KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: "The Dreaded Report Book"

Bet it was Anthony G. Smith. That excellent repository for KBGS memorabillia.

I have my report books somewhere (One for the lower school and one for the sixth form), maybe I can find a few good quotes from it!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Current location (optional) www.whitesea.co.uk

For many, many years my mum kept all my reports and even some examination papers. I tried to retrieve them a few years ago but somewhere along the line they've disappeared. I still live in hope that they'll turn up in some old bicky tin at the back of a cupboard. I do recall a final comment from Joe on one page though:

'Alright, Trevor has asked for trouble and will get it'.

Cheers
TP

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) tpdesign@primus.com.au

Current location (optional) studiofour.com.au

Yes, David, it was I who sent in the image of the Report inside cover. Still have the reports for both KBGS and for Keighley School at Oakbank. Am willing to display some early reports for a modest fee!
Anyone out there still have their green and white striped blazer suitably sporting the school badge? Regrettably mine disappeared into the bin many years ago.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) anthonysmith@riparia.freeserve.co.uk

I still have the report book from 1943-1946 and also the athletic sports programmes 1943-1946. The teachers initialled the entries which makes identifying them rather difficult.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) mikemarynichols@hotmail.com

Blimey. That final comment from Joe Watthey to Trevor Pickles takes some beating.

'Alright, Trevor has asked for trouble and will get it'. Sounds more like the mafia than a rational and well balanced headmaster!

In response to Anthony Smith's query, I have to admit that mine [striped blazer] is still hanging in my son's wardrobe. Slightly patched, but still there!

He's used it on several occasions when 'fancy-dress' has been required.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) david.baldwin@maverickeurope.com

Current location (optional) www.maverickeurope.com

Dave, It would be great if you could take a digital photo of it and send it to our webmaster for posting!
That blazer was a classic.

I seem to remember getting my green and white striped blazer passed on to me from another pupil. How much did they cost new?

Brian's request actioned and the '6th Form Blazer' can be viewed in the 'Photos contributed by old boys' section.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) david.baldwin@maverickeurope.com

Current location (optional) www.maverickeurope.com

I still have my report books. And what a collection of thoughtful comments the staff used to write ! Satisfactory (phew!), unsatisfactory (well, obviously with 12%),could do better ( you don't say!),must learn (do my parents REALLY have to read this!),poor ( insightful comment if ever there was one),excellent ( rare occurrence), promising (oh I'm not a complete failure then) blah blah. Those report comments were about as meaningful as Mark Nicholas saing "Good shot,sir!!" or R.Benaud dryly " Not intentional that one." Perhaps some of the "masters" were half sloshed as they wrote/scribbled,or had a fair wench on their knee and scotch at hand.

Harry 'Blinks' Milton once told us, whilst he often wrote 'Trying' on a report, he preferred the slightly improved 'Very Trying'

I still have mine('47-'51) tucked away somewhere.I often think of Bill Midgleys remarks one year---"has no aptitude for this subject" as I struggle with DI Y projects at home.I wonder would he be impressed,dismayed or concerned if he saw the array of power tools in my workshop.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) candbwalsh@xtra.co.nz

Reading the postings on this site,encouraged me to dig out my old school reports

They were very varied ranging from "Most Unsatisfactory makes no effort whatsoever"from "Charlie Peach"in Geography to one "Excellent"from Albert "Basher" Braithwaite of all people in Maths.

Like Bill Walsh,I received "Lacks Aptitude" from "Bill Midge"in woodwork,which was quite good compared to a friend of mine who moved to KBGS from Bingley.

He said that the Woodwork teacher there had put on his report "Makes Good Firewood!

Phil Croft's handwriting took a lot of deciphering. On my first report for History, my Dad read "shows" as "clowns". It took some explaining. I had to produce my History book with examples of Croft's handwriting to convince him.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) terrymarston@hotmail.com