KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: kbgs - the soundtrack

Allan certainly knows how to bait a line - though I can't imagine why he wanted to catch this fish. Taste and choice in music are imponderables. I think my biggest influence was my dad - (KBGS 1922-27) - who knew the songs his dad loved, loved his own preferences (of varied genres)- and sang the lot to me - which in turn I added to the earliest awareness I had of popular music - which started with "Sparrow in the Tree top" "Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer" and "I taut I taw a puddy tat". Thus - even at eleven, I had an acquaintance with songs and music spanning many decades and several genres. I had inherited a "catholic" taste in music. And glad I am for it!
While I was at KBGS (1952-60), I developed a lust for any instrumental jazz or swing music. Like all kids I became a "snob" - yet I liked nearly everything I heard - I just couldn't admit it without losing face. The Music Society (around 1953) had allowed 2 sixth formers, Pete Thompson and his mate, Heersum (?) to present an expose of Jazz. The old music room in the bowels of the Mechanics was bursting at the seams as we learnt about the story (and listened to the music) of American "negro"(sic) music. From then on - alongside contemporaries Joe (Bernard ) Johnson, Bob (Zog) Sugden Jezzie Howe and others in other years - I couldn't get enough of Jazz music - without turning my back altogether on the new styles that were beginning to emerge. (I played in a dance band from 1955-60 whose repertoire stretched from the Gay Gordons through Cole Porter to Bill Haley, Bobby Darin, Adam Faith .....)

So my response to Allan's original question is that it was Jazz from Jelly Roll Morton through Kenton to Getz that makes up my musical memories of KBGS.

I'm wondering if Allan's reason for singling me out for provocation is the fact that I proposed a motion at a meeting of The Literary and Debating Society in the old school library "That popular music ...." is basically crap. I took along some of my own and my sister's records and proceeded to dissect (even vivisect) Elvis, The Mudlarks et al. It was all in good fun. The motion was lost and for weeks kids came up to me and told me "You was wrong that's why you lost!" Were you one of them, Allan?

Great idea Allan; I can see this running for quite a while! Every era has its share of crap, undoubtedly - but always some good stuff, it has to be admitted.
I remember, about 1962, Dave Foulger (the inimitable "Dada") and I used to do a thing called Pop-Pools in NME where you had to predict the following week's position of currently charted singles and new releases. We actually won something, but only on one occasion!
You've listed some of the most significant rivalries among our generation - mainly friendly but not always. Is it purely out of kindness that you omit any reference to Cliff Richard and the fact that certain of our contemporaries rated him above Elvis? If so, you'll see I don't share your sympathy - they deserve exposing!
Who amongst you can remember from which Elvis single some of used to hum the introduction/chorus, and drive "Crud" mad?
That's one for the CD certainly, plus Neil Sedaka's "Happy Birthday Sweet 16", Buddy Holly's "Rave On" and Brenda Lee with "Speak To Me Pretty". Many others will no doubt follow.

Well despite being interested primarily in Classical music, I have to say Buddy Holly (Peggy Sue, Mailman bring me no more Blues, Everyday, Heartbeat) was a favourite of mine, and particularly popular with those of us who went to Lund Park Methodist Youth Club in the early 60's. But the Mersey sound with early Beatles, and Gerry and the Pacemakers were also popular. A bit later Beach Boys (Good Vibrations etc), Kinks, Swinging Blue Jeans, Manfred Mann, Roy Orbison (Pretty Woman etc), Brian Hyland (Sealed with a Kiss) were all blasted out at LPYC. Shaun Pye/John Ackroyd may remember some more from that time.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

