KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: One Hundred Lines

It could have been Percy Peart.
Come on Brian Moate. You have often been like Leslie Welch the Memory Man on this site. Can't you help?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) sjspye@hotmail.com

Whoever it was, it was the mark of genius.

Basher Braithwaite's punishment was filling in the squares of a piece of graph paper, individually.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) d.r.boddy@btinternet.com

Percy was certainly a 'line giver' particularly if he had forgotten his plimsoll, and I think 'Gus' Cullingford the same, if 'Adenae' wasnt with him ,but Gus's lines were often in Latin. But oddly I cant remember too many 'line givers'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Current location (optional) www.whitesea.co.uk

D.J.Bowen was a line-giver, mainly for talking in class, as I found to my cost in Form 1C.
Vincent-Firman and Westall used to give chunks of the Bible to copy out (that is until my Ma stuck her oar in!).

Re: Re: One Hundred Lines

What a mindless exercise it was! However, two sets of lines handed out by (a) Bob Westall and (b) Malcolm Slater have remained forever etched in my memory. From Beardy Westall: 'words are silver but silence is golden'- that to the whole of 1E (1959/1960)for talking while the artist was out of the room (by the way, where did teachers bugger of to during lessons?). That from Frenchie Slater; 'Renault cars are good cars' in retaliation for mickey-taking over his left hand drive 1950s Renault 4. I've had several Renaluts over the years. I wonder why?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) gwalker@diocant.org

Setting an "essay" with a given number of words was a more amusing penalty. I remember IG Patterson (Scripture and Geog 1952-56 approx) imposing a punishment of a 200 word essay on "Fried Eggs" on Dave Collen, Dave Thomas and me - quite a challenge for 1st formers. As a prefect I remember some of the essays (and efforts) set for that Thursday night detention "conversazione" - eg "A Cricket Match" ("Rained off!") and "Keighley" - ("There are 2 rivers, the Worth and the Aire. There are several banks the Midland, Barclays.......")

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) terrymarston@hotmail.com

Good fortune has smiled on me and I have just taken early retirement from the education system, having been headteacher of a primary school [amongst other things]. For the past two months I have been seconded part-time to another post and it has been interesting to view the school from a little distance during that time.
During my last day in the school (on the penultimate day of term) I had the pleasure of seeing a child writing out lines as a punishment. My deputy had dredged the practice from the depths of her memory.
As a child on the receiving end of the practice I had regarded it as bordering on barbaric. Having knowledge of the child who was writing the lines I now regard it as an important, and charming, part of the educative process. Long may it last.
I withdraw all the curses I placed on those who gave me lines as a child and hope that none of them took effect [particularly the ones relating to impotence].

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) sjspye@hotmail.com