KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Maths 6th Form

How odd. I occasionally have this dream that I am still at KBGS/Oakbank into my twenties. Unable to escape Joe's interminable assemblies. How, a pupil could manage to stay at the school until 21 is quite remarkeable. Surely a record for almost any state school, except perhaps some eccentric public school.

Purely by chance, I bumped into "Charlie" Jack (actual name Peter he admitted at the time) around 1972/3, shortly after moving to Edgbaston for my first job in the Midlands. He seemed to be competing with a colleague of mine for the attention of a certain female - unsuccessfully as I recall, although the final outcome eludes me!
With regard to 6th Form maths, 2 groups were formed in 1962, the "hotter shots" being taken (initially) by Tex Mitchell and lesser lights (including myself, Mike Sharpe, Robert Bracewell, Mike Deathe, ?? Judson, etc) by Albert Braithwaite. As I recall, there was a big change in the maths staffing around 1964 when Hughes and another guy (Can anyone help with his name?) were appointed simultaneously to replace Tex (departing) and "Basher" (relieved of 6th form teaching - much to his chagrin!).
Hughes, I have to say, proved to be the saving of my maths A-level in 1965 (2nd attempt!) as our group was getting pretty well out-of-touch with the standard by the time he arrived. He was indeed Head of Maths - a very well-focussed, competent teacher but like you, Shaun, I've no recollection of his first name. We nicknamed him "Twitch", however.

The other guy appointed with Hughes was a short stocky fellow from, I think, Manchester. He was another good teacher, and a good bridge player too. It's thanks to him and Hughes that I achieved what measure of success I did.
Brian Horton entered the Maths sixth the year after me after having taken 'O'-levels a year early so he would be a couple of years younger - so if you're out there Brian and your brain cells are working better than mine fill in some names for us.

Got it I think, Shaun!
I'm pretty sure Hughes's sidekick was the D.Webster B.Sc.(Manchester), who's to be found on the "List of Masters 1967/8" in the photographs section of this forum. The name rang a bell as soon as I saw it again, although he never actually taught me.

Yes - Webster - and I guess he's still only in his sixties. Hope he's living the life of Riley!
I think Hughes' first name may have been Brian.

I must have missed this topic when it first appeared, so referring to Shauns/Brian Cravens earlier messages, I was in the group which Brian referred to as the 'hot shots', this I think being the group of 5 referred to by Shaun, it contained, as Shaun says 'Wuz' Wearmouth, John Bracewell, Mike 'Tosh' Towers, myself . Damn I cant remember the fifth person.The first three were also doing 'double maths'. We had Tex in the lower sixth, then a temporary woman teacher till Christmas in the upper sixth , then Hughes. This group of five only managed one grade 'C' and four 'E's (Including myself).

Hope you didn't mean the life of EDDIE Riley, Shaun. I wouldn't have wished that on anyone, alive or dead!
I think you may be right about Brian (Hughes) also.

Come to think of it, Hughes must only be in his early seventies.
Hope he's living the Life of Brian.

Incidentally, in my first posting I didn't refer to Brian Moate, Tosh and John Bracewell because I was only talking about those of us who did Maths and Further Maths. There were many who took Maths with a couple of sciences, and maybe the odd other subject - too many to recount.

My mate says that his memory is brilliant - he can't remember the last time he forgot something.
I'm not in the same league as him, but I remember a couple of names from those 6th Form Maths days. Mike Wagstaffe? Stewart Bradley? He came from South Craven I think, to join our 6th form. Auchinleck? Didn't young Bennison show up here? Or was I in a parallel life?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) albcingu2000@yahoo.co.uk

Yes, Allan. Those names are familiar [except Wagstaffe]. Young Bennison was a smart lad - went to Oxford or Cambridge at 17(I believe). Could he be the one who inherited the table tennis table from the Maths form room?

I definitely remember Wagstaffe - a bespectacled lad. Didn't he join us at the start of the 6th Form?
But, wasn't (Michael?) Bennison that very shy, diffident lad who used to get teased rather too much? - and not only by other pupils!
By the way, glad to see you've surfaced at last Wiz.(That's what I always thought was your nickname too, and for the reasons you cite.) I recall how you and Slater used to display a mutual lack of respect which was quite amusing (to the rest of us anyway!). I think that would be whilst some of us were briefly learning a bit of German with him in L6?

I had an exchange with Mike Wagstaffe a couple of years ago. He lived in Riddlesden. The family had a caravan near Grassington and he and I cycled up there a couple of times at weekends . His Mum made some excellent home made lemonade which she gave us for the trip, but it didnt stop us from buying some ale (Actually I think we were on that terrible drink cider then), and looking for local girls to chat up.
Anyway Mike lives in Stansted Mountfitchet, near to the airport that took its name.
Anyone remember his cousin Jennifer? She was a big built girl and took organ lessons from Roland Windle at Temple Street Meths, as did I. She would have been good to give 'organ' lessons to.

Thanks, BC, for your comments. Wiz sounds much better than Wuss, sorry, Wuz.
I don't remember much about the Slater thing, apart from the fact that, had it not been necessary for me to get German O Level, for Cambridge entrance, which turned out to be a waste of time anyway, (pause for breath) I wouldn't have been in his class through choice - we had him for French lower down the school.
Don't know whether you picked up a message I posted the other day to do with Identities - it appears to be out of sync - it's in among the 2004's. And who set the clock for this forum, anyway, someone in Korea? It's certainly not GMT!!
And another thing . . . No, don't get me started.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) albcingu2000@yahoo.co.uk

Yes I saw your message, thanks Wiz (Alan), when my attention was drawn to it. Don't know how it got so far out of sync. though.
Smith's first name still doesn't ring a bell. Even though he was a bit of a mate of Mick Sharpe and myself in the 6th, I probably never knew his name. We always called him "Schmitt", but you're probably right about it being something else!
Someone said that this site runs on Singapore time, so your suggestion wasn't as far out as you might have been hoping! (Prior to that, I'd just assumed that the timings - like 4.00am etc. - were correct and that everyone else was as sad as me.)

Just to confirm again for newcomers like Wiz, this site runs in Singapore time becuase it is run by Chris Firth who lives in Singapore (and whom I have met whilst on a business trip there), in memory of his father who attended KBGS and who died last year. Chris didnt attend KGBS as the family moved to Peterborough.
Chris, perhaps this is an opportune moment to thank you for all the effort you put into this site. It seems to be really thriving now and many of us are getting a lot of pleasure out of using it.(I hope others agree!)

Re: Re: Maths 6th Form

So Wiz wuz Wiz wus he? I had thought Wiz wus Wuz but he wuzn't. Thanks to Brian Craven for setting me straight.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds