you're after, get to Hebden Bridge.

I did venture over to Hebden Bridge via a freezing Top Withens and not another hardy soul was encountered while traversing the frozen footpaths between the two locations. I did not spot any obvious weirdos or hippies in Hebden Bridge except one eccentric young chap that looked the spitting image of Richard E. Grant in 'Withnail and I'. The best thing about Hebden is the Watergate Cafe which serves excellent food with a very friendly service. On a par with Betty's of Ilkley or Harrogate, I would say.

'twas all lentils and lesbians when I was last there. . .

Clearly, it has all changed. And Haworth is where the last remnants of genuine Yorkshire 'hippydom' is to be found. Bring on the 'Incredible String Band'. Also, is that nasal eccentric Robin Longbottom still living in Oakworth?

In the 'National Folk Directory' it has the following entry:

Traditional Games Society inc. Knurr & Spell
Address: 47 Providence Crescent, Oakworth, Keighley BD22 7QU.

Can IW confirm or deny that that is the same nasally challenged Robin Longbottom that attended KBGS/Oakbank and lived at Rose Cottage, Sutton, once upon a time. And also the same Robin Lonbottom that had a cousin working as a reporter for the Keigley News. We should be told.

Aye, it is he. His cousin, Michael Whitehead was, indeed, for a short time, on the staff of the Keefly News. No longer involved in Grub Street, I understand.
The Incredible String Band were truly dreadful.

Any more on this 'Knurr and Spell' business, and does Longbottom keep Whippets as well?

...and here is summat else about this latter-day rustic Robin Longbottom.

Clog-making demonstration
Sunday 10 August
Expert clog-maker, Robin Longbottom, will be demonstrating his craft at the Dales Countryside Museum, Hawes. 11:00am to 4:00pm.

He bought Greenwood's Clog Shop at Crossroads about three years ago.

Re: Re: The magic of Haworth remains

What a pity, I could have popped into his shop when I was up in Haworth and bought a pair. I can see him now in his leather apron, chiselling away and humming a tune or two.