A soundtrack! – O.K. Jonah, that really does get the grey cells going (what few there are left).
I recall being a fan of Eddie Cochrane, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Gene Vincent and Jackie Wilson before I left primary school – I even managed to buy a Holly LP soon after I started KBGS. It was in early 1959 of course, when we were in 1A in that annex, that Buddy Holly was killed. The mood was really sombre on the following morning at school. I was keen on Jerry Keller and Lloyd Price too, and one of the early favourites I recall at the Youth Club Brian Moate referred to was “Here Comes Summer.” by Keller.
There were other well played records by Sam Cooke, Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, Del Shannon, Neil Sedaka and the Shirelles, but the one from around 1960 that sticks in my mind most from the youth club was “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” by the Tokens because someone just kept playing it over and over again (I’m sure it couldn’t have been Brian).
We were then rapidly into British Rock/Blues, Phil Specter’s “Wall of Sound” groups and Bob Dylan – I must say that I shared Jonah’s preference for The Stones.
I was also a Blues and Jazz fan having seen Jesse Fuller and Dave Brubeck on TV, though I never took those records to parties.
For the CD though – my nomination would have to be a song by who knows who called “I’m ‘enery the Eighth I Am” because we used to derive such simple amusement from it by singing it endlessly on any trip led by Sam Riley, lingering over the line “She wouldn’t have a Willy or a Sam …. Not Sam”. I think he probably enjoyed it.

"A-La-Bamba" became a similar coach-trip favourite during a trip, accompanied by Mr.J.A.Bamber(chemistry), to Calder Hall.
I remember singing along to P.G.Spellar on his acoustic guitar, the title being greatly emphasised by the fact that no-one knew any of the other words!-I bet they still don't.(Go on then, prove me wrong!)

And "Que Sera, Sera" whatever Willbee, Willbee.
I can't recall what subject that little fellow Wilby used to teach. Was it Geography?

Yes, geography (also geology - hence his nickname "Rocks"). I think he came from Wakefield GS, around the same time as our contemporary J.D.Pike whom he recognised immediately the first lesson he took us. He replaced a guy called Willie Key as head of dept.

Yes, Geoga it was that Wilby taught. It was actually my best subject, even more so than Chemistry.
However I once wrote an essay in which I penned 'penisula' all the way through instead of 'peninsula' . He made me write it 100 X.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Well, Terry has spurred me into writing again. I have to say that the only thing I enjoyed about KBGS was the fact that there were a few people there who could appreciate quality music. At 12 years old I could whistle Armstrong's solo on "Drop That Sack" note for note and I didn't feel quite so isolated having people like Terry around. The first time I heard "Sophisticated Lady" it was played by Bob Sugden on his tenor sax. John Topham played guitar, Jezzie Howe banjo. Terry played drums and introduced me to "Skin Deep". Older guys there were Eric Wright (double bass), David Copperweight (trumpet), Pete Cridland (drums), Ken Turner (clarinet).
There was some reasonably good popular music at that time also. I suggest that Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" was the first (and so far the best)true rock and roll recording. (The use of rim shots on the 2 and 4 beat just blew me away)and the guitar solo was inspired. I sat spellbound in the Ritz watching the movie!
There was a goodly amount of crap being churned out at that time, just as there always has been. Think Doris Day, Perry Como, Johhny Ray, and crap incarnate, Tommy Steele!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) dim_9th@yahoo.com

Re: Re: kbgs - the soundtrack

Travellin Light, Take Good Care of My Baby, Swiss Maid,Last Train to San Fernando, Family Favourites, It's Now or Never.................and Ginny come Lately.....

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Trust AB to remember Johnny Duncan and the Bluegrass Boys! Nobody else does. I still possess the 78 somewhere in the attic.

I remember Buddy Holly causing confusion with me by introducing strings on Rainin in My Heart. And people just go on about Dylan going electric!! Buddy went orchestral for goodness sake.

Trad jazz would certainly be part of the soundtrack..Acker Bilk ( anagram?) Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen.

Alma Cogan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!But don't recall any song title by her, unsurprisingly. Ella Fitzgerald,Sarah Vaughan, Peggy Lee........

