KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Meat Pies

My cousin owns Stables butchers at the bottom of Spring Garden's Lane and a better pie you will be hard put to find. Call in and sample one if ever you're passing if you don't believe me.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) d.r.boddy@btinternet.com

My present business partner Gordon, who had his schooldays at Harrogate GS, always refers to meat pies as 'growlers' though I had never heard of the term. He still has one for lunch (with mustard) from Ainslies in Headingley, just below our office. He always asks for a growler. However a couple of weeks ago an old fellow in front of him asked for a 'great mystery of life'. Without demur, the girl served him a pie. He explained to Gordon that this was what they were called in the army, the mystery being that you never knew what went into them.
I remember Hoffmans butchers in Church Green, but my mother mainly used Jack Hirds butchers in Oakworth Rd. He made his own growlers too.
I also remember Mr Pakes butchers in the market, who, when I was small, used to let me turn the handle on his sausage making machine.
Finally, my gradfather always called meat & potato pies '10 to 1'ers',as they invariably had 10 parts potato to 1 part of meat.

Re: Meat Pies and I.W.

I happen to know that Cobbydale's finest I.W. has always called meat pies 'growlers'.

But then he used to put his fish and chips in the freezer before scoffing them.

He used to call his KBGS snack's 'Jock' as well. And nothing to do with his Scottish predecessor.

?

(.)(.)

!

Lunds Butchers at the bottom of Fell Lane makes a good pork pie. Get there in the morning and they'll offer you a hot one. Or if you are in Skipton Stamforth's (almost at the start of Gargrave road)does a roaring trade, but watch out for the scalding hot 'gravy' if you get a hot one.

We used to call the Cornish pasties which they sold at Oakbank growlers.....

Yes, those growlers were sold by a pupil's father that owned the greengrocers shop near the bottom gate at Oakbank. That rather chubby pupil with glasses was a rugby player we used to call 'Gez' Sharp. 'Gez' being short for the portly 'Lamburger Gessler' in the William Tell TV show at the time. Tell the truth those pasties -- when they were hot -- were really good or pretty suspect. And his dad was a bit suspicious too with his grubby brown lab coat. Those growlers were made at a factory in Connonly. Cue here for IW to weigh in and tell us it was Sutton and not Connonly.

Crosshills, actually, at the famous nasty pasty factory. Worked there for a fortnight one summer holiday. Got sacked for bad timekeeping (7am start. Strewth!). Then Airedale Hospital opened and I went there for richer pickings.

By the way IW there is a large fake-friendly hospital porter at Airedale Hospital who is known to me. Do you recognise him?

?

Maybe too obscure, that one. You have met him though.

I am racking my brains, oh Man of Mystery!