KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Allocation to Houses

Brian Craven refers to the short-lived and utterly valueless weekly House tutorial which came in early in Joe's reign and petered out after a couple of years. If it was about pastoral guidance I never recall receiving any! Maybe the House tutorial was a latter-day example of the schizophrenia of a system which wasn't sure whether it was meant to be elitist (we used the Public School Hymn Book in assembly for years) or egalitarian, after all, most of us came from working class homes (was there much else in Keighley in those days?!.

By the time I'd left in 1967 the House system was dead in the water and felt like a hang-over from a byegone age. I bet it was revived though once the school went comp!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) gwalker@diocant.org

Re: Allocation to Houses

Yes Geoff the house system is alive at Oakbank and the house names are:-
Ashe - Red
Glennie - Blue
Keller - Yellow
Shackleton - Green
Does anyone know the relevance of these names?
By the way I always thought it was Longsden. I was in Barrett as was my brother and father before me.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) d.r.boddy@btinternet.com

Re: Re: Allocation to Houses

I remember Colin Kirkham well, he lived near the bottom of Lawnswood Road where I lived and we used to walk to and from school together. He was an exceptional athlete, anybody know what happened to him?
I recalled the House name as Lonsdale but I've already been corrected in a previous entry. I also recall that, among the lads at least, there was a definite hierarchy, 'best to worst'; Brigg, Barrett, Longden and Smith (of course I was in Smith!)

tp

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) tpdesign@primus.com.au

Current location (optional) www.studiofour.com.au

No I am absolutly certain it was Longden. As I said I was House Secretary. Stoker indeed was the House Master.
I think Longden was an old Keighley family name, there were certainly some people of that name in Grafton Rd, just round the corner from the aforementioned Colin Kirkham, and just down from Jack Emmotts grocery shop on the corner with Upper Hird Street (Often called Selbourne Grove, but hat was actually the back road, just a track along the side of Lund Park. Brian Shuttleworth (Our year) lived at the very end house, Bernard Tennant and Alan Spencer (also our year) further down. Brian S was in Longden, Bernard in Barrett and Alan in Smith. Among other mates, Jim Hall was Brigg, and John Bracewell Barrett. I cant remember your house Shaun.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

I always thought it was "Longsden". I am prepared to be shown the error of my thinking but I would like more proof than Brian's opinion. The name flows so much more smoothly with an "s" than without.
I was in Longsden (sic) house and I always thought the colour combination of purple and green looked rather elegant. Briggs I thought looked a little gauche, Barrett was reminiscent of premature Christmas decorations, and Smith was downright offensive.
Having aired my opinion on the colours, I would like to say that the whole idea of "houses" was quite childish, and a pathetic attempt to emulate the public school model, and distance the school from the presumed lower class schools in the town.

It was Longsden for sure! Not Longden, nor even Longsdon. Longsden - simple as that! Let's ask Robert Gallagher and Alan Britten (who's recently resurfaced after being Lord Lucan's butler for many years)- they were both in Longsden too, as far as I can picture the colour of their blazer badges forty-odd years ago...

Yes you are right Allan I was in Longsden nice to know that Brian is human after all!!!!

My vote goes to Longsden too. I'm certain that's what it was called. I could never work out the purpose of having houses though.
I was a little puzzled when I read Geoff Walker's posting until I re-read it and realised that he was talking about the school going 'COMP' when I had initially read it as 'CAMP'.

I was Longsden House Captain in my last 2 years. But that doesn't mean my memory is any better than anyone else's. I have, however, to agree with Bernard's recollection - we were both in Longsden and in the same form.

In my last year Longsden won the House Shield - which was presented to the House with the highest aggregate of points in the competitions for Rugby, Cross Country, Cricket and Athletics - and I think it included the points for the Proctor Cup which was presented to the House with the best record for conduct - usually Smith House. I remember Don Chadwick collecting the Shield for Longsden around 1956. So we won it twice in my 8 years - not a bad average for one House among four.

I disagree with Bernard's comments about the other schools in town - for Eastwood had a similar House competition with Houses named Norman, Roman, Saxon and the fourth escapes me. Possibly the other Sec Mods did too.

I dont care how many of you think it was Longsden, nothing will deter me from insisting it was Longden!
So there!!
Where can we settle this with some proof?

Re: Allocation to Houses - proof

I'm pretty sure the old Keighlian magazines (now all at Keighley library) have references to the houses. I remember reading it in a sports day report or something. That would provide proof!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) cpfirth@singnet.com.sg

Why should we take the trouble to prove you wrong? I am perfectly happy knowing that I am right. That you are comfortable being wrong is just fine by me also.

Do we accept LM (Stoker) Stockdale as an arbiter in this dis-understanding?

