KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: World's best chippy

There were a gud 'un in a wud 'ut at Ingra Bridge.

Living in Malsis Road we had access to several. As Shaun says there was Ingrow Bridge, but I reckon your nearest Shaun was actually in Ingrow Lane, its still there.
We used to use Cunninghams in Victoria Road a lot, and there were two on Oakworth Rd, one near t'Oxfadall, and t'other at bottom o' Fell Lane.
But probably our favourite was at the junction of Victoria Rd and Halifax Rd , run by a family called Emsley.
The one at Lawkholme Lane is still there, and still very good, because I had some recently.
But Shaun, I reckon it takes a lot to beat your local now - Bryans at Headingley! Murgatroyds near Leeds/Bradford Airport is also excellent.

At the bottom of Bradford St was a chippy, well-respected in the locale, which was heavily patronised by the men at Prinnies, especially on Friday dinner. The sign on the shop said "Gosling Fish and Chips". The men would sit on the wallside up Bradford Rd eating out of the paper - blackhands and remarkably bleached fingers upto the second knuckle "guzzling" fish and chips. But if we're going nationwide, there's a good one serving beautifully white fresh fish on the shore at Dunwich (Pitt the Younger's old constituency)and, wider still, I've had belting fish and chips in a small quayside chippy at a spot through Whakatane which I can neither spell nor pronounce.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) terrymarston@hotmail.com

Talk of fish and chips seems rather insensitive given the scope of some of the world's disasters and the lack of food for so many. If posters were to visit www.thehungersite.com and click on the button , sponsors of the site will donate food for a day for the hungry and needy. A visit and click each day will take so little time. There is also a facility on site to e-mail friends with the details.

I am sure that most visitors to the site will already have made specific donations in the light of the situations in the Indian Ocean, Darfur etc. or,as in my case, make regular donations to particular charities. Doing this doesn't preclude being nostalgic about our formative years, including the chippies.
So I will have to go along with Brian in praising the chippy at the bottom of Victoria Road, on the Halifax Road corner. I knew a lad called Clive Boston who lived just behind that chippy and envied him for that.
Incidentally Bryan's fisheries in Headingley, though it isn't bad at all, has an inflated reputation as well as inflated prices.

I think Terry is well off track with those comments. The poverty level among many working class families in Keighley must be quite high. I am not an expert but the average income in Keighley is probably below the national average. Given the less than favourable climate, unappealing buildings and aggressive attitude of the locals in Keighley and its certainly not a picnic. I reckon being poor in Thailand, Sri Lanka, South Africa or of course Australia is probably a much happier experience. Top quality fish and chips, affordable ale, curry houses and few other things are all that's on offer in Keighley. No palm trees and blue skies.

No social or political comment implied or intended. This just seemed to be a good platform for pointing fellow Old Keighlians towards a website where a daily visit and a click of the mouse would do a little good. Apologies to those offended.

Whilst at KBGS I worked in a fish and chip shop in the evenings. As I suppose a few more of the chaps did. However, it amazing how many of my fellow pupils began to comment on the the fact that the smell of the chippie was lingering on one's person. After a while I decided the extra cash and free haddock and chips was not worth pain of twitching nostrils.

Terry, your mention of Whakatane brought back memories of a wonderful evening in October 1994. Incidentally, if it is the Whakatane in NZ then your spelling is correct and it's pronounced Fockatarny.
My wife and I had been celebrating my best mate's 50th in Wellington and during the post-event touring we ended up at Whangamata (Fongamatar). We only had a few dollars cash, the banks were closed for the day and there was no ATM available, we just had enough for a bottle of white and some fish & chips. To this day they are the best f&c I've ever had, they were simply superb. I always believed that English f&c were superior in every way but on this occasion I was left floundering (pardon the pun!).
BUT - we turned on the hotel tv to watch a testimonial RU game for John Kirwan, the retiring All Black winger (this was a real treat for me as living in Victoria I get to see virtually zero Rugger) - anyway this young black lad just kept running through the star-studded opposition as if they weren't there. I reckoned this guy was really going to go somewhere given a chance. His name was Jonah Lomu - say no more!!

Cheers
TP

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) tpdesign@primus.com.au

Current location (optional) studiofour.com.au

Re: Re: World's best chippy

To lighten the mood, does anyone remember the fish and chip shop at Crossroads? It was run by my uncle Harry (Taylor)who was known as 'one chip Harry' from an old saying 'the profit's in the last chip'. He exhibited Yorkshire virtues in no small measure.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '40-'48

Current location (optional) Epsom