KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Miss Evans and the Swingin' Sixties

Do you really know Jonah, or is it just a try on? How about she initiated those KBGS/KGGS mixed dances which were so painfully embarassing to those of us foolish enough to think we might be in for a treat!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) gwalker@diocant.org

I was just guessing about miss Evans testifying. It appears that Terry is correct as usual.
I had an ulterior motive in writing...I was hoping to steer the discussion into something interesting like sex, or hopefully, get some bluenose frothing at the mouth. Oh well.........

Well, I thought Bernie had won the coconut. At least that was the answer I had in mind - that it was Miss Evans who testified at the Lady Chatterly trial. But I bet Terry's right, in which case the whole question becomes redundant and Beryl Jones (no relation)gets the credit...I'll check with my sister one of these days and rehabilitate Miss Evans if required!

Terry was right!Again!! But as soon as he said it, I knew that the name Miss Jones rang an instant Beryl. Having checked it out with my sister (who's even older and more forgetful than I am)it emerges that there were two Miss Joneses, Beryl and Peggy, both in their fifties and both extremely Welsh. Peggy it was who taught English. Beryl, champion of English literature at the time, taught Latin. As a mark of gratitude for Beryl's performance in court, Penguin books arrived in Keighley and mounted an educational dsplay of their wares at KGGS. To the eternal chagrin of the Greenhead Gels, the display lacked a copy of the book in question. So - the correct answer to the quiz question turns out to be: Miss Evans' contribution to the swinging sixties was that she employed the sisters Jones, one of whom testified at the Lady C trial. And as I somehow seem to be the only one who, with this posting, has got it exactly right, I hereby award myself the Brian Craven memorial prize of a yard of Guinness. Thanks to all who competed and bad luck! Mmmmmnnn, this Guinness is good....

I believe "Lady Chatterley's Lover" had been in circulation (amongst the better classes) in hard back - probably printed on the Continent and without there being any prosecutions. Where Penguin crossed the line was that they published it in paper back at a price the ordinary person could afford.
You can read it on line at www.bibliomania.com but before you download a hard copy you should be mindful of the caution made at the trial by the prosecuting counsel Griffiths-Jones "Ask yourselves the question: would you approve of your young sons, young daughters - because girls can read as well as boys - reading this book. Is it a book that you would have lying around the house? Is it a book you would wish your wife or servants to read?"
Clearly Miss Evans did not mind her gels or her servants reading the book or ahe would not have given Miss Jones time-off to be a witness for the defence. Or maybe she just wanted to get her hands on Miss Jones' copy. (The "F" word was used more than 30 times)

Re: Re: Miss Evans and the Swingin' Sixties

Just came across this quote on a website - "The case was given enormous prominence in Keighley, because a Classics and English mistress at
Keighley Girls' Grammar School, Miss S. Beryl Jones, appeared at the Old Bailey trial as a witness
for the defence of Penguin Books Ltd. Naturally her evidence supported the literary merits of the
book, but when questioned about its inclusion of four-letter words she stated that most of the girls at
her school had "been acquainted with these words by the time they were ten." It must seem
impossible to appreciate nowadays the sensation which this caused in a mainly Nonconformist town
of generally strait-laced views. The Keighley Town Council reacted by questioning the terms of
Miss Jones's leave of absence, but fortunately she had gone to London strictly in her own time and as
a private individual, albeit her role as an English teacher gave her an added authority."

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re: Re: Miss Evans and the Swingin' Sixties

She seems like a brave and intellectual woman. As opposed to some of the KBGS English teachers who were simple bullying twats. And got away with it.