KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Panoramas - how to get them

Good question,this has come up a couple of times and at one stage I contacted the incumbent Principal of Oakbank to see if there were any in the School archives - unfortunately not!
I have 2 panoramas, 1958 and 1960 - does this indicate that a photograph was taken every 2 years? If so, I'd certainly like to obtain a copy of any more that I'd be on.

Cheers
TP

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) tpdesign@primus.com.au

Current location (optional) www.studiofour.com.au

Surely, the answer lies with the photographer of these panoramas. Must be a Keighley firm. Might have the original negatives etc.

The school panoramic photo was taken usually every 4 years so that a boy who "did" 5 years would be on at least one photograph. I have photos for 1954 and 1958. Old Nick left a year later and a photograph was taken in April 1960 - this being Watthey's first year as Head. All were taken by Panora Ltd (Telephone Chancery 7779 - remember those London exchanges - the best known being Whitehall 1212). In 1954 and 58 they were at 56 Eagle St., WC1 and in 1960 at 67 Clerkenwell Road, EC1. No doubt some internet sleuth will be able to track down Panora - or its successor company.

Terry - interesting lead.

Some examples by that company are here:

Can't find much else...will keep sleuthing

Chris

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) cpfirth@singnet.com.sg

Current location (optional) www.kbgs.com

And I found this on another school site:

"Interestingly, Panora Ltd.'s negatives were deposited in 1986 with the Documentary Photography Archive (DPA) by the firm's managing director, who had sold his business but retained the negatives. These date from September, 1968, to July, 1985; earlier negatives have not survived. Panora Ltd was subsequently dissolved in 1989. DPA is an independent registered charity whose collections are housed at The Greater Manchester County Record Office."

Searching The Greater Manchester County Record Office I found these entries:

Keighley Public Library: Keighley Grammar School London based "Old Keighlians" Association 1946-1951 1 hit(s)
Keighley Public Library: Kenneth Preston, family papers 1924-1970 1 hit(s)

Both of these refered me to back to Keighley Public Library. I know that library has copies of the Keighlian Magazine so maybe it has photos too.

If anyone is willing to call to check (I am in Singapore) the contact is given as
Reference Librarian : Mrs P Barfield, 01535 618215

These below are at the library, note especially the papers from Kenneth Preston, English teacher in late 1930s to 1960s. There must be some good stuff in there.

Keighley Public Library: Keighley Boys' Grammar School, miscellaneous records 1931-1947 Keighley Public Library: Keighley Trade and Grammar School, group photograph of pupils 1920-1920
Keighley Public Library: Keighley Grammar School London based "Old Keighlians" Association 1946-1951
Keighley Public Library: Keighley Boys' Grammar School, printed ephemera 1937-1954 Keighley Public Library: Keighley Trade and Grammar School, records 1870-1926
Keighley Public Library: Keighley Boys' Grammar School, papers re dramatic productions by Kenneth Preston, English teacher 1954-1957 Keighley Public Library: The Rev John Waddington Feather, auctioneer, surveyor and valuer, Keighley, family and business papers 1919-1970
Keighley Public Library: Kenneth Preston, family papers 1924-1970

I called Keighley library, and there's quite a lot of stuff available on KBGS. Don't know if that includes panoramas.

Since I will be in England this week I will be making a special trip there to make copies of any good stuff -- soon to appear on the site!

I visited the library. There are three panoramas kept. 1920 (on the wall upstairs), 1946 and one without a date which could be 40s or 50s.

I also got a load of other material which I will post when I get time.

So where wer the stripey blazers in 1946? And is that Frankie Wellock with the Hitlerian 'tache?

The war was only just over in 1946 and there would still be clothing rationing. In 1952 there was no "compulsory" school uniform - although the green blazer with badge in house colours (Longsden-mauve; Smith-blue; Barrett- red; Brigg- yellow) was becoming the norm. It was around 1957 that the striped blazer (optional for 5th and 6th formers)was introduced. To the rest of the town they were known as "sticks of rock".

Re: Re: Panoramas - how to get them

I have located owners of 1936 and 1940 panoramas, and I'm hoping to get copies eventually. If I do I will put their images up. 1936 is the one with my father on I believe.

I have a panorama for 1950--a friend in Keighley copied it for me a few years ago.We had plain green blazers in 47-51.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Bill, I think it is your duty to scan and send a copy of your 1950 panorama to Chris for publication on the site. It would certainly have an interest for me and the friends I had at KBGS then.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I hear you Terry--I just don't know how I can tackle it without a great deal of trouble.It came to me in three pieces as a laser scan,and my framer had a heck of a job to put it together and frame it to look like the real thing.I am reluctant to disturb it.However,I should be able to come up with something,given time.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Re: Re: Re: Panoramas - how to get them

Here's a status of panaromas

1920s - one from the 20s in Keighley library
1932 - missing
1936 - on site (shortly)
1940 - missing
1946 - on site
1950 - missing
1954 - on site
1958 - on site
1960 - on site
1964 - on site
1968 - stopped doing?

would be good to fill in the gaps!

How about just scanning it through the frame to see how it comes out? If it's of reasonable quality then mail it to Chris, if not - don't.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

1940 Panorama

Thanks to David Seeley I now have the 1940 panorama. Will appear on the site shortly.

Does anyone know what time of year the panoramas were taken. Was it early part of the school year or later? e.g. was 1940 panorama likely to have been taken in Sep/Oct 1940 or Jan/Feb 1940.

1940 Panorama

Thanks to David Seeley I now have the 1940 panorama. Will appear on the site shortly.

Does anyone know what time of year the panoramas were taken. Was it early part of the school year or later? e.g. was 1940 panorama likely to have been taken in Sep/Oct 1940 or Jan/Feb 1940.

Most panoramas already on the site actually have the month(March or April) printed along with the year, Chris.
That certainly fits with my own inclusion on the 1960 shot - I was still in Yr2 at the time, and would have progressed to Yr3 by the following autumn.
No guarantee of what occurred in 1940 of course!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 - 65

Yes I think Brian C is right , I think probably April on return for the summer term

Can't find my father on the 1940 photo, although he told me he was there 1934-1940. Perhaps he left just before the photo. He was born March 1924 so presumably 1934-40 is correct assuming boys went there aged 11? (or could it have been 1933-1939?)

Some reference to the school uniform in the war years.This was the Green Blazer with a small School Badge, not individual House badge. There were arrangements for buying second hand blazers from boys who had outgrown theirs which in a time of acute rationing was a great help. Never did see the striped ones having moved away by then.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

1964 was the last school photograph taken.