KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Masters Nicknames

Wasn't "Mussolini" Heeney who tried his best to teach us German.In my case with very little success, but he did do a lot of shouting, bawling and spluttering usually ending up with a very red face for his troubles?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) d.r.boddy@btinternet.com

I have just remembered this guy's nickname.... I was introduced to Latin (1953) by an excellent teacher called Brown - who was called "Bubus" by boys senior to me. The reason for this is that he would insist on adding the alternative dative and ablative plurals for the declension of "bos - bovis" - which declines thus Bos, bos, bovem,bovis, bovi bove: Boves; boves; boves; bovum; bobus (or bubus); bobus (or bubus).

For his sins he was form teacher of 5C in Room 59 on the "cardboard" corridor. We were next door in 60. Brown had great control over his charges when he was there - although on one occasion when he was late for a form registration, the dustbin lid which 5C were using in practice for the discus crashed through the window into the corridor. Another "payback" was when he turned out for the staff against the school in a seven a side game at Stoneycroft (the usual name for the rugby ground next to the old KGGS field.) He went into a tackle on one of his form members who handed him off with a chop to the eye, leaving him with a black-eye for all to see in assembly next morning.

Mr Stockdale was always known as "Stoker" at school/
We once asked him if he approved,and he said "Yes" but preferred "Chuff-Chuff" or "Puff-Puff" because his initials were L.M.S.

50 years on I am sure he would have disapproved of "Puff-Puff"!.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Davchris@n3946.freeserve.co.uk

In the late '50s there was a maths teacher from Swansea called Morris. Some referred to him as "Dai". Our form christened him "Dominie" or "Dom" because of his imagined likeness to Dominie Sampson, the tutor in Scott's Guy Mannering which was our "O" Level novel. He was about 6 foot 4 and had the wingspan of an albatross. He objected to my cheerful nature and once because I repeatedly smiled, even after his instruction to desist, he lifted me clean out of my chair with a forehand that would have pleased Pat Cash. It was mandatory to get up from the floor smiling. Nil carburundum! There were rumours about his "manhood". Hence the calls of "Swing it, Dom" as he patrolled the classroom, hissing "Settling down, boys. Settling down". He knew his stuff and was a good teacher. He used the nmemonic(?) Some Officers Have Curly Auborn Hair To Offer Attraction to teach Sine, co-sine and tangent. He had to smile and blush, as we roared with laughter, because his lank ginger hair had the beginnings of a curl and/or wave.

'Rocks' Wilby.

Harry Blinks had the interesting trait of speaking french without moving his mouth. It made it really easy to follow the pronunciation (not).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) bill@bracewel.demon.co.uk

Hello Bill, nice to hear from you. I remember we had Harry Blinks for dictation when doing GCE French. As you say his mouth didnt open very much. But in our dictation came the word 'saucisson'. We hadnt come across that word before. He said it umpteen times for us nad he did try to open his mouth a bit more, to our great amusement. Allan J and Brian Craven may remember this also.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Remember "Big Jim Wilks" (Wilkinson, maths teacher)? He used to catch our bus - No.67 from Bradford - somewhere in the Stocksbridge area, where I believe he lived.
Jim had this neat trick of legging off the bus at the lights at the top of Cavendish Street on the occasions when it failed to stop there. (We lesser mortals were made to walk back from the bus station, of course).
Neat until one morning that is, when he must have missed his footing, or his briefcase was particularly heavy. We on the bus were treated to an enormous slapping noise as Jim's considerable posterior made contact with the pavement - or his front with a lamppost, we were never sure which!