KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Swimming Baths - sunk without trace?

After a particularly wet, heavy snowfall one weekend, the fragile plastic roof collapsed and was deemed beyond economical repair.(My guess is that maintenance costs had become burdensome as well). In the event of snow, the caretaker apparantly used to knock it off the roof, but he was away at the time. A sad end, considering the hard work put in by teachers, staff, pupils and parents to raise the money in the first place. Does anyone still have a KBGS Swimming Bath Appeal ballpoint pen?

I remember being involved in fundraising activities for the Oakbank swimming pool - including weekend "bob-a-job", Wilbur's bizarre bazzars, etc. I can't remember the original cash target, except that it seemed distinctly unattainable and to recede further as time progressed!
I'm sure Anthony Smith's recollection that this all began around 1962 would be correct - it was certainly a few years before "the move". Never having seen the completed pool myself, I'm disappointed to learn that it was subsequently demolished with what sounds like a typical cavalier attitude by those "in Authority" - or am I being unfair in this instance?

Anyone remember the Baths up Highfield Lane only about 50 yds from the school. Particularly the small baths which you passed to get to the big pool. This was a mucky brown colour and anyone who had hadn't a swimming costume could hire one for a session. There were a good few who could not afford one in the 1939-45 period. I beleive there were sessions run where every one swam nude too but I never saw that occur.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) mikemarynichols@hotmail.com

My only recollection of the baths up Highfield Lane is of the beautiful kaleidoscopic display of lights inside my head when I almost drowned.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) sjspye@hotmail.com

The "Old Baths" were dreadful Mike.There were steps at both sides leading to walkways above the pool and thats where we got changed.We had a female teacher,a Miss Corless(or similar,reddish hair,not too old) who took us for swimming.She invariably stayed in the area when we got changed.We reckoned she got a cheap thrill watching the just approaching puberty lads in the altogether! It was much better when we graduated to the bigger "New Baths".Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) candbwalsh@xtra.co.nz