KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Tricks played on Masters

The mention of Sam Riley reminds me of an incident when our class for some reason was temporarily moved into the Senior Physics Lab.from the one next door.If I recall correctly there was a storage area above this classroom where schoolplay props were kept.Sam had climbed up to sort some stuff out, when a Fifth Former called Peter Fox came in and said he needed to take the ladder away, which he duly did.Sam having been left stranded started appealing to be rescued and became quite animated by his standards.Cant remember how long he was left up there.

Maths teacher Marcus Stott was an expert at catching the board duster which we regularly placed over the door when he was due to teach us. However on one occasion we had a surprise visit from Arnold "Beaky" Birch,who was not used to such "goings on". Unfortunately the duster made contact with his nose and he was not very happy. Marcus Stott had a difficult time trying to convince him that it was a joke meant for him, and apologised on our behalf.

After hours of practice with a tiny penknife, I managed to bore a hole almost through a full stick of chalk - from the fat to the thin end. Sitting at the feet of Wilbur, I placed it on his desk so he could not see the excavated end. It was his wont frequently to attack the board with the chalk - but on this occasion we just got the talk - to the disappointment of most of the class who were in the know. Then just on the bell, someone dropped a clanger that inspired Wilbur to snatch the only piece of chalk on his desk and attack the board. He stood there aghast, yelling, "It just disintegrated in my hand."

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) terrymarston@hotmail.com

Yes, that was a good one with the chalk stick. Now, if we could have put some LSD on Yogi Crowther's chalk, it would have had interesting possibilities. He liked to smoke his new sticks of chalk. Probably, because he was a chain smoker himself.

There was the occasion when someone had inadvertently left the key in the lock of one of the Alice Street classrooms. With our whole class in situ, I decided, unwisely as it happened, to lock out Crud who was late for some reason and for whom we were waiting with our usual demure patience.
To my horror, the key refused to unlock the door again. Then, whose florid features should appear at the window? - W.A.Bloomfield no less. After much remonstrating via the glass on his part, and my vain attempts to pass the key under the door as Bedlam ensued within, Wilbur was reduced to walking (or sending a runner) across to the main building to procure a duplicate key from "The Office".
Strangely I heared no more about the incident - he must have had a soft spot for me! I don't think Crud ever appeared - or at least not before order had been restored.

I vaguely recall a German teacher named Heaney (although I never took German)who used to take detention in the main hall. Prone to manic outbursts he was nevertheless unable to instill discipline into proceedings and detention invariably turned into a riot.Some of the 5th form reprobates used to 'fry' wine gums on the radiators and attach them to his gown as he patrolled the hall on these occasions.
Incidentally, I see Jonathan Cox has posted several entries. Can youn confirm, Jonathan, whether you're one and the same who used to live on Staveley Road in Bingley and had a sister? I think. If memory serves me correctly we used to 'lake about' a bit in the early days. I now live in deepest Norfolk but still visit old haunts fairly regularly.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) anthonysmith@riparia.freeserve.co.uk