He adds another dimension to the dispute.

I have it in his own write (and signed)on my leaving report "the outstanding success of Longsdon (sic) House this year".......

Get out of that (me included) if you can!!

3 Cheers for Stoker! He never got much wrong, and he's the only one (so far) to support my recollection.

Stocker cuddent spel !!

O yes E cud (speshly owt tadoo wi kemistri or Longsdon Ows)!

Sorry I cant accept that, I was house Secretary and am still absolutely sure it was Longden.I'll have a look in my own archives. I will go all humble if conclusively proved wrong.

Looks as though ‘Moatey’ might have caused mayhem during his term of office as ‘House Secretary’ by his misspelling of the House name!

Although an infrequent visitor to this site, I have just dug-out my copy of the ‘Christmas 1959’ edition of ‘The Keighlian’ which clearly states that the name is ‘LONGSDON’ – as a former member of 2L1 he will also be able to translate the House Motto – ‘Surge et Fulge’.

Like me, our House Motto was simple and in the ‘mother tongue’ - ‘God guard us’. Not that members of Brigg House needed to be guarded.

Sad to hear that Johnny Brigg is no longer with us.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) david.baldwin@maverickeurope.com

Current location (optional) ww.maverickeurope.com

Thank goodness for Dave Baldwin. It most certainly was "LONGSDON" house. As one who was a member of Barrett house I cannot be wrong. Incidentally going back to Terry's question about allocation, I remember sitting in the Hall waiting to be allocated and wasn't(although at the time I did not know what was actually going on. this was explained later). Because there hadn't been a "Dore2 before, I couldn't be allocated according to predecessors so I was one of a few left until last and was simply picked by the Housemaster of the time. (Could that possibly have been "Spike" Rannard?? Surely not!!)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) phildore@tinyworld.co.uk

Longsden. Elegant,rather tasteful colour scheme for the tie.

As a Barrett house lad I'll let you fight it out,but I do have a purple blazer badge in my possession,gift from a cousin who didn't want it.A couple of Stockdale recollections from about 1948."Poor old Johnny's dead and gone,his face you'll see no more.For what he thought was h2o,was h2so4"

and the other pearl of wisdom from Stoker was "when camping,never pitch your tent near a lime pit or you will wake in the morning and find yourself dead".
Even after all this time has elapsed I can hear him saying those gems,which I suppose demonstrates his ability to get through to young 2nd formers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) candbwalsh@xtra.co.nz

When I joined KBGS in September 1950,I hoped I would be in Barrett House,as they won most trophies in the 1940's.
However, no one with the name of Manley had ever attended the school,so I was not allocated a House on arrival.Those of us without a house were asked to attend a meeting on the second day,but only Housemasters Harry "Blinks" Milton from Brigg House and Arnold "Beaky" Birch from Longsdon House were present. We were asked questions like "Are you any good at cricket?" and then they chose which pupils they wanted in their House.
From 1950 to 1956 the House Trophy was won four times by Longsdon and twice by Brigg. Barrett and Smith Houses never won.

I always thought that I was in LONGSDON house, and agree with our Deputy House Master at the time L.M.
"Stoker" Stockdale on the spelling.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Davchris@n3946.freeserve.co.uk

I think Alan Britten was in Longden/Longsdon, what was the correct name Alan ?. I say Longden, but they are all ganging up against me and are saying its Longsdon. I'm still not comvinced.

When Alan Britten responds to Moatey, I for one hope that it will finally convince him that, for once in his life, he is wrong.

In my Summer 1966 copy of ‘The Keighlian’, A Britten was House Secretary and unless everyone else is wrong, apart from Brian, then I have to repeat that the name of his House was ‘LONGSDON'.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) david.baldwin@maverickeurope.com

Current location (optional) www.maverickeurope.com

Longsdon, if the Keighlian says so. I thought it was "en" at the end,but must have escaped the memory.Me? House secretary? That has to be a joke.But it's definitely spelt with an "s".

To settle the controversy over spelling.

Look at the foundation stone outside Keighley Library.

"This stone laid by Sir Swire Smith, August 9th 1902".

In the top left hand corner it says

"Borough of Keighley"

H.C.LONGSDON. J.P. Mayor.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Davchris@n3946.freeserve.co.uk

Thank you David Manley. We are forever in your debt. With a bit of luck Brian M had a bet with someone and he is in debt too.

You ought to know I was brought up a Methodist, and therefore dont bet!! But I have to concede I seem to be alone on this one.

Colin Kirkam represented the UK in the marathon in the Mexico Olympics. IIRC he had a case of Montezuma's revenge but kept right on running..........

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) bill@bracewel.demon.co.uk