KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Identities

What a good idea Terry!

I am on the 1954 Panorama on 1954a

2nd from the left on the next to the back row, with John Lund the butcher next to me.

If you can recognise teachers Paul Greenwood and Norman Olive,then go 5 rows above the two of them.

You fail to say where you are on the photo!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Davchris@n3946.freeserve.co.uk

I haven't found myself on the panoramas yet but I'm on the left of the 'New School 1966' photo. Richard Cowie is on the right.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) bill@bracewel.demon.co.uk

Look for Watthey on the 64 panorama. I am 3rd row down from the top . Am slightly rt. of Joe.. Next to me on my left is S. Laurie now deceased.Nearby is P. Browes,D. Baldwin,Crutch and Pawson. E-mail me for details re Steve`s demise.
Also wearing yellow pullover whilst in crater of Vesuvious photo I think.

OK
1954 -c- 6 rows back and 13th from left - directly above Jim Naylor and partially obscured by a big youth (Hart?)
1958 - 3 wearing black blazer, standing immediately behind and between Sam Riley and Ben Tren
1960 -4 11th from left on seated row and next to bespectacled German assistant

1960 directly behind and between Emery&Payne

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) d.r.boddy@btinternet.com

Terry, I pick you as 15 from the left in the 1960 image, not 11.

For the record - in the '58 image I'm in the second front row and 17 from the left. I have a decidedly hitler-like haircut and you can see me only from the nose up!
In the '60 image I'm on the back row and 13 from the right and have a more fashionable bouffant style!!

I've been thoroughly enjoying the ongoing communication between various KBGSers - I'll try and add some more of my own memories soon.

Cheers
TP

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) tpdesign@primus.com.au

Current location (optional) www.studiofour.com.au

Yes. Trevor. You must be right. I can't get the image to include the extreme left of the group. However, I am still sitting next to the German assistant. I found you OK on both counts

I appear 5 times on photos. The best is the FORM 4 1962, where I am on right end of middle row. (Bernard Tennant next to me).
1960 Panorama, front row, crosslegged, 2 rows under those two thugs Cronshaw and Braithwaite.
1964 Panorama , right side, fourthe row from front, 6 in.
Also on Spanish trip leaving Bradford station, then of course with Jim Hall in Spain.
John A - yes thats you in the yellow jumper on my Vesuvius photos (B Shuttleworth, then Grainger behind you). Also you with Shuttleworth on the chair lift, but not very clear.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Just seen this topic and have sent a copy of my photgraph of 1962's '3B' ('Snake' Emery being the Form Master).I have also sent as many names as I can remember and have asked Chris Firth to see what he can do to include them somewhere. However, some names are missing, whilst I appreciate others could be wrong, and any assistance in completing a correct list would be appreciated.

On a similar basis, this process could also be applied to the other photographs, but in a more-ordered manner to those currently being posted.

I would be willing to 'manage' the process (if anyone feels that it would be worthwhile) as well as undertaking some of the work and if anyone is interested in helping to complete this task then I would appreciate it if they would drop me an email.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) david.baldwin@maverickeurope.com

Current location (optional) www.maverickeurope.com

Re Daves request, I may as well put all the names for Form 4 1962 here. It, should actually be Form 4X, May 1962, taken just before we took our GCE's (We were the express stream, hence 4X!)

Back row: Peter Messenger, Darrell Camm, Brian Craven, David Foulger, Keith Lowcock, Richard Battarbee, C James Hall, John Whitley, Alan Wearmouth, Peter Holmes.
Middle row: Michael Bennison, Kevin Hawkins, Eric Walton, Allan Jones, Mr Wilbert A Bloomfield, John Bailey, Thomas Pearson, Bernard Tennant, Brian Moate.
Front Row: Brian Goodall, William Darlington,David Labrum, John Pike, Stuart Sharp, Robert Stead, Michael Sharpe, Brian Shuttleworth, John Bracewell.

At the moment I know of the whereabouts of 9 of these, not counting myself.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

1960 panorama - Directly in front of "Ben.Tren." with (it looks like) the late Dave Harding immediately on my left and Peter Messenger next to him. John Haygarth is 2 places to my right.
1964 panorama - Wearing (beloved!) striped blazer, standing 2 rows directly behind Mr.Dunthorne, between Neil Taylor and ? Smith.
1961 4X - Correctly identified by Brian Moate.
(Incidentally, I believe Stead's name to be ROGER - Robert being his cousin in a different form, same year).

Now that Dave Baldwin has identified me on his 3b photo I can add a few names.Back Row John Hemsley next to Rodney Cheetham, next to Derek Barnes.Middle Row Alan Marston, Jim Green to the right of Geoff Wade.Front Row Barry Seward.I'd forgotten that Emery was the Form Mastter,I dont know what we did to deserve that.

Thanks Brian,

That helps a lot. I've also amended and added some other names.

