KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Cross Country

Unlike Geoff Theasby, the rest of us had no bolt hole when we were supposed to be running to that tower thing on top of the hill. The run itself was irritating enough, but what capped it was that someone (I think it was Gilbert) used to drive up there and check that we all did the full route and then go back to school and be thoroughly unpleasant to the last few to get back. When it was particularly cold, a small group of us used to walk up there so that the checkpoint had to be manned in the freezing cold for as long as possible. We would then run all the way back overtaking enough of the other lads to ensure that we didn’t “get done”.

Does any Old Keighlian have any publishable recollections of the old official school cross-country race that began under the posts of the school rugby pitch at Lawkholme - then a circuit of the cricket ground and over the fence down to the meadows of the Aire - along to Utley and across Keighley Golf Course and the river - upto the Leeds-Liverpool Canal bank - heading towards Leeds until reaching the Grange housing estate - then down over Stockbridge and back onto the river bank as far as the Lawkholme (Cougar) complex - finishing with a sprint towards the Keighley C.C. pavilion. The first 6 home from each house counted in the team result. Every runner who completed the course in the "standard" time - earned a point for his house's total in the Athletic Shield. There were always girls from KGGS strategically situated en route where they thought they would get the best view of their favourite beau. Most had gone home by the time I ran through.

I think Terry has got the route more or less right. Certainly when I was Longden (!!) house secretary I remember getting involved in the organisation of same and being positioned at a level crossing at Utley, I think on the road that leads to the golf club. The purpose was twofold, one of safety, and second as a prevention measure for 'short cutters'. I never did the run though. That was in the era we had the previously mentioned Colin Kirkham.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

When the school moved to Oakbank didn't the cross country run become much less adventurous?
I think it simply became a very large number of circuits of the site. There were boggy bits and plenty of hills, but it wasn't the same.

Shaun, there was a route at Oakbank that led up Occupation Lane and over Branshaw Golf Course to Slaymaker Lane, but then the return route was back down Slaymaker to Oakworth Rd, not exactly Cross Country. There was however a 'short cut' that some of us knew who were members of Knowle Park Cricket Club. You could cut through the cricket ground, across a field and come out near the Golf Club House, and thence on to Oakworth Rd.