KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Go home for a week!

Wow!
Brian's memory has failed him.
I was actually in form 4S1 and so I had a week at home. On the Sunday afternoon after the fire I was sitting doing some English homework when Alan Spencer arrived at my door to tell me that the school had burned down and we were off for a week. Thinking it was one of his wind-ups, I made him go with me to see the building there and then. English homework forgotten we had a very relaxed evening.

I heard the news of the fire on the BBC news on the Sunday evening whilst listening to my Bush transistor radio in my college "cell". I straightway dashed off to share the news with John Topham. For Old Keighlians, the breaking of the news must have had a similar effect as the news of the Kennedy assassination. Most remember where they were and how they heard it.Where were you when you heard the news that school had burnt down- if are bold enough to divulge?

Believe it or not I was in Sunday School (Lund Park Meths), together with Brian Shuttleworth and others, when I heard the news. I thought Alan Spencer was also there, maybe he legged it round to Shauns after Sunday School to tell him.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Where was I when I heard that the school had burnt down? In my bed, of course! It was Sunday morning after all, and - fortunately bereft of Sunday School affiliations - I had sussed at an early age where the best place was to be...Like others, I thought my dad was winding me up. He'd by then tried most ruses to get me from "sleeping my life away"! I just thought this was his latest attempt. To prove the point he took me down to the top of Highfield Lane, from which you could still see the odd plume of smoke rising. The clincher was when my watch turned eleven and the town hall clock remained silent. We then went down to take a closer look. I can't remember if it was then, or the next again morning, that I discovered that the extra week's holiday applied to all the fourth year classes except ours. Bad news at the time, this was (on reflection) good training for subsequent life in Scotland, where BBC announcers from London regularly hit us with things like:"And now on BBC 1, live sex from Wimbledon; except for viewers in Scotland who have a Gaelic church service from Stornoway...."