In the late 50s, there was a Musician's Union ban on US musicians appearing in the UK. (I think it was reciprocal). However, Norman Granz, an American promoter, managed to negotiate some exchanges - one of which resulted in Ted Heath's concert at the NY Carnegie Hall and the arrival of a troup of US musicians dubbed "Jazz at the Philharmonic" to tour the UK. In the autumn of '57, I had the memorable experience of seeing Ella, Getz, Gillespie, Hawkins et al at the Leeds Grand. The atmosphere was magical - it was a jazz fan's nirvana although I didn't know what that meant. I failed miserably to explain the experience to Sam Riley as it happened to be my turn to address the form in form period the following week.I recall using the term "cool" many times although I don't know what that means in today's parlance.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I remember at Lund Park Y.C. in the early sixties Katherine Binns. The girl who married Jim Hall illustrious KBGS Oxbridge student listening for hours to Billy Fury's smash hit" Half way to Paradise".

Also, Brian Shuttleworth, a KBGS pupil, and I dressed up as the Supremes and sang Baby Love at a concert. We went down a storm but Mrs. Shuttleworth was not amused!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

Must have been something to see Ella etc. Halfway to Paradise, great stuff. I have to correct myself : It doesn't Matter Anymore by Buddy had strings; rather was it the combination of ballad and strings that shot me down in Rainin in My Heart.Allan was already into Big Bill Broonzy at school, as was I, though to a lesser extent. Three Steps to Heaven, another song from that time, caused a bit of a stir; banned even?

Eddie Cochrane was an underrated rock genius with a fine take on jazz guitar, as well as the three chord trick, viz "Long Lonely Street". And the riff on Summertime Blues/ C'mon Everybody is a timeless classic, every bit as funky as the Bo Diddley signature lick. Do they make them like that any more?? But, as I was reminded by watching a TV documentary on Matt Munro the other night (telly was crap) - it wasn't all fun! My list of most hated from those days would include: Michael Holliday, Alma Cogan (even if she did sew on all her own sequins), Dickie Valentine, Frank bleedin' Ifield, Tennessee Ernie Ford (apart from Sixteen Tons, which Broonzy also did a version of), and Matt Munro (though that said, I began to appreciate his voice, if not his taste in songs, a bit more after seeing that documentary the other night). And not to miss out anything by Tommy Steele. There were also a whole bunch of teen flicks that used to play in the cinemas and peddled an anodised version of popular music that bore no resemblance to anyhting you would go out and by. Anybody remember a flick called 'Some People' starring Kenneth More as the 'with it' dad who encouraged his daughter to hang out with a bunch of'delinquents' in the certain and sure expectation that the kids would 'come good' when exposed to a bit of middle class tolerance? The soundtrack sucked. And I was disappointed to learn that Kenneth More really had legs!

Allan, how could anyone list their top hates from that era, without including Jim Reeves and Andy Williams?
Both are high on my list anyway, and as bad as anything mentioned so far (even if neither were British!)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Brian, you're of course right to include the aforementioned. But then you forgot to mention (as did I) Denis Lotis and Satchmo (not for his pre-history, y'all unnerstand, but for his cheesey rendition of Wodda Wunnerful Worl')!

Sound of Distant Drums wasn't THAT bad. Add Running Bear to that.

And then there are some things which, looking back, were pretty bad - but which I remember having liked at the time: Sea of Heartbreak; It's My Party (And I'll Cry If I Want to); Palisades Park; Twist Twist, Senora; Good Timin'; and the unforgettable Joe Brown and the Bruvvers hit, Picture Of You....

How about "Michelle" by The Overlanders, with those cringe-making, soppy, school-French lyrics? Yuk then and still today!

Yes,Picture of You I liked then. I think there must have been plenty of good stuff around but me ears wouldn't or couldn't listen eg Angel of the Morning, which I think is a great song. I think it's of kbgs vintage. Some music also I would like now but dislike then. Sinatra for example. What was that awful drum song ?

