KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Harry 'Blink' Milton

Yes, it was Year 2 when "Blink" taught us French. (We'd had Fred Catley in 1C). "The Clarendon French Course" (all 5 years thereof), to which Brian Moate refers and of which Harry himself was so proud, was unceremoniously dumped almost before he'd had time to clear his desk for retirement. I guess it, also, was well past its sell-by date in 1962.

He was always Harry Blinks to us - and so he should be if the verb is to agree with the subject. He would blink more frequently when he was rebuking a pupil or when he was telling some preposterously boastful story from his armoury of self-promoting tales.
The Clarendon French Course was written (according to the cover) by "Milton and Fox". It was terribly non-you if your copy had not been changed to read "Milton the Fox".
I avoided his clutches until the Lower 6th, the year he became deputy head. He would turn up for the last 10 minutes of the lesson, spin a yarn and occasionally set some homework.

Recollections of Harry Milton who taught me French 1941 to 1948 are now totally good. At the time I thought it a little remiss of him that he only taught the set books he liked personally and others -- well you could read them yourself! Now I think this was rather good since it did force us to fend for ourselves.I suspect though that it was no elaborate plan but just because he was a bit lazy or at least preoccupied with other things. He was a character and always could be persuaded to tell us a story rather than teach French. Nowadays he would probably be hauled up before someone or other for such behaviour -- I know this from a teacher who taught the grandson of a friend of mine in the same way and was accused of " deliberate deception and dereliction of care". My God if the powers that be , or were there any "powers that be" in those days (?), had known about Harry he would have been in for it.Still he must have done something right since I still speak passable French and can think I am quite good after a glass or two or three of the local wine.I also have a great love of France, French literature and culture and he started this.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) tomtpunt@aol.com

Current location (optional) hometown.aol.com/tomtpunt/myhomepage/profile.html

He was definitely Harry Blinks - how could anyone forget the 's'.
In the first lesson from Harry younger pupils were often treated to a double act that he performed with David Jeanes, who was one of the older students. Jeano pretended to be terrified of Harry and we were all supposed to form the idea that we should be too so that there would be no misbehaviour - I don't think anyone was taken in.