KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Prut (Kenny Preston)

It always puzzled me. Why “Prut”?

Kenneth Preston was a fine man, the only one of many masters in my day to inspire me. I felt I had personally let him down when I read History instead of English.I think we should all be less negative about men we didn't really know or understand

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) tomtpunt@aol.com

I understand and agree with the generous sentiment which Tom expresses. That doesn't preclude our having differing views of an individual experienced and registered at different periods in his life. Opinions of Churchill (from his own party) differed greatly throughout his political career.

If Ken Preston inspired Tom, I am happy and we cannot dispute that. That Prut's style of pedagogy continued to develop and change to the point where it did anything but inspire is outside Tom's experience.That is not to diminish any of the achievements of the man at any stage of his career. He was perhaps in advance of his time - or possibly caught between 2 extremes. In the '50s, the days of payment by results were long past. The days of league tables were yet to come. Yet, Prut's one claim to recognition amongst lads taking GCE was that he got good results even though he minced them out of you. He used a perverse psychology of fear and aversion which didn't inspire. In my form's mock GCE exam, set and marked by Prut, only 2 "squeaked" a pass. Yet in the real event all but 2 passed. The modern term for the utilisation of his methods would be "overkill". There was no moderation. It was akin to choosing the colour for a model "T" Ford - take it or leave it.

Tom,
You must be trying to take the Mickey.
Preston was a little Hitler and a sadist. It seemed to me that he was a very unhappy individual who derived mean petty pleasures from bullying helpless kids. It is my opinion (judging from his purple and vein shot nose) that he was an alchoholic and being hung over certainly wouldn't help his disposition in the classroom.
Please, let's cut the "be kind and tolerant" crap. I didn't have to "know" him to peg him as a pendantic thug.
Tom, I don't know you either but you certainly don't appear to be someone I would like to know. Your pietism is sickening.

I have just read my latest post in the cold light of morning.
I must confess that I went a little bit overboard.
Tom, I sincerely want to apologise for attacking you. It was completely unwarranted.
Regarding K. Preston I want to stress that my comments reflect my opinion of him only. I can only say for certain that he caused me intense emotional distress and treated me most unfairly. I shouldn't assume that anyone else had the same unpleasant experiences with him, and consequently feels the same way about him. I want to retract my comments and in future keep my bile to myself.
I extend my apologies to anyone else who may have been offended by my post.
Sincerely, Bernard Johnson.

Unusually, a thought has occured to me.

My father won a scholarship to KBGS around 1922. This was more than passing the entrance exam, when school fees were normally funded by one's parents. My grandparents didn't have the income to pay for his grammar school education. His fees were paid by the body that awarded his scholarship - rather like the bursary that Chris Firth's dad was awarded.

Before the Butler Act (Education 1944) whose implementation was part of the post war Labour reforms, children were entitled to only elementary education. As the Act came gradually in to force (in Keighley according to my experience after 1947)more and more free 11 plus (non-fee paying) pupils would have entered the Keighley Grammar Schools and have worked a significant change on the school populations. The nature of the school and the tenor of the classroom would have changed.(The school picture of 1946 has a different feel to that of 1954) And as with comprehensive education in the late '50s/'60s, no doubt many teachers accustomed to a more receptive middle class pupil became disgruntled with the rougher edged working class kids that passed the 11+ or gained admission to the Comp.

Does this account for the different perspective that Tom had of Kenneth Preston and we had of Prut? Or that Kenneth Preston had of him or Prut had of us?

Of course I agree that different people have different experience of teachers. I wouldn't like Bernard Johnson to think that I didn't dislike certain teachers myself. There were a few I have less than kindly thoughts of but, at this distance, fifty-six years after I left the school I would think it useless to name them, at least in a public forum to which anyone browsing the web has access. Maybe their children, grandchildren or even great grandchildren visit this site. It isn't a 'goody-goody'attitude Bernard and I fully accept that you didn't mean it. Maybe we can meet some day.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) tomtpunt@aol.com

But why was he called "Prut"?

Re: Re: Prut (Kenny Preston)

The river that forms the boundary between Moldova and Romania is called the River Prut. I guess none of our contributors are old enough to know why Kenny was so named.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

I never had Prut at school, but Alan Britten did, so I lived in fear of him by proxy....my only direct memory of him is of a man riding his bicycle slowly but determinedly in the direction of advanced old age...

