KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Sad news about Arthur Watthey

I was deeply saddened to hear that Joe has passed away.
Though I know there are dissenters in this column, I believe he was good for me, good for the school,good for many others, and good for Keighley.
It was wonderful that he managed to post us a message in what turned out to be the last weeks of his life.
My deepest sympathy to Peter and all the family on their sad loss.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Current location (optional) www.whitesea.co.uk

Re: Re: Sad news about Arthur Watthey

I echo Brian's sentiments and send my condolences to Peter and the family. The very fact that so many of us who were at the school during his time as Head have made something of our lives and that the experience of those years at KBGS have remained with us for the most part as a happy and positive memory is due in no small part to Arthur Watthey. He was a human being like us all; not a saint (except in the strict sense in which that term is used by Christians - in which sense he was) but I have no doubt that I for one would be all the poorer had I not been part of what Arthur created. It was good to see him enjoying the amber nectar and I am glad that he took the trouble to make contact. May he rest in peace.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) gwalker@diocant.org

What is particularly sad is that we should lose Arthur 'Joe' Watthey just at the moment we have made contact with him. Given the opportunity, he might have revealed a few secrets about the school and the staff which had hitherto remained embargoed. A great pity.

When AEW came into the classroom to teach us first form French he was, give or take a few months, twenty years younger than I am now! I feel to have lost an important link to my past and, like Craig, was looking forward to further contributions from him. As mentioned elsewhere on this site, I had particular reason to be grateful for the way he intervened to secure a university place for me. And whilst, like many others, I'd gone through school feeling a mix of fear, awe, admiration and respect for him, I'll finally remember him as someone who was ultimately understanding, helpful and loyal.

I'm sorry to hear of AEW's demise and send condolences to Peter and all the family. He was OK to me,but when I failed my ) levels and I had to see him, he rang careers and said "We've got a right one here". Still I got a job at a Solicitors and spent all my life in the law.
To change the subject, I was a victim of the ball blackening in 1959. It never scarred me either, but the next night it was someone elses turn and he screamed blue murder. As a result we had to run round the field in our pyjama's - I'm still picking thistle thorns out of my feet now!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) michael.maude@ntl.world.com

I echo the sentiments of Craig Darroch - after all these years we make contact with Joe only for him to be taken away.
Rest in Peace Joe!!

Trevor Pickles

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) tpdesign@primus.com.au

Current location (optional) www.studiofour.com.au

Any news of the funeral. I am sure the great man got a suitable send-off.