KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Prefects

I can remember O`Brian and Halliwell. Prefects with a capital P!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) john@jfackroyd.fslife.co.uk

Current location (optional) KBGS

I think they were Old Nick's and Watthey's gauleiters who reported those who threatened the stability of the Reich to the SS Wiffenwaffen band, recognisable by their trailing black overgowns, frayed, worn and chalk-stained like those who wore them.

I was a Prefect for a couple of terms.
We had some limited disciplinary powers. We could give out 'lines' or put someone in Prefects Detention which was 30 min long instead of the Masters detention which was I think 45 mins.
I recall my main victim was Wilf Lee. I 'did' him twice, for a) smoking on the school bus and b) riding his cycle pell mell down the bottom path at Oakbank.
Whilst in Prefects detention for offence a) above, I made him write an essay on 'The consumption of the deadly weed is both irreligious and a bane to mankind'
Anyone put into Prefects detention who did not turn up was taken to 'Joe' who usually got his cane out.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

This was a status I never achieved, despite staying on for a 3rd year in the 6th Form (following the somewhat abortive 4X(press?) O-level experiment in 1962). I think I'd made it pretty clear that my aspirations didn't lie in that direction, and Joe didn't need to be over-astute to read the signs!
I pride myself that, after 32 years of teaching and only about 3 from retirement, my Bolshie attitude to "authority" remains largely undiminished. Needless to say, on reading Terry's description of the role, I wish I'd come up with that myself!

It wasn!t the prefects that were the problem, it was those horrible sub-prefects who thought they owned the school.
I once had to write lines for one of them that said "I must not be cheeky and insubordinate to the sub-prefects who are my superiors"!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Davchris@n3946.freeserve.co.uk

David's recollections are interesting ....Under Hind there were 8 prefects and a number (4 I think) of sub-prefects who did the donkey work in the yard and in the black hole. Watthey augmented the prefects to 15 in his first year as head - with no sub-prefects... so maybe I wasn't a Watthey prefect after all but an augmented sub-prefect. I wondered how it was I got such preferment after 2 years of refusing to play rugby for a school team so I could pursue a "career" as a dance band drummer. I must have slipped in the back door.

In answer to David's original question .....
The fact that I only remembered that there were prefects when I read your item shows that there was no reason for them at all ..... still can't recall who any of them were.

O'Brien was usually called puff O'Brien for some reason and I seem to remember him BEING IN the school play one year.Macbeth I believe.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) ray.land@lineone.net