Michelle? Agreed! now, eyes down for the Soundtrack Quiz....
1. Who presented Saturday Club?
2. What was the name of Don Lang's band?
3. What instrument did Don Lang play?
4. Who presented Six-Five Special?
5. Name three male singers who regularly appeared on Six-Five Special.
8.Who was the Shadows' drummer?
9.What was his solo hit?
10.Name three Radio Luxemburg deejays.
11. On Radio Luxemburg, what product did the Lonely Man advertise?
12. To get the Amazing Infra-Draw Method, who did you send your money to, and where?
13. Which rival publications published the Hit Parade on a weekly basis?
14. Who produced the singles of unforgettable hitsters like Heinz, John Leyton, and The Tornadoes?
15.What keyboard instrument featured on the Buddy Holly hit Everyday?

1. Pass
2. Pass.
3. sax
4. er….er….David Jacobs..nope
5. Tommy Steele, the one whose daughter is now turning to gardening,,Marty Wilde, Cliff Richard
8. Tony Sheahan?Meahan?
9. Pass
10. Tony Blackburn, the smoothie caddish one (Mike something?) and DJTravers
11. Fags
12. Pass
13.Musical Express and….pass
14. Martin?
15. Good question. Vibrophone?

Pathetic. I've failed miserably.

That was a tester Allan. Come on then let's have the answers. On the other hand I've a suspicion some one is going to get them all ( after much delving into the net).

And the smoothie dj was not a Mike someone it was Pete Murray!! Though not sure if he worked there.Trying to think of another dj who was around in the 60s, not Peele. Was big at the time, fell into drugs methinks and reappeared 25 years later on these Look at the 60s documentaries. WHAT was his name? Was whispering whatsisname on the go then?

Let's leave the answers for 24 hours or so....see if anyone can win tonight's star prize...?

or open the box? What should he do? Open the box? Board held up prompts audience Open the Box!

Bernard Johnson, you are responsible if Chris bars us all from the site for posting offensive material, but here goes:-
Selecting only from the time I was at KBGS [58-65] and then only from those who reached No. 1 we find the following dross.
Sandie Shaw, The Searchers, Cilla Black, Billy J. Kramer, Adam Faith, Anthony Newley, Perry Como, Peter and Gordon (oh, the thought of them) and Vic Damone ( at the time I really beleived that he was called Victor Moan, which would have been appropriate). But worst of all was the series of abominations from Elvis Presley including Crying in the Chapel and the truly dreadful Wooden Heart.
On a lighter note - a fwe answers to Allan's quiz.
2. Don Lang and the Frantic Five
8. Tony Meehan
9. Let There Be Drums (??) - and didn't he also record with Jet Harris [funny, you don't get many kids named Jet these days].
12. Horace Batchelor, Keynsham, Bristol
13. The New Musical Express and the Melody Maker. I recall that buying these was a fashion statement. I used to buy the NME though I no longer recall what the nature of the statement was.

Current location (optional) Leeds

Got to correct one of my previous answers to Allan's quiz - obvious when I thought about it - and try the rest.

1. Was it Lonnie Donnegan?
2. The Frantic Five
3. The saxophone, I think.
4. Pete Murray (and a friend says Jo Douglas too).
5. Tommy Steele, Lonnie Donnegan, Michael Holliday.
8. Tony Meehan.
9. I am told that the Tony Meehan Combo had a hit with Song of Mexico, though I've never heard of it. Tony Meehan and Jet Harris had No. 1 with Diamonds.
10. Jimmy Savile, Alan Freeman and, my favourite, Brian Matthew.
11, A guess - Strand cigarettes.
12. Horace Batchelor, Keynsham, Bristol.
13. NME and Melody Maker.
14. Was it Norrie Paramour?
15. I had thought it was the harpsichord but a friend tells me it was the celeste.

Did I miss questions 6 and 7?

Incidentally, Don Lang was originally from Halifax and was called Gordon Lang(t)horn.

How many did I get Al?

14. Just had an idea and checked an old video I have about the record producers of the era and, sure enough, it was Joe Meek.

