KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Yogi Crowther's weird verbal delivery

Sorry to disappoint Craig, but I don’t remember whacking a certain Wilf Lee, but if you can let me know what he looks like I’ll see what I can do!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) fonth@btinternet.com

Peter, I thought you had put Wilf Lee in his place. He was an ugly chubby geezer with a big nose. Could pack a punch though, but was a bully with it. Spoke with an unpleasant gutteral accent reminiscent of Sutton in Craven. A fan of Eddy Riley. Nowadays, probably a pig breeder or in charge of a muck spreader on the slopes of the lower Dales. Voted the worst boy in school. In fact, come to think of it I would not mind whacking him myself. Wonder where he is.

Just while we are on the subject of Wilf Lee, please may I have some 'Brownie' points for twice putting him in Prefects Detention. Once for smoking in his uniform on the bus, secondly for riding his bike pell mell down the bottom path, not long after Oakbank opened. The standard punishement for smoking was to be made (whilst in Prefects Detention) to write an essay entitled 'The consumption of the deadly weed is both irreligious and a bane to mankind'

Wilf Lee - the worst boy in KBGS

You were obviously destined for great things Brian, if you were able pinpoint 'a criminal in the making' in the form of Wilf Lee. I can imagine him now, flat cap placed placed firmly on a bald head, enormous beer belly and a broad irritating Dales accent. No doubt thought school days were 'a waste of bloody time' compared to muck spreading and dispatching innocent pigs to the slaughterhouse. Would no doubt make an excellent drinking companion for the uncouthed Harvey Smith. Who incidentally used to drink in the Busfield Arms at East Morton and probably still does.

Can anyone pinpoint the infamous Wilf Lee on either the '58 or the '60 panoramic images - I'm curious to see what he looked like?

tp

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) tpdesign@primus.com.au

Current location (optional) www.studiofour.com.au

More likely the 1964 panorama. I will have a look but it's difficult to recognise one's own image never mind another pupil!

Wilf Lee Spotted! Hope you can follow this. Left hand side of the photo, third row from the back. He's 7 in from the left, between a lad wearing a sports jacket (possibly Tich Ellis), and someone in a striped blazer.I understand that Wilf now lives in Tuscany, where he earns a living as a reflexologist and aromatherapist, and illustrates childrens' books.

Wilf Lee spotted

For one moment there IW I thought you had spotted him in Steeton/Silsden yesterday! I confess that panoramic picture does look like him though a bit less beefy than remembered. The nose is prominent. I doubt that Wilf Lee would travel to Tuscany, his favoured non-Dales locations are more likely Morecambe and Blackpool. Also, I don't suppose he has access to the internet on his pig farm, to confirm his current whereabouts. So we shall have to wait to give him some slapping.

You obviously haven't been to Morecambe lately. . .

....or Blackpool.

You are being most unfair to Mr Lee, although his conversion to Buddhism came as a great surprise to both his social worker and his probation officer.

Hey, why don't you guys back off Wilf Lee? I never met the guy but he sounds alright to me. Anybody who got put in prefects' detention and got prefects pissed off is my kind of guy. He smoked whilst in uniform? Tut, tut, how terrible! Being reckless whilst riding a bike? One wonders how Keighley survived!
Wilf, if you are out there I want you to know I am on your side even if you are an arsehole. I would rather associate with an arsehole than a goody two shoes any day.

Holy shit! My message went through EVEN WITH NAUGHTY WORDS IN IT! I'm soooooooooo baaad!

Lee needs his 'come uppance'

The point is Bernie old lad, is that Wilf Lee did not grab you by your green and white blazer lapels and threaten to nut (head-butt) you for having the temerity to question his stream of consciousness or moronic thoughts on the nature of life on the lower slopes of the Yorkshire Dales. By the way that happened more than once. All I'm saying is a neanderthal like that needs his 'come uppance'. An accidental knee in the proverbial groin would have done him the world of good. I can assure IW and myself have been on the receiving end of Joe Watthey's willow more than once.

Nope, never had the whack. Got flayed with a bunsen burner hose once by G.Holbrey (deceased), which smarted a bit. Had any teacher tried that with my son they would have ended up in intensive care. Twice. (once from him, once from me) Times, mercifully, have changed.

Funny that, I thought Holbrey a reasonable chap compared with Cronshaw, Riley or the incomprehensible Crowther.

Yes, I must have pushed him to the limit on a bad day. I'm not one to bear a grudge though. His wife was a very nice lady and his three sons were all god lads. Can't be easy goung to school where your dad's a teacher.

Yes, I guess your right IW. Mind you, I think Joe Watthey was a bit of a boring old twat, ending up in leafy Leicestershire. At least my old mate Doc Mike, the conoeist, and adventurer, was a cut above the rest. Expiring in the Himalayas and all that stuff.

With reference to some of the comments about Yogi Crowther and his wonderful struggle with the English language, it's a pity we can't just reflect on his accent and leave the character assassination for other places.Yogi was my form teacher for 4 years, and while he might not have been the first on the invite list for the Hunt Ball, he certainly did a good job for 2B-5B, 1961-965. What great start to the week it was to hear him say,'Brimey rad,'if you handed your maths in ontime.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) tennanthoward@hotmail.com

What other places are there?