He took me for English Lang. and Lit. Prut, gown billowing behind him,strode corridors like some bat- winged demi-god, a stack of exercise books under one arm.
He gave me Old John of Gaunt, Michael,Christobel and Tam.
His eldritch screech of ‘Wow!’froze boys classrooms away.
He marked assiduously,never frightened me,gave me a love of poetry that has been with me all my life. A whole school lecture on Julius Caesar, entranced me and I have never had a better explanation of Mark Antony's speech. He was never to me or to anyone I knew in my memory or to my witness a bully. Never!

Prut was a bully!
In one class he was trying to teach me what a syllable was. He kept repeating the sentence 'how ma ny sy lla bles in this sen tence'. And with each syllable he brought his knuckles down on top of my head. If I remember correctly it was only when a classmate mouthed the correct number to me that I managed to end the torture! It would have amounted to 30 or 40 strikes to the head at least, and if that's not bullying I don't know what is.
My head was very sore for quite some time.

I can support the reliability of Trevor's account by relating an incident where KP (which has other connotations in the world of snacks) was attempting to teach to 5a (56-57) the finer points of poesy through the medium of our set poems for GCE. Using the cranium of Robert (Bob Smudger) Smiff and the opening line of Dante Gabriel Rossetti's "The Honeysuckle" ("I plucked a honeysuckle, where"), to teach the intricacies of the metre of the iambic foot, KP proceeded to beat out that rhythm on Bob's skull. Being aware, as I was, (as a drummer with prospects,) of the syncopated rhythm of the Iamb (and of its potential future relevance to Rock'n'Roll), I found it easy to count the feet/bars of the line - but like some energised Gene Krupa, KP repeatedly hammered out the rhythm on Bob's head whilst incanting the opening line rendered meaningless by being plucked from its context.
"Bullying" - I don't know - that implies some personal gratification. "Instructive" - possibly - with the French Foreign Legion. "Educative" - not at all - as Bob only got the right answer through a series of erratic guesses to bring the "torture" and embarrassment to a closure.
I am genuinely glad for what KP did for Arthur, giving him a life-long love of poetry.HE didn't do that for me - rather he inculcated an approach to literature that I recently heard denigrated (on Radio4 in a program(me)which challenged the currently recognised academic study of literature in all its forms) as an exercise in literary criticism - "the currency of the chattering classes".
I would hark back to some views that I have expressed elsewhere on this site - that KP (like us all) was an evolving personality (and teacher) - and it seems relevant to a proper understanding of his work that his earlier influence and later effect can be explained by this undeniable life-truth. (cf: the life and works of Wm Wordsworth.)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I think Prut must have mellowed a bit by the time I had him, I cannot remember much corporal punishment, I do remember him describing a mirage he saw whilst cycling to work on a hot day. How there appeared to be a pool of water on the road ahead of him. I have seen this same mirage so many times whilst driving around Australia, each time I see it, I think of Prut.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Why 'Prut'?
Could it be shorthand for Preston from Utley?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Prut?..Prat would have been better. There is no doubt the man was a bully, as Bernard Johnson and D. Pickles
so rightly say. I know this from his humiliating of me in front of my peers in the Mechanics hall at school dinners. I was 11 years old at the time and have never forgotten it. Being a bully does not make a good teacher.
Another "non-teacher" was Paul Greenwood. I have loved music all my life, but never learned anything about music from him.
Another one?---Gilbert Swift. I hated cricket and one season I missed every lesson.("twagged it")
On my report he wrote "Much improved, a promising batsman." !!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) Keighley

I haven't said he was a bully have I? That was Trevor - no relation that I know of! I did have the doubtful honour of being in Prut's class for one term when I was killing time in the lower sixth prior to leaving to earn a shilling or two. He never bullied me, but I think he must have enjoyed my company because whenever he handed back a paper he'd marked he used to invite me to 'Bring your tea tonight Pickles'. I then usually spent an extra hour or so at school in 'unofficial' detention.
Perhaps it might have been 15 years after I'd left school, I was driving through Utley on my way to visit my parents and I saw Prut in his garden. Don't know what made me do it, but I stopped and went and had a word with the old chap. I suppose I wanted to show him that I hadn't gone completely to the dogs as a result of my inability to get a reaonable mark in English. He remembered me and seemed genuinely pleased to see me. I was invited in for a cup of tea and he chatted for a while about his family - I think that he had a son who was a tax inspector. Not all bad was he?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Sorry Denis....got myself in a pickle there!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) Keighley

I always wondered why Gilbert called me Atkinson in the lower school.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I never realised that Prut was an old boy until I came across this entry in the School Magazine December 1927.

We have to welcome as our new master Mr. Preston, an Old oy of the School, we extend to him a happy welcome and may his stay be as long and as successful as that of his predecessor.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50