KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: The least admired members of staff

1. All of them !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) thesteve2@blueyonder.co.uk

Incidentally, there are no mementoes of KBGS at the present Oakbank GS, which replaced KBGS. They keep archives for ten years then throw them out. This forum and possibly Keighley Library are likely the only places that record that KBGS ever existed.

Liked : Cullingford,S.Riley,Hughes,Slater,Bloomfield,Bowen.
Disliked:
Westall,Firman,Emery,Allinson.

I won't apologise for rating Cronshaw quite highly as he introduced me to Tolkein. I remember being captivated by his graphic readings of the hobbit - "what's it got in its pockets?". There was one period a week which was reading or something. It was the hobbit in its entireity. He followed on by the fellowship of the ring by which time I got impatient and got the books, one by one, out of the library.

Least admired amongst a very strange bunch must be Franky Wellock. After an early season Colts rugby practice one wet dark night he told me he never wanted to see me there again. A great demotivator. it was only after I left school that I played, and enjoyed, rugby again - admittedly at a coarse level.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) bill@bracewel.demon.co.uk

Possibly this item should be renamed These You Have Loathed.
Anyway ... here goes ...

Eddy Current - for being humourless and useless
Emery - for being thoroughly unpleasant
Crud - for being inept
Vince - for losing his head when all about him were keeping theirs
Cronshaw - for being a plonker

I am relieved that William Bracewell has also seen that dark unpleasant side of the dwarf-like Frank Wellock. He was a nasty little man who should have been booted into touch and out of the teaching profession. He obviously did not have the warmth of character for it. Some of his actions were spiteful and he definitely deserved the red card. Is that the same Bracewell that used to consume copious quantities of the award-winning Timothy Taylors' bitter.

Of course. It's young William - brother of Robert and cousin of Eddie and John.
Any news of John? - some of his former class mates have been trying to re-establish contact, with no luck.

John moved to Bristol area I believe, never married.
My mother sees an aunt of his occasionally, not sure if its William/Robert's mother or not.
Can you clarify William?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Yes it is I!

Eddie lives fairly near Bath and John lives not too far away from him. I've got John's (and Eddie's) address if someone wants to email me direct.

The aunty isn't my mum - she died 7 years ago.

And I don't drink Taylor's bitter any longer - I've graduated to Landlord.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) bill@bracewel.demon.co.uk

Bill Bracewell. We all drink Taylor's Landlord, even in London. Did not Madonna refer to Taylors as 'the champagne of beers'.

Enoch ?R.I.P.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

We all liked Basher Braithwaite and Mad Willy
Disliked Pearson and JJW-F(Bit of a poser )
As a youth I used to fetch the used grains from Taylors Brewery to supplement cattle feed if you ever saw the inside of the brewery in those days you would never drink their beer

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) cumbria

SAM, I did not know JJ W-F was a teacher at KBGS!!!???

Yes Arthur he taught English and was I believe our Form Master for a time

Sam . J J W-F was an Old Boy and a contemporary of mine. I knew him when he was John Feather at Eastwood.

And Arthur, do you remember you and I being choirboys down at Holy Trinity Church, down Lawkholme Lane, together with the Feather brothers, John and George?
I recall occasions when we used to get dressed up in our cassocks and surplices and after indulging in some 'high jinks' in the Bell-ringing room, trying to make our way in solemn procession to the altar, suppressing 'the giggles' as best we could. John's brother, George, was the worst; once he started giggling, we all joined in! We were 'ticked off' more than once, for this. But then, we were 'nobbut lads'!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Arthur you hit the nail on the head
Some of my classmates knew he was originally ca lled Feather but after University he became double-barrelled and with a refined accent to boot!!!!!!!
I believe he is still alive and an expert on the Dales-well he was an expert on everything else

J.W.F. told me in a letter that he hypered to a double barrelled one to increase his chances of obtaining a higher rank whilst on "national sevice"
Wish I`d done that as my middle name is FLETCHER

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

David, George W-F recently signed up to the KBGS website. Maybe you missed it. I wrote to him, mistakenly believing it was JJ W-F - who certainly does 'tune in' to the website from time to time.

Their sister taught me, and Terry Marston, at Eastwood Infants School. I too joined Holy Trinity Church choir, though only for a very short time - I wasn't too keen on the dresses!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

My middle name is Woods but I have never had a satisfactory explanation as to why except that an uncle was similarly named.

Good job your first name wasn't "Peck" or "Oldmouse".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I don't have a middle name, but it could have been Hammond!!!

I do have a middle name and boy do I flaunt it.

John de Fraine Felvus

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

There was an old man who lived down Lawkholme Lane called John Barrett. He was born on Mafeking Night. He was witness to a traffic incidence and was asked for his full name by the policeman, 'Nay tha dusna want that.',he told the police, the bobby insisted and wet his pencil, ' I tell thi tha dusna want it.' The policeman threatened him with hindering the police so he delivered, 'John Makeking Ladysmith Kitchener Baden Powell Barrett' Theer nah are yuh satisfied!!'

Tha certainly din't flaunt "de Fraine" much in 1C, John!
(I thowt "Marcus" were bad enough).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

These revelations about middle names are all very interesting (and I'm keeping quiet about mine - and you keep your mouth shut on that one too, young Marston!), but surely, the 'Waddington' is not a middle name at all but rather his mother's maiden name; isn't that how 'double-headers' work?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

His initials are "A.D." - probably increasingly appropriate as time goes by.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln