KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Cycle Trip

John's note also brings to my mind two cycle trips organised by P D (Nancy) Leeming in form 3S2 prior to the formation of 3X at Easter.
One involved cycling to Pateley Bridge, then up the ridiculously steep hill 9cant recall its name at the moment) to visit Stump Cross Caverns, and back via Skipton. I only had a Sturmey Archer geared bike and found it a big struggle.
The second one went via Skipton and up to Arncliffe/Litton, along the road below Pen-y-Ghent (Lots of gates to open and close - the first one there had to open it, then let all the others through so he was then last in the queue, so no one was keen to lead). By that time I had a much better Dawes Dalesman bike.

Brian I remember cycling with Battarby to Pately Bridge and Stump Cross caverns The whole day was misty and wet .
I also remember a certain B.R.M.up at Arncliffe and kilnsey Crag.Was the bike a bit small for you Brian?

Yes John I remember that cycling trip very well. We cycled from York over the North Moors to Castleton YHA on the first day. Second day to Boggle Hole YHA Robin Hood's Bay. Third day to Malton YHA via Whitby. Then home on the fourth day. I remember it most for the fact that I cycled most of the first 3 days by myself, due to the fact that my BSA 3 geared machine was not suitable for the terrain that the others fancy bikes could manage, so I was sent round less "hilly" country. I even managed to fall off on one of the days.With blood pouring from my knee I knocked on the nearest door and a kind lady took me in , bandaged me up, gave me some biscuits and sent me on my way. I wish I could remember the master who took us. All I can remember about him was on the journey home he was behind me shouting keep it in top gear and peddle hard. I was totally knackered by the time we reached Keighley. Never again.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) d.r.boddy@btinternet.com

Could the teacher have been "Dickie" Henderson?
Cycling mad. We did bugger all French when Le tour was on.

Yes, it was Henderson. A clever so and so!!

Just to echo JF Ackroyd and his observation of "Dickie" Henderson,'bout him being a clever so and so. I saw a letter to the editor of the Independent a few years ago. Seems they (the paper) got it wrong regarding a piece about the "Tour de France", and good old "Dickie" took them to task! Think at the time he was residing in the Leicester area.
Cycling in ever decreasing circles no doubt!!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) fonth@btinternet.com

Current location (optional) Under the cellar steps