KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: The School Council

Was there not a Watthey-inspired paragraph inserted into the constitution of the School Council where he could overule any decision taken by this supposed 'radical school body'. In other words, Watthey was claiming to be a visionary educationalist but at the same time ultimate power remained with our dear florid-faced headmaster. I also believe criticism of any master was also not permitted by the constitution. It was really just a theatrical performance by Watthey to boost his esteem with would-be future employers and no doubt enhance his status with the Headmasters Association, of which he was secretary. As Shakespeare noted: 'Oh what a wicked web we weave, when first we practise to deceive'.

The only two I recognise in the photo are John Laycock and Richard Cowie (Silsden lad, now a GP in Manchester). Possibly a certain W Bracewell to Dr Cowie's left. Disappointing, that. I always had Bill down as something of an iconoclast. Unless, of course, he was merely taking the minutes. . .

Yes I was taking the minutes! The members of the council were, if I remember correctly, the heads of house and head boy. I snuck on as secretary.

I seem to remember being involved in setting up the school council. A master (who?) put an idea in our heads and we took it from there.

It appeared at the time to be a fair way of going about things but the details are very hazy.