Shaun - you're a bloody genius (almost). Alan, you just weren't paying attention at the time (but that said, you could probably set a pretty sticky cricket quiz)!!
My answers would be:
1. Brian Matthew
2. The Frantic Five
3. Trombone
4. Pete Murray, Jo Douglas, Freddie Mills
5. choose from (inter alia) Cliff Richard/Marty Wilde/Tommy Steele/Vince Eager/Wee Willie Harris/Billy Fury/Lonnie Donnegan/Michael bleedin' Holliday
ANYBODY NOTICE I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED QUESTIONS 6+7...APPARENTLY NOT, OR YOU WERE JUST BEING POLITE!
8.Tony Meehan
9. Diamonds (trick question - Jet Harris's name was also on the label, but TM produced....)
10.Go here for a full-ish list (though they miss out TTDC with Jimmy Savile)! - http://www.pjede.de/208/index_2.html
11. Strand cigarettes
12. Horace Bachelor - K-e-y-n-s-h-a-m, that's Keynsham, Bristol
13. NME and Melody Maker
14. Joe Meek
15. the celeste

Shaun - I'm afraid you didn't win the star prize of a weekend for two at Butlin's Filey. But no-one goes home empty-handed. So, please accept our consolation prize of a voucher for two weekends at Butlin's Filey...

As I said, I failed miserably.I'll put on Slow Boat to China, a true masterpiece. We were witnessing the birth of some great artists' careers, Frank Ifield and Frankie Avalon for example, not forgetting Jimmy Jame and the Vagabonds ( might have been later but the name came to me...great name)Shivers down my backbooooooooooooooooone..Come on Sean,admit it, Wooden Heart was a work of genius.

Remember Oh Boy - the TV show not the record? Probably played for about 18 months to two years. Can't recall who hosted it.

Alan. Did Eddie Cochrane record How Much Is That Doggie In The Window? Did Ian Dury record The Sound of Music? Did Frank Zappa record Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep? So why did Elvis record dross?

Beacause, thanks to 'Colonel' Tom Parker, Elvis was arguably the worst managed artist in pop history. Remember all those dire films?

The contrast between the MM and the NME as I recall is that the MM was read by musicians and the NME by teeny boppers who subscribed to the Hit Parade. The MM was a more journalistic newspaper which featured columns by the likes of Steve Race and Mike Nevard on some of the serious issues that faced the world of popular music. The MM had more of a jazz emphasis and featured each year the MM Poll which was more heavily slanted towards instrumental music than the NME Poll. However, the NME was more switched on to the way newspapers were heading hence its survival to the present."The final issue of Melody Maker will be published at Christmas, following which the Melody Maker's famous musicians' section will transfer to the weekly NME and the classified ads will migrate online to NME.com at the beginning of 2001."
(BBC on-line news December 15th 2000)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I could only get 2 right on the quiz!
OK then who was the worst singer of our KBGS period.
I would go for Aussie Brian Hyland, who had several hits, and I think a number one with 'Sealed with a Kiss'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Brian asks for the worst singer of our time at KBGS. There were quite a few. Worst singers? Adam Faith, a god to some, probably had the worst singing voice around at the time, but did some cracking songs with a cracked voice. But how’s about for cringe value: Petula Clark, the Highwaymen, Mike Sarne with Pauline Fowler, the Bachelors (Horace and his brothers!), the Honeycombs, Seekers, Ken Dodd, Herman’s Hermits (didn’t they do the Henry VIII mentioned earlier?), and Jackie Trent???? Sorry for these memories, I can see vomit being cleared across the world!! But all of the above had Number Ones in the period 58-65.

" Did Eddie Cochrane record How Much Is That Doggie In The Window? Did Ian Dury record The Sound of Music? Did Frank Zappa record Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep? So why did Elvis record dross?"
Sorry, but I don't want to go down this never-ending road, across the burning desert, of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. In this way your reasoning is unreasonable. And I certainly don't want to go down that road. Perhaps you didn't understand my post as it was meant to be understood.

