KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Eric Riley

Presume we are talking Eddie Current here. Wilf Lee said that he virtually lived in a pub in Sutton where he consumed great quantities of ale. Which is no doubt why he was always so bad tempered. Not much difference bewteen him and Cronshaw in my opinion.

Most acids would actually also dissolve the marble table! The standard way to lab prepare Carbon Dioxide was with Hydrochloric Acid and Marble Chips!
Remember you used to bubble the CO2 into lime water (Calcium Hydroxide) so it turned milky as a test for CO2.

Re: Re: Eric Riley

Nothing good to say about the man. First class a---h--e! Cheers, Steve

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) thesteve2@blueyonder.co.uk

Current location (optional) You do not want to know!?

Eddie Current taught me Biology and he wasn't too bad at it, though I think he was rather lacking in confidence in his ability to 'hold' a class and this came out as aggression.
He was pretty shortsighted too (thank goodness).
A number of us used to hold maggot races in lessons on occasions, with odds layed on the maggots and someone scting as bookie, and he never spotted the race meetings - I never made much profit on it though.

A Peter Fonth over at the guestbook says Eddie Riley died at a young age. Was it alcoholic excess I wonder?

Re: Re: Eric Riley

Pleased to hear it !!!!!!!!

He died from a combination of being a diabetic and a git.

How do you know IW? When's the boy Whammo going to post summat on this forum.

How do I know? Total recall. I'll mention the site to Bill next time I see him. Suppin' in Cobbydale tomorrow, so better than even chance.

BTW, Craig N Darroch, where did you get your name from? Scots Gaelic for Hill of Oaks, and I should know. . .

What's the Cobbydale then? Aye lad, Craig N. Darroch is a bonny place alright, but also a piped March popularised by the Gordon Highlanders. I have always thought it would make a great name for a house. I think its mentioned in 'The Piper Played at Dawn' by George MacDonald Fraser.

Hoots Mon! Cobbydale is the local name for Silsden. I was brought up in a hoose called Craig en Darroch. Has an oak tree in the garden purloined, so legend has it, from Balmoral.

Och, your lucky your predeccessors did nae end up in the Balmoral cop shop for such a heinous offence. Removing flora and fauna from the Royal Estates carries the most severe penalties. Cobbydale's finest: Trevor Hockey, Arthur Lampkin and King Ben. Which of course brings us neatly to the fact that the former Welsh soccer Captain Hockey died while playing five-a-side on the KBGS/Oakbank tennis courts at Oakworth. However, not much sympathy for him, as he once brutally tackled me from behind down on the Marley pitches when he played for Magnet and I for the opposition in about 1980.

Trevor Hockey? Not a Silsden lad, but he briefly (and unsuccessfully) owned a corner shop in the village before becoming landlord of that fine pub,the Rodney.

Trevor Hockey

If my memory serves me well, and it sometimes does, 'The Rodney'public House' in central Keighley had more fights during the brief tenure of Trevor Hockney than at any time before or since. It was Saturday night at the Dodge City saloon nearly every night for him and his support staff. Laying down the law 'Silsden style' led to some very adverse reactions for Mr Hockey -- and I believe he ended up in a sorry state at the casualty department of Airedale Hospital on more than one occasion!

I remember seeing Enoch and his son in The Dog and Gun about 20 years ago. I made myself known to him. He was drinking pints. He said he was a diabetic and if he had more than he should have of the lotion he mucked about with his medication.Soon after that his death was reported in the K.N.I think he lived up the "Ellers," in Sutton.Still gave me the "sh`s as I talked to him!!The lamp inspector!!

Re: The Lord Rodney

Ah! The Lord Rodney. Young drinkers' haven in the big room, ne'er do wells in the tap 'oil, one of whom was a hunchback called Colin, whose nose used to run into the glass at roughly the same rate as he used to drink. That would make an interesting maths question on the lines of "if a bath fills with water etc etc ". Never saw him finish a pint. Or buy one.

Eyup pupils of kbgs,
You seem to have lost the thread.
The Lord Rodney is a pub!Who gives a sh*t.
What we are talking about is arseholes!
In particular, A certain Mr. Riley.
Any former pupil have anything good to say about it, er, him?
Cheers,
Steve.....

Thinking of young drinkers in the Rodney pub, I reckon the old KBGS lads started their drinking careers as early as 14/15 in some cases. Modern police crackdowns seemed to have curbed underaged drinking in pubs compared 60s and 70s. Mind you would have thought Keighley and Bingley landlords would have thought summat amiss when a group of lads in garish green and white striped blazers stealthily slid into their establishments. Then of course Gilbert Swift introduced the rugby teams to underaged drinking from their first away fixture.

I can vouch first hand as to the underage drinking whilst under the care of Gilbert. The annual trip to Blackpool Grammar back in the late sixties (69 I think) seemed to consist of the game, tea and cakes, a pub crawl along the front for what seemed hours, a long trip home with a few quick stops for a piss and chunder (I've been too long in Aussie to remember what the Yorkshire slang is for being sick) and me just a 4th former what's that 15 years of age, then again no harms been done. Sad to hear about Trevor Hockey, I grew up with the family up Ingrow way, Broomhill Walk or Way?, his father was a former boxer I believe which may explain his customer service approach with the punters and as for Mr Riley @#%$%#$%^

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) lynnandbrian@optusnet.com.au

With reference to Trevor Hockey he was one of 3 brothers born and bred in Bradford St.The youngest brother was killed in a car accident and the older brother Alan was a successful local footballer for many years.Their father Albert originally came to Keighley from Wales to play Rugby League.

Where in Aussie, Scully? I remember your name but not your face. Can you remember the other rugby names in your team. And what was the name of that public school in Harrogate that KBGS used to annihilate. I bet the Oakbank GS fixture list bears no resemblance to the old KBGS one. In fact, does Oakbank GS still play rugby?

Along with his brother, Alan, we used to take Trevor to school. We all lived in Bradford Street and were transfered to Parkwood School under a reorganisation. He was a couple of years younger than Alan and me. He usually had a tennis ball with him which he would kick and dribble all the way across Bfd Rd, over Station Bridge, down Low Mill Ln and over the beck upto Parkwood St and defy us to take it off him. Alan had the only answer which was to smash him against the wall and run off with it before he could pick himself up. Their dad had been a RU player in Monmouthshire and came north to play league. The last time I saw Trev was one Sunday dinner in the Shoulder of Mutton in Thwaites. He greeted me with "F***ing 'ell - Terry Marston - hey do you remember......." Everybody remembers what they did as a kid.

Scully,

Are you that nice tall lad with ginger hair who used to play soccer with the group of us at breaks?

Seem to remember Eddie took a "shine" to you because of your hair.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Keith_Bowen@btinternet.com

The school in Harrogate that Craig refers to was Ashville College. It was a private school partially funded by the Methodist Church.