KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: One Hundred Lines

What a mindless exercise it was! However, two sets of lines handed out by (a) Bob Westall and (b) Malcolm Slater have remained forever etched in my memory. From Beardy Westall: 'words are silver but silence is golden'- that to the whole of 1E (1959/1960)for talking while the artist was out of the room (by the way, where did teachers bugger of to during lessons?). That from Frenchie Slater; 'Renault cars are good cars' in retaliation for mickey-taking over his left hand drive 1950s Renault 4. I've had several Renaluts over the years. I wonder why?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) gwalker@diocant.org

Re: One Hundred Lines

Setting an "essay" with a given number of words was a more amusing penalty. I remember IG Patterson (Scripture and Geog 1952-56 approx) imposing a punishment of a 200 word essay on "Fried Eggs" on Dave Collen, Dave Thomas and me - quite a challenge for 1st formers. As a prefect I remember some of the essays (and efforts) set for that Thursday night detention "conversazione" - eg "A Cricket Match" ("Rained off!") and "Keighley" - ("There are 2 rivers, the Worth and the Aire. There are several banks the Midland, Barclays.......")

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) terrymarston@hotmail.com

Re: One Hundred Lines

Good fortune has smiled on me and I have just taken early retirement from the education system, having been headteacher of a primary school [amongst other things]. For the past two months I have been seconded part-time to another post and it has been interesting to view the school from a little distance during that time.
During my last day in the school (on the penultimate day of term) I had the pleasure of seeing a child writing out lines as a punishment. My deputy had dredged the practice from the depths of her memory.
As a child on the receiving end of the practice I had regarded it as bordering on barbaric. Having knowledge of the child who was writing the lines I now regard it as an important, and charming, part of the educative process. Long may it last.
I withdraw all the curses I placed on those who gave me lines as a child and hope that none of them took effect [particularly the ones relating to impotence].

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) sjspye@hotmail.com