Still not sure about Jim Green being next to Geoff 'Chopper' Wade. I still think that it's Fred Broster from the 'White Bear' in Eastburn.

Looks as though we've just got one missing now, between John Brayshaw and John Hemsley.

Back Row
Brian Mechen;Brian Talbot;Michael Hopwood;
John Depledge;JohnBrayshaw;?;John Hemsley;
Rodney Cheetham;Derek Barnes;Steve Bradley(deceased);

Middle Row
Chris Barker;Philip Hayton;Ian McKenzie;Steve Horsman;Geoff Funnell;Alan Marston;Ian Morley;
Victor Bailey;Geoff Wade;Fred Broster

Front Row
Stuart Bird;Alec Taylor;Dave Baldwin;‘Snake’ Emery; Barry Seward;Philip Woodhead

After a second look I think you are right re Fred Broster.Pity the missing guy wasnt taller.The only ones I've seen over the years since leaving are yourself,Stuart B and Geoff Funnell.Do you know anything about any of the others?By the way Jock Fraser is now Ian Mckenzie on your update.

Sorry Brian, I don't know who Ian McKenzie is slight 'up-cock' I think.

The only other that I have come into contact with is Chris Barker, when he worked for Provident Financial and the 'The People's Bank' in Bradford. Steve Bradley died whilst working for the Midland Bank in Skipton and I think that I saw Alan Marston pictured in the Yorkshire Post as Financial Director of Lookers a few years back. I kept bumping into Steve Horsman when he worked for the Midland and HSBC in Keighley and Bradford but that's many years ago.

Jim Green is back in Haworth apparently and I'll try to obtain some more information about his whereabouts.

Thanks for the further info Dave.I wonder what happened to Michael Hopwood, he was an outstanding scholar and very talented pianist if I remember rightly.One further thought on our 3b mystery man, could it have been Ian Nicholl?I saw him a year or so ago at Wharfedale Rugby Club.

Michael Hopwood's father was Assistant Manager at Martins Bank, now Barclays at the bottom of Devonshire Street, and he left when his father was moved away from Keighley by the bank.

Just realised that it's not 'Brian Talbot' but 'Stephen Talbot' (see 'Visiitor's Book - now in Washington DC) on the back row - he used to blow/play? the euphonium in the school band because, from memory, he was the only one who could lift it!

Ref mine and Dave B's earlier recollections of Form 3b.In clearing out a drawer at the weekend I found my copy of the photograph and realised that 3 classmates were missing from the posting.These were Steve Trippet,Adrian Allen and Richard? Cowie.By the way Dave, I now feel more sure that it was Jim Green not Fred Broster and a further thought on the mystery man on the back row could it have been ? Houldsworth.Perhaps your old mate Stuart Bird could help.
Seasons Greetings to all.

Re: Re: Identities

To Brian Craven,
On Oct 28th you mentioned a ?Smith - I think this is Stuart Smith. His dad and John Bailey's dad were both butchers in Cowling. Coincidence 387? Or - what the hell's that got to do with anything?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) albcingu2000@yahoo.co.uk

Browsing through early topics I came across "Identities" from 2004
I think like most of you its easier to remember Names/Faces from School than the present day. Names to faces accrued over a 5 year spell but at least members of one's school form.
Here goes 1954 segment 3
A line to the back row taken between Mr. Bloomfield and Mr Fenwick will reach David Harris, then to the right Barry C. Smith, Karl Merkhens, Eric S Wright, Tony Marshall, Me, Alan Sale, Brian Fox, Christopher Cockshott, Denis Avery, Keith Garnett, ?? , Donald Beck. Sited immediately behind ? Merrick and Stanley Hutchinson
----------------------------------------------------------

New contributors to the site could help others by identifying themselves in their schooldays

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

How have I missed this thread?
To Brian Craven.
In your post of Oct 2004 you refer to the late David Harding. I referred to this in a much earlier post and a respondent (I forget who it was) replied that it was his brother, James, who had been killed in a climbing accident. I assume that you are certain that it was David.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

I've been under the impression it was Dave for many years, Shaun. However, as it was from a newspaper report at the time of the accident, I'm not that certain.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Yes Ive always been confused about which one of them it was.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I'm a fourth former on the 1958 panorama - detail 2. Between and above Gilbert Swift and ? Stockdale (huge, loud, scary but funny Chemistry teacher) I am third up in a line. Immediately above me is a fifth former. On his right is the super fast sprinter who used to play on the opposite wing to me for the Keighlians a few years later. I have forgotten his name. Anybody remember it?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 54-59

Current location (optional) Denholme

Brian Marklew - a speedy winger and prolific try scorer. If, Gareth, you look up the school XV for 58-9 (under "sports") you and Ian Park are the 2 wingers in the photo. Brian was either absent or had moved on. He scored some great tries.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln