KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: S L 'Sam' Riley (Smiler)

Sam was our form master in the 5th year (56-7). I think it was his first at KBGS. We nicknamed him "Slam" because of his initals. Yes he was always smiling though we could never work out why. His dad was a governor and/or town councillor and appeared at Speech Day in Temple Street Methodists. We were greatly amused to see a slightly more aged replica of Sam. He tried to liven up our form periods which were the first 15 mins after registration on a Thursday afternoon. He made us all in turn give a five minute talk. I remember telling the rest about a concert I'd seen in Leeds with Ella, Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie et al. Sam was chorister and enjoyed choral music. He tried to get me to explain why I liked modern jazz. He was unimpressed with my use of the epithet "cool" which has come round again in juvenile parlance.Sam started the ball rolling with a reading (in as authentic an accent as he could muster) of the opening of Haworth Railway by Bill O'th'Oylus End (sic?). We were greatly amused but not converted to Wuth Valley poesie. He and I never really hit it off but he was always courteous and respectful even though he had a mean index finger knuckle. I am sorry to learn of his personal tragedies. Is he not still with us?

Did not Sam Riley marry the deputy head of the KBGS successor, Oakbank GS. I seem to remember it being announced in assembly that Sam was getting wed to the blonde haired deputy who was in her forties. Anybody remember her name?

My memories of Sam were that although he was found to be an excellent teacher, he just used to stop.

He would be ctalking about a subject, usually with great passion and then stop and look into space or out the window in the physics lab on the top floor. We of course would find this amusing and time him to see how long he would take before he carried on as if nothing happened.

At the time it was seen as peculiar but in later life I learned that similar things are seen as epilectic fits but are not the vilent type people know about. The person usually has no recollection of what happened.

Perhaps his personal tragedy was the start.

Still rate him as one the best teachers I had at school.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Keith_Bowen@btinternet.com

And I was whacked severely by that thug Cronshaw for doing the same thing as Sam Riley. Looking quietly out the window. Except Sam was probably thinking about a blonde with big tits -- while I was thinking about whether to watch 'The Lone Ranger' or the 'Cisco Kid'when I got home.

It seems, judging from comments which span many years at both KGS and Oakbank, that Sam was about as popular as any school-master could ever hope to be. It's a welcome change to see someone recalled with much greater esteem than many of his colleagues (although I've no quarrel with the contempt expressed about some of those!)
Like Brian Moate, I was taught physics exclusively by Sam - 5 successive years for which I thank my good fortune. He had much to do with my decision to pursue the subject beyond school, an unlikely outcome had I encountered the other "cowboys" lampooned recently in this forum (although a physics teacher named Jackson seemed well up to the job).
Inevitably we took the mickey, but Sam had the self-assuredness to rise above "losing it" with us. Aside from the odd knuckling or slap I can't recall him ever punishing anyone. His penchant for drifting off into trances was probably a very effective way of maintaining order and quiet, as we did our utmost to extend the interval!
One of the good guys; what happened to him?

Sam Riley's first wife was from a Silsden family and died in around 1965. He did get engaged to the deputy head lady (Miss Dale?), but they never married. He did remarry, and went to be deputy head of a comprehensive in Birmingham.

I thought Sam Riley was a great man for reading from his exercise book full of copious notes.

I knew Sam`s dad,George. He used to be the Post master at Oakworth Rd. P.O.. In his short -lived retirement he lived on Prospect Mt. just round the corner from me. My elderly parents still there and always refer to him as one of nature`s gentlemen.In Sept`63 I broke my rt leg playing rugby on Marley tip. The Dr told me that I had to stay at home for the rest of the term. Too many steps to negotiate on crutches and the nature of my breaks made it too dangerous not to take his advice. Quite naturally, being my `O` level year, I was all for jacking in my career at KBGS.George visited and in his capacity as a Governor of KBGS persuaded me to carry on. He arranged for home tuition and kept a fatherly interest. Watthey never bothered. When I finally got back to school I remember apologising to Gilbert for swearing at him after the accident. Yes, George was a character but he was a gentleman.Like father,like son.!

Yes John, I now remember George at the Post Office too. And I remember you breaking your leg. Pleased to hear you parents are well, mine are quite near to them at the top of Wheathead Lane. I think Sam also lived up Fell Lane somewhere.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Re: Re: S L 'Sam' Riley (Smiler)

Wasn't Molly Sugden invoved somewhere? Or is/was she a relation?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) bill@bracewel.demon.co.uk

I have it on good authority,my parents, that Sam used to attend dances at St.Peter`s Church on Kensington St,now Paki land. He spent a lot of time dancing and hanging out with Molly Sugden. Apparently she lived opposite the entrance to Lund Park. The corner of Park Avenue. Again part of the Indian sub-continent. Miss Duckney,head of Ingrow Juniors and much feared used to live at the bottom of this Avenue. Good job she`s no longer around to see how the area has changed!

I played in a dance band (all "teenagers") in the '50s and we had regular "engagements" (gigs) at St Peter's. There was a very smart MC (Nigel?) who used to lead the dancing when there was any new or complex dance to be demo'ed. Do you know when Sam did his dancing at St Peter's? It would be good to know that Sam danced to my tune - as I often had to do to his when he was our form master. Also that Molly Sugden pussy-footed to my tempos.

Mollie Sugden is Paul Sugden's auntie, Paul being a "KBGSer" approx 1958-1963.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) d.r.boddy@btinternet.com

I visited my parents in Keighley yesterday, and as mentioned earlier, my mother was at school with Sam and indeed Mollie Sugden. She confirms that in fact Sam and Mollie were engaged! But Mollie insisted on going off to Drama school/college, Sam couldnt accept this and Mollie dumped him. I wonder if Sam stroked her pussy, oft referred to in 'Are you being served'.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Ah, Brian. Thanks for keeping up the politcal incorrectness of this forum.

I visit the site from time to time and, on occasions, post messages. I find the great majority of postings fascinating (even those from people I never knew about others I never knew).
I have seen outbreaks of vulgarity, spates of gentle teasing (to which I must plead guilty on accasions) and, occasionally, common abuse. They are all welcome, and enrich the site.
Today, however, I have seen the first (and, I hope, last) instance of racially offensive language [24th].
Please let's keep this off the site.