KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: School holidays 1 - Spain

I've uploaded 3 of them. What date are these?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) cpfirth@singnet.com.sg

Current location (optional) www.kbgs.com

Dates? I'm pretty sure the visit was in 1961. No doubt Brian Moate will know for sure.

Thanks for those Shaun. Yes, it would be summer of 1961, end of third year for us. I have more pics of this trip, but they are 35mm slides. That one of Jim and I, we could be criminals, especially Jim. (Understand Jim is about to retire early having been at Clitheroe G.S. all his working life). You and I certainly have pride of place in the 'departure photo', and I agree its Bradford Exchange railway station. We did the whole trip across France by rail, then flew over from Barcelona to Majorca.
I recall Bernard Tennant, you and I getting lost in Palma, and getting instructions for some Greek sailors.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Re: the photo of the group in Barcelona.
Help is needed to identify them all. So far I have got (from left to right):
1. Possibly Jim Hall
2. Rodney West
3. Chris Wilcox (I think that is the correct name)
4. David SomethingbeginningwithH
5. Robert Gallagher (I think)
6. Pete Binns
7. Howard Buckler

Is No 4 David Harding? Looks a bit like him though I dont recall him being on the trip.
Are you sure No 6 is Peter Binns, hes not as I remember him. You may be right that No 1 is Jim Hall, it s abit tlike the photo board at the beginning of 'A Question of Sport'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Above your left shoulder, Shaun, there's (I think) John Judson and John Denby. The tall guy standing five in from the left of the picture is (again, I think..)Mike Beresford? (who also features in the 1961 rugby photo). On the front row there's -as you've already pointed out- a selection of Guardhouse School alumni: Robert Gallagher in the centre, Eric Walton, third from left, and Peter Binns, extreme right.

Whilst we were in Barcelona there were two events which caused some consternation amongst the staff - particularly that fellow Jackson.
The first was when someone, after having sampled a little two much of Spain's liquid welcome, started to climb from balcony to balcony in the hotel [three or four floors up as I recall]. The police certainly visited but I never knew the outcome. Can anybody enlighten me as to the identity of the intoxicated spiderman?
The second was also an alcohol related incident. A sixth form student with glasses [can't remember his name] became three or four over the eight and walked down the Ramblas shouting "Franco to the gallows". Fortunately he chose to do it in French and it seemed that none of the Spenish police understood, or maybe the alcohol affected his pronunciation too much. Again, can anybody enlighten me as to the identity of the failed revolutionary?