I agree Brian M. Our namesake Hyland's certainly gotta be in the running for worst ever, particularly, as you say, because he wasn't merely a one "hit" wonder.
Weren't those other masterpieces "Ginny Come Lately" (What the Hell's that supposed to mean anyway?!) plus "Today is Cindy's Birthday" two of the others?

Mention of Radio Lux. has certainly stirred a few memories too. Does anyone remember:
1) the name of the "club" (presented twice weekly at 8.00pm, I think) by Jimmy Saville,
2) Elvis's membership number of said club (always quoted by Saville before playing anything of his),
3) the name of the single released by Saville himself in the early 60s. (Needless to say, it failed to chart despite being pushed regularly in the "Up and Coming" section of his show.

The TTDC or Teen and Twenty Disc Club was the name of Savile's show -wasn't Elvis supposed to have joined whilst stationed in Germany? Thankfully, I forget the name of Savile's record. Meanwhile I must jump to the defence of Brian Hyland! Crap, maybe...but at the time, sounds forever associated with a pubescent summer or two...

Ginny Come Lately was for me a classic pop song for the times, and remains so.It also afforded the budding guitarists like myself to think they were actually getting somewhere, albeit briefly, by doing that hammered A on first fret and sliding up to the second fret.

Elvis was no. 11321

Jimmy Savile's record was the execrable "Ahab the Arab"

Yes, well done Allan & I.W.
O.K., so what was the name of the Camel, jumped on and ridden silently through the night by "Ahab The Arab" (pronounced Ayrab, of course)? And, before anyone asks, NO - I didn't buy the record!
(Apologies for getting a bit far from KBGS now - I promise to stop it after this!)

Clyde.

Some of the dire records of that era are reminders of certain individuals. For example "Along Came Jones" by I-can't-remember-who is reminiscent of Allan - "Slow walking Jones, Slow talking Jones".
Any othet offers?

However - the song goes on: "Along came long, lean, lanky Jones...." - hardly reminiscent of yours truly!

One for Shaun:-

Bye Bye Miss American PYE,
Drove my chevvy to the levee but the levee was dry
Them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye
'Cos that'll be the day that I die.

(last line a tribute to Buddy Holly?)

I guess there must me nore referring to boys and masters. Whats the best one for Joe ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

How about "Jambalaya", to show what 7 years at KBGS did for our grammar?

"Well, goodbye Joe, me gotta go, me oh my oh,
Me gotta go pole the piroque down the bayou,
My Yvonne, sweetest one, me oh my oh,
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou."

etc.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 -65

I hope you're singin the original version by the mighty Hank Williams rather than the Carpenters' insipid rendition.

Surely the Fats Domino one!

Jerry Lee Lewis does a mean version too!

Now, Brian, if your going to include Don McLean then how about Vincent - "This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you, etc." - on second thoughts, maybe not.

Rock 'n' Roll and Kenny Prut actually crossed threads in the late '50s. The Bill Haley film "Rock around the Clock" eventually reached Keighley ("The Regent" I think.)Elsewhere there had been riots and ripping out of seats.I don't recall there being much to write home about from the Keighley showing but it was writ up in the local papers - and there were battles between the Keighley and Bradford "Teds". It was spread about that Prut was interested in the trend and that he enquired of 4th year BC Smith ( a prominent Smith House and school rugby player and meaty youth) if he was a rock and roller.Prut enquired with a smirk on his face. BC's response is not recorded.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52=60

Dylan's "Modern Times" : anyone got this masterpiece? I've followed BD's music ever since Like a Rolling Stone shook the airwaves, and I still find his work mesmeric. His voice now really does sound as if he's been on the neverending tour ( of the whisky joints).

Just watched Cliff Richard "mugged" by Piers Morgan on ITV3. Naff interview - but despite retrospective views about his career since, Cliff was a promising would-be UK answer to a string of US rock ikons - and he could "Move it!" - which was a theme taken up by the School XV of 1958-9 - which had fast hands, swift runners and won a lot.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60