KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Greenhead girls of "the swinging sixties"

Thanks Anthony for having the sportsmanship to reveal your adventures or refined knowledge of the some of the fairer sex as relates to KBGS.

Janet Strumpf, as you have already suggested, was perhaps more accommodating than her coquettish teasing personality seemed to indicate. Perhaps it was her delightful figure, elfin face and warm Barnoldswick accent which attracted the KBGS/Oakbank chaps to her like flies. But you, via the tactic of piano lessons, seemed to have played the right notes to produce harmonic coupling.

Marilyn Knopps, seemed to have attracted a lot of interest from the sixth formers who lived towards Skipton, Greenhead and Silsden way. A tallish girl with a full figure and auburn/reddish hair. I remember her being the subject of several conversations -- and not in hushed tones. Did she receive the benefit of your musical ministrations as well Anthony? Perhaps that knowledgeable Silsdenite IW has some inside track here.

Ms Knopps married a Spanish artist of some repute and went to live over there. Now, as you all know, I'm not one to gossip, but an Andorra registered car has been parked outside her Dad's house for the past couple of weeks, so she might well be in the vicinity. Form an orderly queue, chaps.

It may interest Anthony Smith, because he seems to enjoy titilation, that that great news organ 'The Sun' today says that Bradford girls have the largest breasts in the country! At 41 inches on average that really is a handful. Keighley not being far away must benefit from such a delightful statistic. I reckon it's the Tetleys and Taylors that does it.

I once walked Julia Lovett home after a party. She lived in Grafton Rd. There was a small side passage down the side of her house. We went down there. Rest is censored.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Current location (optional) www.whitesea.co.uk

Can you imagine lads today walking the distances we walked to accompany a girl home?I usually,it seemed ,landed someone from Oxenhope or Oakworth--I lived at Cross Roads.If I got off with a Haworth lass I was happy !! Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) candbwalsh@xtra.co.nz

Re Mick Cowbourne's comments: I'm not into titilation [sic] per se and was really trying to elicit responses from others who read the site but don't contribute. Curiously enough the young ladies to which I referred weren't ale suppers despite there physical attributes. Their attraction ranged from the musical (primarily) to the carnal (unfortunately,secondary).
Still no pictures I see of any of the"birds" mentioned.
Come on Mick I'm sure you'll have 'mementoes' hidden away somewhere.You'll see from my note/photo on the School Council you appear in person along with me courtesy of the Daily Mirror.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) anthonysmith@riparia.freeserve.co.uk

Congratulations to Anthony G. Smith for sending in some of the best photos on the website. Keep it up. I wonder if drinking alcohol does really add something to the breast sizes of women. That 41 inches average size for Bradford does seem rather 'over the top' to me. When I was at KBGS girls with large breasts were said to have 'big jugs' and those less favoured to have 'penny buns'. By the way I don't remember Mick Cowbourne being 'a ladies man'. He used to drink vast quantities of Taylors and was a bit of misery, quite frankly. His taste in ladies was far less interesting than say Anthony G. Smith.

I started this thread on our opposite numbers at the Girls' Grammar School but of course we had our own intake of girls at Oakbank. If my memory is correct it was in 1966 we were blessed with 8? girls who joined the 5th year.
Still struggling with their names - anyone help beyond: Shirley Thornton, Margaret Read,Margaret Patterson? No photos 'though.

Brian Moate may be interested to learn that Julia Lovatt has taught English at a college in Quebec for many years and is a resident of Canada. As far as I recall she lived on Westbourne Avenue but this may have been a later address.

Right on both counts, Anthony. As for the side passage, I can't possibly comment on that.

Kevin Emmott's thanks for the photos sent is appreciated. Tell me if you used to live in Bingley (and knocked around with Billy Garnett - is he still alive?)If you're one and the same your close 'mates'were the likes of Peter Tolson and Brian Steel. Interestingly the latter is now a Chief Inspector with Bradford Police Force. A very far cry from his gozzing abilities on the squashed masses from the back down that infamous tunnel as we filed in after lunch!

Re.Anthony Smith and his quest for names.
Jane Nelson from Morton was a "stunner", trouble was she knew it! (a P.T. if there ever was one). Penheligan was another girl I recall.
Then of course there was Fenella Brownbridge, already mentioned in previous posts (or despatches!). These girls may not quite qualify for the original intake at Oakbank, but as I was still interested in train spotting and speedway at the time, I may be forgiven for any inaccuracies.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) fonth@btinternet.com

Current location (optional) Under the cellar stairs

Yes, those three girls mentioned by Peter Fonth are remembered. The interesting thing about all three is that they came to Oakbank from private schools. Jane Nelson of the large promontories used to have parties at her largish house at East Morton. Peneheligan also had parties at her also largish house in Nab Wood, Shipley. Good old Fenella Brownbridge was the daughter of the mayor of Keighley. She had a tantalising affair with English teacher Paddy Rusk before going on to marry Neil Cuthbert, the teacher and cricketer. They later divorced.

Deborah Pengelley, not Penhaligan. Yes, they were good parties.

Don't think any of the names mentioned were part of the original intake - or at least they don't ring any bells.If anyone has a relevant class photo of the period it may remind me of the others.IW is whom, by the way?

No names - no pack drill.
After all, who knows who married whom?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) sjspye@hotmail.com

I was talking on the 'phone to Phil Atack (now a vicar in Colwyn Bay) after Christmas and he reminded me of the name of another of the 'original' girls - Glynis (Jackson?).If I recall she had very slightly prominent front teeth and a shock of ginger hair - Jason Harrod (see my photo submission of the School Council) used to 'go out' with her.
Re Shaun Pye's last comment - do I take it he married one of the girls I initially mentioned or knew of somone who was?!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) anthonysmith@riparia.freeserve.co.uk

No, Anthony. Neither is the case.
I had simply thought I might post a message concerning a couple of young [now middle aged] ladies.
But then I thought .... Who knows .....

Go ahead Shaun, they are probably both living in Australia now. Anyway in my experience most ladies like to be reminded of their salacious past. It puts a bit of spring in their step.

I'll decline Ian's invitation, but I do have a suggestion.
This seems like a good topic for people to start searching through the old photos.